Chicken Tier List Suggestions

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Beer Can Grilled Chicken (S-tier, I promise you)

7 minutes ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

Can you explain what that is?

Beer can chicken is when you roast a chicken vertically (there are special holders for this) with a can of beer occupying the cavity (like where aromatics are put when stuffing a turkey) - the result being that as the chicken cooks, the beer boils from the can moistening and flavoring the meat. 

I would guess that a "grilled" version would be doing this on a (charcoal) grill to add smoke to the meat. It would likely need to be indirect heat and a "low and slow" process to get the center cooked through before the outside overcooks.

12 minutes ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

Can you explain what that is?

You literally cook a whole chicken on a grill, standing upright with an opened can of beer shoved up it's bum.  All the flavor of your favorite beer batter but basted internally as the thing cooks.  

Beer can chicken Wire rack:  https://www.amazon.com/Koohere-Chicken-Holder-Premium-Stainless/dp/B08RX6L4SM

Recipe:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214618/beer-can-chicken/

EDIT:  

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

Beer can chicken is when you roast a chicken vertically (there are special holders for this) with a can of beer occupying the cavity (like where aromatics are put when stuffing a turkey) - the result being that as the chicken cooks, the beer boils from the can moistening and flavoring the meat. 

I would guess that a "grilled" version would be doing this on a (charcoal) grill to add smoke to the meat. It would likely need to be indirect heat and a "low and slow" process to get the center cooked through before the outside overcooks.

Yes, exactly!

Edited by Quantus

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

8 minutes ago, Quantus said:

You literally cook a whole chicken on a grill, standing upright with an opened can of beer shoved up it's bum.  All the flavor of your favorite beer batter but basted internally as the thing cooks.  

Beer can chicken Wire rack:  https://www.amazon.com/Koohere-Chicken-Holder-Premium-Stainless/dp/B08RX6L4SM

Recipe:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214618/beer-can-chicken/

Thanks for the explanation, seems like a very interesting meal (I hope you’re able to do it with something other than beer, since I don’t do that), again haven’t tasted and I can’t know if it is s-tier. To be honest, I don’t know how I would feel about this if I ate it.

S - n/a

A - Southern Fried, Crack Chicken, Tom Kha Gai

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth

D - Microwave to Lukewarm, Grilled w/cinnamon and syrup

F - Raw

Idk what that is - n/a

Spoiler

Please make sure to not judge other people’s opinion, remember this all is on a screen, I’m not insulting you.

Edited by Vyzkel Willbender

16 minutes ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

Thanks for the explanation, seems like a very interesting meal (I hope you’re able to do it with something other than beer, since I don’t do that), again haven’t tasted and I can’t know if it is s-tier. To be honest, I don’t know how I would feel about this if I ate it.

S - n/a

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth

D - Microwave to Lukewarm, Grilled w/cinnamon and syrup

F - Raw

Idk what that is - n/a

Hide contents

Please make sure to not judge other people’s opinion, remember this all is on a screen, I’m not insulting you.

If your concern is alcohol content, all the alcohol evaporates off while it's being cooked.  But for the purposes of this chicken method I dont think the alcohol is actually doing anything mechanical (the way it does with bread baking or beer-batter, etc) so a non-alcoholic beer (or anything water-based, really) should work just fine.  It's more about the internal steam/boil reservoir and generic aromatic flavors that you prefer.  And to clarify, I dont like the taste of beer but I very much love how it blends with the chicken, it's a whole different thing flavor-wise.  

Posted (edited)

If your concern is alcohol content, all the alcohol evaporates off while it's being cooked.  But for the purposes of this chicken method I dont think the alcohol is actually doing anything mechanical (the way it does with bread baking or beer-batter, etc) so a non-alcoholic beer (or anything water-based, really) should work just fine.  It's more about the internal steam/boil reservoir and generic aromatic flavors that you prefer.  And to clarify, I dont like the taste of beer but I very much love how it blends with the chicken, it's a whole different thing flavor-wise.  

Ooh, I see, that was actually my concern, I’ll bump it up then.

S - Canes Chicken Fingers

A - Southern Fried, Crack Chicken, Tom Kha Gai, Beer Can Chicken

B - n/a

C - Lemonhead Broth

D - Microwave to Lukewarm, Grilled w/cinnamon and syrup

F - Raw

Idk what that is - n/a

Edited by Vyzkel Willbender

Just to add something at the other end of the extreme that I still do cook sometimes:  

Flash Frozen chicken breasts boiled in a pressure cooker (ie. the Instapot).  It's not Raw, but it's otherwise Flavorless and really just gets done to be chopped, chilled, and added to salads or something later on.  But it qualifies as cooked so it should clear the F category.  

