Who the quotes from the Knights of Wind and Truth belong to?

5 minutes ago, Dreamwa1ker said:

After reading the chapter 5/6 epigraphs I am leaning Sigzil. Jasnah is really tempting but maybe too obvious. Sigzil I could definitely see writing a book about this history as part of his "Worldsinger" background

I would agree with the "too obvious" objection, based on the precedent forever set by Mistborn if nothing else, but both Oathbringer and Rhythm of War were books with epigraphs from the in-world books of the same title, where it was clear quite quickly, based on events transpiring in the book, that they was written by Dalinar and Navani respectively.

On 8/15/2024 at 1:39 PM, The Sovereign said:

I understand that, but the writing itself seems too scholarly to be Szeth, hence my guess it is Shallan. It should also be noted Shallan was also watched as a child and was aware.

True but someone writing about other people wouldn't pause to talk about how they were watched. If shallan is the author she would need to be involved too. Not totally impossible given her desire for Truth which is heavily emphasized in Words of Radiance and her general character are. 

"Szeth-son-son Vallano, Knight Radiant of the Skybreakers, wore white on the day he was to write Wind and Truth."

Okay, so that was maybe a little dramatic, but I'm pretty confident in Szeth being the one writing it. And it somewhat serendipitous that I just happened to be re-listening to Oathbringer for the hundredth time and read chapters 7-9 shortly thereafter. 

[During his Skybreaker training, Szeth and Nightblood are talking.]

"I knew a voice like yours once, sword-nimi." The whispers?

"No. A single one, in my mind, when I was young." Szeth shaded his eyes looking across the glistening lake. "I hope things go better this time." - OB Ch. 92. Water Warm as Blood

• The WaT author states
    • I should have known I was being watched. All my life, the signs were there. (Ch. 1 Epigraph)
    • I first knew the Wind as a child, during days before I knew dreams. (Ch. 2 Epigraph)
    • I have read that in the ancient days, the Wind often spoke to both human and singer. It would then mean that the Wind stopped talking not because of Odium, but because of people who began to fear her…

Or to worship the Storm instead.* (Ch. 4 Epigraph)

• All agree the first key moment came when Kaladin Stormblessed listened. Though not an Edgedancer, he did a fine impression of their oaths. (Ch. 9 Epigraph)

• Furthermore, Kaladin does not currently know how to write and while he could learn at a later date, I doubt he would refer to himself in the 1st person. By acknowledging WaT might be written at a significantly later date, for all we know it could be a character 10-20 years after WaT during the time skip between Stormlight's 2 parts. If that were the case, I think Szeth being a historian and philosopher is incredibly appropriate if he survives the cleansing of Shinovar and eventually becomes the law. Jurisprudence, the theory and philosophy of law, requires a lot of reading of both history and laws. Szeth searching and maybe finding peace from the voices through ...justice would be almost poetic justice.
  • Anyway, I digress, Szeth can probably already read, as evidenced by going through Taravangian's hit-list without need for clarification; Also, being Shin, he also is not inhibited to read or write because of any Vorin piety. If he can read, he can probably write or at least learn to better than Kaladin or any other Vorin men. Especially if it's during the decade+ long timeskip. 

*Kaladin Stormblessed neither worships the storm nor fears the wind. The Wind is probably talking to him because he has had some affinity for it and heights since he was a child, as evidenced by his both surviving a highstorm while strung upside down (TWOK) and splitting one with his hand (OB). 

Syl tells Kaladin that she came to the PR because knew she would find him, because the wind knew him and she is of the wind.

If it's not Szeth, the next best possibility is Jasnah, though there isn't as much evidence for it IMO. 

• WaT is admittedly written in a scholarly way, but a scholar could transcribe the words of a person less well read and written than they. 
  • "As a historian, I find such nuances relevant. As a philosopher, I find them enticing." (Ch. 5 Epigraph)
    • Jasnah is in fact both historian and philosopher.
  • "Regardless, the events surrounding the cleansing of Shinovar are of specific relevance, and I am doing my best to record what I can discover of the Wind’s own words regarding them. Though, now that the Wind and Heralds have vanished, I have only two sources who can speak of these events.

They are my witnesses."  (Ch. 6 Epigraph)

• Could the two witnesses of the cleansing of Shinovar be both Kaladin and Szeth? Knight Radiants of both Wind and Truth? I find it extremely unlikely that they both survive, but one dares to hope.... 

• If it is Jasnah, then perhaps the mystery surrounding her childhood "madness" will soon be revealed. I wonder... was Gavilar's traumatic reaction to it perhaps influenced by either Odium or Unmade?

