Appearances section

I think it would be nice to have a section at the end of each person or group or thing that shows what books they appeared in. Kind of like what Wookieepedia has. I get that the Notes section says where it was found, but it can get pretty messy and hard to look through when there are a lot of notes, like for main characters.

It is a pretty big task, but I think it would be pretty useful.

So we have actually had this thought. We updated the "Featured In" parameter on infoboxes to list the first appearance instead. I think it's something that will happen... eventually. It depends how that would look, and then the slow work of actually implementing this.

I think ultimately it'd need to be a subsection on the page itself. If you've been to Wookieepedia, you know how long those can get!

On 7/17/2024 at 3:45 AM, Treamayne said:

Just to start brainstorming - what if it was a separate infobox (maybe in the History section) with only two categories: Appears in | Mentioned in?

I think that would be OK in the short/medium term.

I'm not sure what OP intended, but if we care about "appearances" would that just be on a book basis or would we want to be specific and catalogue the chapter appearances?

3 hours ago, clowncarcrash said:

I'm not sure what OP intended, but if we care about "appearances" would that just be on a book basis or would we want to be specific and catalogue the chapter appearances?

Well, the OP only mentioned sources, and specified "like Wookiepedia" (which I hope we don't emulate, I just looked at an example, and it's a mess to me - not organized by any method I can discern (time, release, chronology or media type (book, movie, comic)). I would say that by-chapter is excessive, since that info is in the notes and references (even if, like the OP mentioned, it gets "messy" for main characters and worldhoppers), not to mention if this info box links to the book's summary, then that info is already there as well (since each chapter lists the characters for that chapter and notes if they appear without dialog, or are mentioned without appearing - example).

You mentioned short/medium term - what do you see as a long-term solution?

On 7/17/2024 at 6:57 PM, Chaos said:

I think ultimately it'd need to be a subsection on the page itself. If you've been to Wookieepedia, you know how long those can get!

Agreed; probably either a fixed-height, scrollable element (like Wookiepedia) or a collapsible element

6 hours ago, clowncarcrash said:

Given the amount of work this would require, I think we would want to have our long-term plan from the start

I would agree with Treamayne that only going to the level of books, not chapters would be best (also, yes, linking to the summary pages sounds good and we would definitely want to have a standardized order--probably release order)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 12:01 PM, Starwatcher said:

Agreed; probably either a fixed-height, scrollable element (like Wookiepedia) or a collapsible element

Given the amount of work this would require, I think we would want to have our long-term plan from the start

I would agree with Treamayne that only going to the level of books, not chapters would be best (also, yes, linking to the summary pages sounds good and we would definitely want to have a standardized order--probably release order)

I am a mod over at the Assassin's Creed Fandom wiki and this is generally how we do it (scrollable, release order, media or dlc level). We include templates for first mention vs first appearance, mentioned only, indirect mention, non canonical appearances, or other context for their appearance such as if it is through IU artwork only.