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Just to add something at the other end of the extreme that I still do cook sometimes:  

Flash Frozen chicken breasts boiled in a pressure cooker (ie. the Instapot).  It's not Raw, but it's otherwise Flavorless and really just gets done to be chopped, chilled, and added to salads or something later on.  But it qualifies as cooked so it should clear the F category.  

Alright, it’s probably better than Raw though(it’ll probably be the only one in that category)

S - n/a

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth

D - Microwave to Lukewarm, Grilled w/cinnamon and syrup, Flash Frozen

F - Raw

Idk what that is - n/a

6 minutes ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

Alright, it’s probably better than Raw though(it’ll probably be the only one in that category)

S - n/a

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth

F - Raw

Idk what that is - n/a

Hehe, yeah, F = Might Legitimately Harm You, and Im drawing a blank on anything that would qualify but not be just some consequence of Raw, other than maybe one of those Ghost Pepper Challenge Jerky things.  

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Hehe, yeah, F = Might Legitimately Harm You, and Im drawing a blank on anything that would qualify but not be just some consequence of Raw, other than maybe one of those Ghost Pepper Challenge Jerky things.  

But you see, some people actually love those, so I’m not able to put it in F anyway, the only way another could go into F is if you seasoned the chicken with knives.

1 minute ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

But you see, some people actually love those, so I’m not able to put it in F anyway, the only way another could go into F is if you seasoned the chicken with knives.

Fair enough.  The Challenge ones I'm talking about are literally bred and formulated to hurt people, so I'd personally say folks who claim to love them as an actual snack are just as self-destructive as those who claim to love their chicken "with a little pink in the middle". 

Fair enough.  The Challenge ones I'm talking about are literally bred and formulated to hurt people, so I'd personally say folks who claim to love them as an actual snack are just as self-destructive as those who claim to love their chicken "with a little pink in the middle". 

*gags*

1 hour ago, The Stormfather said:

burnt to ash

Ash as in a fine powder or still in the general shape of chicken?

1 minute ago, The Stormfather said:

The latter.

Got it(guess I was wrong, there can be more than one f-tier)

S - Canes Chicken Fingers

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth

F - Raw, Ash

Idk what that is - n/a

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SPECTRE120 said:

Chicken flavored Ice cream.

Ya know what, it’s an eh.

S - Canes Chicken Fingers

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth, Chicken Ice Cream

F - Raw, Ash

Idk what that is - n/a

18 minutes ago, SPECTRE120 said:

Chicken flavored Ice cream.

16 minutes ago, strmblsd said:

The times when you wish you could put negative rep on things

I don't know if anyone but me ever saw the show, but Chef Richard Blaise had a short-lived show called Hungry Games (which I thought was awesome, so of course it was cancelled first season) where he explored aspects of the culinary industry outside of the kitchen. In one episode, whe was exploring how naming and presentation affected diner's reception of a food item. One of the experiments in an episode is he made a Salmon dish - to one half of the customer's he labelled and presented it as "Salmon Ice Cream" and to the other half "Salmon Mousse" (same dish, different name, differnent bowl). The first got universally 1-2 star results, the second all 4-5 star results. 

Anyway - your idea made me recall that episode. . . 

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I don't know if anyone but me ever saw the show, but Chef Richard Blaise had a short-lived show called Hungry Games (which I thought was awesome, so of course it was cancelled first season) where he explored aspects of the culinary industry outside of the kitchen. In one episode, whe was exploring how naming and presentation affected diner's reception of a food item. One of the experiments in an episode is he made a Salmon dish - to one half of the customer's he labelled and presented it as "Salmon Ice Cream" and to the other half "Salmon Mousse" (same dish, different name, differnent bowl). The first got universally 1-2 star results, the second all 4-5 star results. 

That show sounds awesome.

10 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

chicken cordon bleu is really good 

I would like to point out that this was my ideal childhood meal, it’s amazing(you’re right about the deli meat version though).

S - Canes Chicken Fingers, Chicken Cordon Bleu

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth, Chicken Ice Cream

F - Raw, Ash

Idk what that is - n/a

5 minutes ago, Vyzkel said:

I would like to point out that this was my ideal childhood meal, it’s amazing(you’re right about the deli meat version though).

S - Canes Chicken Fingers, Chicken Cordon Bleu

B - Beer Can Chicken

C - Lemonhead Broth, Chicken Ice Cream

F - Raw, Ash

Idk what that is - n/a

I would like to make a suggestion.. change ash to congratulations.. because that's what it is truly called..(have you seen those videos like raw, well done, overcooked, and congratulations)