Aside: At several points I found myself thinking of Sazed--it's very much like his own writing style, except without any I thinks ....yet.

10 hours ago, Crustin said:

Okay, so that was maybe a little dramatic, but I'm pretty confident in Szeth being the one writing it.

No way. And you even quoted why

10 hours ago, Crustin said:

"Regardless, the events surrounding the cleansing of Shinovar are of specific relevance, and I am doing my best to record what I can discover of the Wind’s own words regarding them. Though, now that the Wind and Heralds have vanished, I have only two sources who can speak of these events.

Szeth is first person involved in Cleansing of Shinovar, it is literally why he is going there. Why he woud need to discover what happened? He was there!

Also, he didnt think of himself as Historian, not Philosopher, while this still can change. Jasnah or Sigzil is still more likely candidate, but Sigzil never mentioned about strange voices he heard. Also, I saw very interesting theory, without any evidence, tinfoil basicly, that this will be Dabbid, healed after he bonded Spren.

19 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

No way. And you even quoted why

Szeth is first person involved in Cleansing of Shinovar, it is literally why he is going there. Why he woud need to discover what happened? He was there!

Also, he didnt think of himself as Historian, not Philosopher, while this still can change. Jasnah or Sigzil is still more likely candidate, but Sigzil never mentioned about strange voices he heard. Also, I saw very interesting theory, without any evidence, tinfoil basicly, that this will be Dabbid, healed after he bonded Spren.

I respectfully disagree with your points on Szeth. The exact words do not refer to the investigation of the events of the cleansing, but rather the Wind's words on them. For all we know, Szeth is not a witness to them, it could be Kal and Syl, though I doubt they will both live.

2 hours ago, The Stick said:

I respectfully disagree with your points on Szeth. The exact words do not refer to the investigation of the events of the cleansing, but rather the Wind's words on them. For all we know, Szeth is not a witness to them, it could be Kal and Syl, though I doubt they will both live.

But last sentence of that quotation sugests that author is talking about entire "Clensing of Shinovar" - he is taling about Witnesses of those events. He uses the same word on the start, and about with sources.

Szeth was mentioned by his name in today's epigraph so it's not him, but we have another piece of information. Syl is learning how to write. Syl even said she's Kaladin's scribe. Can it be Syl? The writing style doesn't fit Syl at all, not to mention she's not a historian nor a philosopher, so it's probably not her. But can it be some other Spren? I can't think of any Spren who fits those criteria, however we don’t know a lot of them.

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

Szeth was mentioned by his name in today's epigraph so it's not him, but we have another piece of information. Syl is learning how to write. Syl even said she's Kaladin's scribe. Can it be Syl? The writing style doesn't fit Syl at all, not to mention she's not a historian nor a philosopher, so it's probably not her. But can it be some other Spren? I can't think of any Spren who fits those criteria, however we don’t know a lot of them.

I believe the book is written in the future, so as a kids writing gets better with age so must syls.

Additionally, the chapter 1 and 2 epigraphs fit so perfectly, syl has known the wind since a child, as honor Spren are basically sentient or more evolved windspren

I dont think it is Syl. The next epigraph is:

For while the contest of champions was to happen in the East, a different contest was to happen in Shinovar. And one that the Wind swore was equally vital. Perhaps more so.

—From Knights of Wind and Truth, page 8

We know Contest of Champions is meant to happen in Urithiru, and here is described as "in the East". So it is someone who has point of reference in western part of Roshar, maybe in Azir.

Edited by Bzhydack
Empty quote.

While the Syl idea is intriguing it just doesnt sound like her, unless her personality transformation is going to be much more significant then shown so far.

I'm leaning more towards the author being someone from Shinovar - either someone we haven't met yet, or one of Szeth's family members (the reference point being to the west of there, szeth being just szeth while kaladin gets an adjective etc.)

3 hours ago, Shacharma said:

I'm leaning more towards the author being someone from Shinovar - either someone we haven't met yet, or one of Szeth's family members (the reference point being to the west of there, szeth being just szeth while kaladin gets an adjective etc.)

From how this is written I dont think this is someone from Shinovar - author is talking about Shinovar like something he didnt have acess too/ is far away from him/her. Also, arent Shin using normally phrase Man-son-someone, when naming people? Szeth is basicly always Szeth-son-son-Vallano in his POV. Isnt He even talking to Dalinar as Dalinar-son-God at some point? Can someone check this?

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

From how this is written I dont think this is someone from Shinovar - author is talking about Shinovar like something he didnt have acess too/ is far away from him/her. Also, arent Shin using normally phrase Man-son-someone, when naming people? Szeth is basicly always Szeth-son-son-Vallano in his POV. Isnt He even talking to Dalinar as Dalinar-son-God at some point? Can someone check this?

