Women's Script

Hyper129

Welcome to the Shard.  Please don't forget to let us know in an Intro Post (or your profile) what you have or have not read (whichever list is shorter - so we can avoid spoilers should you have questions). 

Also, please see the Sharder FAQ if you want to learn the tools of these Forums. 

5 hours ago, Hyper129 said:

I'm male but I want to learn the Stormlight Women's Script or some glyphs. Are there any good sources for this kind of thing?

I recommend reading this thread. Resources are also on the Coppermind. Also, note that for Glyphs, the are memorized, not read:

Spoiler

<Edited for length and relevance>

Isaac Stewart

Readers are trying to pronounce glyphs by reading them. Glyphs aren't read. They're memorized. Sounds might be found in glyphs.

Glyphs have evolved from the early days. Just like the Chinese character for "tree" doesn't look like a tree anymore.

Alethi glyphs are recognized by overall shape, not by the shapes/sounds that might be found within.

For example, the Bridge 4 glyph is still recognizable even if the component shapes are changed.

Hope this helps!

Argent

So let's see if I got it. The "kholin" glyphpair could, given enough time, no longer look like "khokh" & "linil"...

... but still be recognizable as "kholin" due to its overall shape?

Isaac Stewart

That is correct. More ancient glyphs will have slowly morphed away from the original sounds found inside.

General Twitter 2016 (Jan. 1, 2016)