Thoughts...

I just finished The Way of Kings. Wow. I mean, that was a literal 1007 pages; it was hard, even for me. Took me three days of near constant reading to finish it. 

So anyway. I'm kinda just here, announcing that, but while I'm here, what was everyone's favorite character? I'm pretty sure I can infer that @Hyper129's favorite character was Wit, but what about you others?

I think mine was Syl, but I still don't know what she is.

Bridge Four!

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but from the WoK cast (and that place in their respective arcs, etc)  I think my favorites are most of Bridge 4 (especially Rock and Lopen), Syl, and maybe Pattern.  

Also Wit, but he's a special case.  

Don't click on this until he reveals himself but:

Spoiler

Hoid (Wit is my favorite general Cosmere character

My favorite Stormlight character is Syl, although Wit has some of my favorite quotes I've ever heard.

(Like the one in my signature at the bottom)

2 hours ago, iLewoArtist29 said:

I just finished The Way of Kings. Wow. I mean, that was a literal 1007 pages; it was hard, even for me. Took me three days of near constant reading to finish it. 

So anyway. I'm kinda just here, announcing that, but while I'm here, what was everyone's favorite character? I'm pretty sure I can infer that @Hyper129's favorite character was Wit, but what about you others?

Bridge Four!

Welcome to the Shard. I see from your post in Hyper's Intro post you have read Mistborn (and Skyward/Reckoners, but those are not Cosmere). Is it just the first Mistborn Trilogy?  Have you read any of the other Cosmere works?

If no, have you considered your plan for other Cosmere works (skipping them, mixing them in between SA novels, etc.). Slight Spoilers (ish):

Spoiler
  • SA1 - Way of Kings - References, but not spoilers, for Elantris, White Sand and Mistborn Era 1
  • SA2 - Words of Radiance - Heavy references for Warbreaker (in addition to the above)
  • SA3 - Oathbringer - References to Alloy of Law, Sixth of the Dusk and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell  (in addition to the above)
    • Recommended to Read before Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
  • SA 4 - Rhythm of War - Reference to almost everything
    • Recommended to read before The Lost Metal and The Sunlit Man.

Reading Order Thread that also has links to other Reading Order Threads. My personal opinion is there is no one "correct" reading order, but fans should have enough information to make informed decisions based on personal preferences. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Welcome to the Shard. I see from your post in Hyper's Intro post you have read Mistborn (and Skyward/Reckoners, but those are not Cosmere). Is it just the first Mistborn Trilogy?  Have you read any of the other Cosmere works?

If no, have you considered your plan for other Cosmere works (skipping them, mixing them in between SA novels, etc.). Slight Spoilers (ish):

Reveal hidden contents
  • SA1 - Way of Kings - References, but not spoilers, for Elantris, White Sand and Mistborn Era 1
  • SA2 - Words of Radiance - Heavy references for Warbreaker (in addition to the above)
  • SA3 - Oathbringer - References to Alloy of Law, Sixth of the Dusk and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell  (in addition to the above)
    • Recommended to Read before Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
  • SA 4 - Rhythm of War - Reference to almost everything
    • Recommended to read before The Lost Metal and The Sunlit Man.

Reading Order Thread that also has links to other Reading Order Threads. My personal opinion is there is no one "correct" reading order, but fans should have enough information to make informed decisions based on personal preferences. 

I read Tress of the Emerald Sea, and also Mistborn Era Two. What other Cosmere books are thre? I don't really have a plan other than reading every Sanderson book I possibly can :) I also read Elantris, though that was a long time ago.

Edited by iLewoArtist29

20 minutes ago, iLewoArtist29 said:

I read Tress of the Emerald Sea, and also Mistborn Era Two. What other Cosmere books are thre? I don't really have a plan other than reading every Sanderson book I possibly can.  I also read Elantris, though that was a long time ago.

If you checked out those reading order threads, they pretty much list everything. You can also check out this Coppermind page. Probably the big one is Warbreaker (recommended before Words of Radiance - but not spoilery so it can come after, you just may miss references in WoR and Oathbringer). It's also free on the website.

On 7/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, iLewoArtist29 said:

Bridge Four!

Personally, I have a hard time choosing between Dalinar and Kaladin; Kaladin's a tad more relatable, gets more action, and is just awesome.

Dalinar is more mature in and I generally see him as a roll model, and is just awesome

So, a tie between the two, but each for different reasons. 

Edited by Trusk'our

My favorite character changes ever time I read the SA. They change within each book. I find it amazing  how much that changes based on how much I've changed since I've last read them. For example, I used to despise Shallan. I couldn't stand her. She would grind my nerves to nothing, every time I read her. But in the last few years, as I've confronted my own insufficiencies with my mental health, and sought treatment and healing, I have come to connect with and adore Shallan in ways that 5 years ago me would be floored. I have too many favorite characters, for a multitude of reasons, and I love it that way.

2 hours ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

My favorite character changes ever time I read the SA. They change within each book. I find it amazing  how much that changes based on how much I've changed since I've last read them. For example, I used to despise Shallan. I couldn't stand her. She would grind my nerves to nothing, every time I read her. But in the last few years, as I've confronted my own insufficiencies with my mental health, and sought treatment and healing, I have come to connect with and adore Shallan in ways that 5 years ago me would be floored. I have too many favorite characters, for a multitude of reasons, and I love it that way.

2 hours ago, iLewoArtist29 said:

I love that you've been able to reconcile to Shallan. Originally, I thought she was kinda stuck up as well, but her depth was revealed more later.

We'll see what SA5 brings (no spoilers please, I'm avoiding previews) but, so far, I'm the opposite. Discussed in more detail here - but basically,I liked Shallan in the early books, but really started to dislike her in Oathbringer (to the point where that is my least favorite SA book - pretty much all due to her sections) and RoW didn't improve much for me. 

It really is hard to choose a favorite character, but I am relaly looking forward to more Renarin in the back-half, because I think he will be my favorite once we get enough backstory and screentime to put context on what we know (which is not much). 

4 minutes ago, iLewoArtist29 said:

Me not knowing who that is because I still haven't gotten the next book *cries*. 

Did I spoil something accidentally? Do you mean Renarin (Adolin's Brother - he is in Way of Kings)? Or were you referenceing a post further up than mine?

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

16 hours ago, iLewoArtist29 said:

Me not knowing who that is because I still haven't gotten the next book *cries*. 

Dude you asked me to give them to you and we haven't seen each other in a while and we probably won't so relax I'm sorry