He definitely refers to Nale as Nin-son-God in OB.  He refers to Dalinar as Dalinar Kholin. 

To you point though, if Szeth or another Shinovar scholar were to write a book about people they would probably figure out their heritage to do the -son-___ thing. 

I also don't think the author will be a person we haven't met. The only other Shin besides Szeth we've met is that trader in tWoK Rysn interlude and maybe Sixteen in Lasting Integrity who looks Shin, but is probably from a different planet. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

48 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

He definitely refers to Nale as Nin-son-God in OB.  He refers to Dalinar as Dalinar Kholin. 

To you point though, if Szeth or another Shinovar scholar were to write a book about people they would probably figure out their heritage to do the -son-___ thing. 

I also don't think the author will be a person we haven't met. The only other Shin besides Szeth we've met is that trader in tWoK Rysn interlude and maybe Sixteen in Lasting Integrity who looks Shin, but is probably from a different planet. 

Aaa, yeah, it was about Nale, not Dalinar. THX @Child of Hodor

What if Author is Gawx? He is not the warrior type, so he definitly can become Scholar and Philosopher Emperor of Azir. He also was around Lift long time, so maybe he heard some Spren atracted to her?

Edited by Bzhydack

12 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Aaa, yeah, it was about Nale, not Dalinar. THX @Child of Hodor

What if Author is Gawx? He is not the warrior type, so he definitly can become Scholar and Philosopher Emperor of Azir. He also was around Lift long time, so maybe he heard some Spren atracted to her?

First of all, he's the Prime Aqasix now (no - he has always been Prime), called Yanagawn the First, you disrespectful chull! :D

Second, once you venture into "he could become..." a scholar and philosopher with a completely different outlook or voice than we've seen heretofore, storms, why not Gaz? Or even Moash? Everyone's an option now!

I was so loopy the other day from having stayed up all night to read last week's chapters ASAP, lmao. Totally not Szeth. But I do think it's Jasnah after looking it over and thinking about it for a week. 

Also, it's kinda hilarious I say it's not Kaladin because he can't write, and then in the insanely small window of time before he departs Uruthiru they stop to get materials so he can learn on the way to Shinovar. 🤣

Edited by Crustin

25 minutes ago, Crustin said:

I was so loopy the other day from having stayed up all night to read last week's chapters ASAP, lmao. Totally not Szeth. But I do think it's Jasnah after looking it over and thinking about it for a week. 

Also, it's kinda hilarious I say it's not Kaladin because he can't write, and then in the insanely small window of time before he departs Uruthiru they stop to get materials so he can learn on the way to Shinovar. 🤣

I dunno. I assume the writing materials are for his "scribe" who is Syl, who as a spren can barely manipulate a pen enough to write a single letter at a time... Can he really learn to read/write, AND to play that Trailman's Flute well enough for the Wind to play back what he plays, all in the next ten - no, eight days?

3 hours ago, robardin said:

First of all, he's the Prime Aqasix now (no - he has always been Prime), called Yanagawn the First, you disrespectful chull! :D

Second, once you venture into "he could become..." a scholar and philosopher with a completely different outlook or voice than we've seen heretofore, storms, why not Gaz? Or even Moash? Everyone's an option now!

Pardon my bad manners, of course he is, and always been, Yanagawn the First!

My assumption is based on fact Author is refering to the place of Contest of Champions as "in the East". Urithiru is located almost in the center of Roshar, so this rules out anyone from Alethkar, Jah Keved, Kharbrant, Thaylenah, Herdaz, Purelake, Shattered Plains, Horneater Peaks, New Natanatan and Urithiru itself. Seems to be also not from Shinovar. And Azimir is known for its documents.

Its a longshot, I know, but it have some sense I think.

7 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Pardon my bad manners, of course he is, and always been, Yanagawn the First!

My assumption is based on fact Author is refering to the place of Contest of Champions as "in the East". Urithiru is located almost in the center of Roshar, so this rules out anyone from Alethkar, Jah Keved, Kharbrant, Thaylenah, Herdaz, Purelake, Shattered Plains, Horneater Peaks, New Natanatan and Urithiru itself. Seems to be also not from Shinovar. And Azimir is known for its documents.

Its a longshot, I know, but it have some sense I think.

Veristitalian Ethid is from Azir and she's researching history. I can't really think of anyone else who fits current criteria.

13 hours ago, robardin said:

Moash would be a genuinely hilarious troll move, it makes no sense but part of me is rooting for it now just for the audience reactions xD