Stormblessed: A play based on The Way of Kings

A little context: When I first joined the Shard, I posted that I was working on a little fan project, a play based on TWOK. It's now been a year, and a lot has happened. 

First of all, to make this project possible, a TON of stuff has been cut. Shallan's story is completely gone, since it wasn't critical to a contained WOK. Dalinar is only introduced at the very end of the play, since his main storyline introduces a lot of political complications that a casual audience does not need to know to enjoy the production. Since Kaladin is the main character, we decided to really focus on him and his story. And our result; Stormblessed, a play based on TWOK. Secondly, and most importantly, this play is approved and authorized by Brandon himself. We have paperwork authorizing a production next year. 

I have spent a couple 100 hours writing and rewriting scripts, organizing props lists, and designing choreography and sets. It has been a long journey, and I am so happy that it is really happening. 

The main reason for this post is to ask the community for help and advice. Do you have any ideas on how to improve this project, and heighten the experience for the audience? What would be a cool addition, or something that you think is critical? 

Edited by Lighteyed Lieutenant
Typo

This sounds super interesting and some of what I am the most curious about is the production design and things like effects for spren or Stormlight. Is Syl going to have an actress, or potentially be a prop but with an offstage voice or something? Ideas for making things glow (I guess LEDS could make some convincing spheres etc)? Just very curious about what all you would do there.

Unfortunately, we don't really have a plan for the spren. It would be difficult to say the least, and we decided that it would be better to keep them as part of the "deeper" lore that doesn't really get an appearance. Syl will be played by an actress, and therefore human shape/size the entire time. For Stormlight, we are thinking LEDs for spheres, and those "fairy light" bands for Kaladin.

14 hours ago, boolamoo said:

Let's get down to business, to survive bridge runs.

Funny thing is, part of Kaladin's chasm kata is based off that choreography.

11 hours ago, The Stick said:

How would you be able to have chasms on the actual stage? Second, how could you do a chasmfiend?

We are building wooden platforms/state extensions to widen the stage. We'll have a gap in between two of them on one side of the stage, and that is where our "chasm" will be. The bridge will be placed across an actual gap. Sadly, chasmfiends will not exist, since all the plauteus are mostly offstage.

5 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

can i have a look at some of what you have written?

Yes! Here's act 1. (Keep in mind that some details have been changed to allow for our groups specific capacity.)

Stormblessed - Act 1.pdf

On 6/20/2024 at 10:53 PM, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Funny thing is, part of Kaladin's chasm kata is based off that choreography.

We are building wooden platforms/state extensions to widen the stage. We'll have a gap in between two of them on one side of the stage, and that is where our "chasm" will be. The bridge will be placed across an actual gap. Sadly, chasmfiends will not exist, since all the plauteus are mostly offstage.

Yes! Here's act 1. (Keep in mind that some details have been changed to allow for our groups specific capacity.)

Stormblessed - Act 1.pdf 195.28 kB · 9 downloads

thanks! cant wait to have a read through that. the entire thing sounds amazing!