Effects of Flaring Speedmetals:

Splinter of Virtuosity

Question

Hello! After nearly finishing the second era of Mistborn I found myself wondering about the mechanics of the new metals, Cadium and Bendalloy. I would imagine that the only way these metals could become more effective via Flaring or Duralium is by making the user even faster, or even slower. However, both flaring and the use of Duralium come at the cost of the metals burning much faster. This, to me, brought up the question of if flaring or burning Duralium accomplishes anything at all, it seems possible that moving, say seven, times as fast for three seconds could accomplish the same thing as moving four times as fast for much longer. I assumed that you must have already thought of this because I have never noticed Wayne or Marasi flare their metals, although that could just be a mistake of mine. Of course depending on what the speed of burning Bendalloy or Cadium is in relation to the increase you gain from flaring or burning Duralium, the question could have very different answers. I apologize if this question has been answered before, but thank you for taking the time to read it regardless!

1 answer to this question

20 minutes ago, Splinter of Virtuosity said:

Hello! After nearly finishing the second era of Mistborn I found myself wondering about the mechanics of the new metals, Cadium and Bendalloy. I would imagine that the only way these metals could become more effective via Flaring or Duralium is by making the user even faster, or even slower. However, both flaring and the use of Duralium come at the cost of the metals burning much faster. This, to me, brought up the question of if flaring or burning Duralium accomplishes anything at all, it seems possible that moving, say seven, times as fast for three seconds could accomplish the same thing as moving four times as fast for much longer. I assumed that you must have already thought of this because I have never noticed Wayne or Marasi flare their metals, although that could just be a mistake of mine. Of course depending on what the speed of burning Bendalloy or Cadium is in relation to the increase you gain from flaring or burning Duralium, the question could have very different answers. I apologize if this question has been answered before, but thank you for taking the time to read it regardless!

More info on this topic in The Lost Metal. If you still have questions feel free to return after you finish Era 2.