Wind and Truth: Chapters 3 and 4

31 minutes ago, Shacharma said:

Specifically, i'm referring to "Perhaps it is the new storm, making people begin to reconsider that the wind is not their enemy." - I dont think humans consider wind the enemy, but given the betrayal of the ancient Spren the listeners might? and this fits better with the new storm being viewed as a positive thing?

I think it's going to end being someone like Venli's mother? Thude? or even Rlain? (especialy given that now rlain is a truthwatcher?)

If it was written by a Singer, they wouldn't say "people" but "humans." Listeners are calling other Listeners as their people, while they refer to humans as humans. WoR I-1:

Fortunately, this time they’d arrived well before the humans,
[...]
Step by step, storm by storm, depression claimed her people—the listeners, as they called their race. “Parshendi” was a human term

Humans 100% consider winds as their enemy due to Highstomrs. Their entire society, culture, currency and architecture is based on a constant fight against winds of storms. And I don't think that the new storm is a positive thing, rather it's something terrible which made people realize that Highstorms and winds were their allies all along.

More spren to consider: the storm striders that are seen in the highstorms. Kaladin and Shallan see them while trying to survive the high storm in the chasms in WoR, and I’m pretty sure Dalinar sees one in Oathbringer in the flashback when he stomps out into the highstorm to find his missing knife.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Stormstrider

Edited by Crucible of Shards
Added coppermind link

45 minutes ago, Shacharma said:

Specifically, i'm referring to "Perhaps it is the new storm, making people begin to reconsider that the wind is not their enemy." - I dont think humans consider wind the enemy, but given the betrayal of the ancient Spren the listeners might? and this fits better with the new storm being viewed as a positive thing?

I think it's going to end being someone like Venli's mother? Thude? or even Rlain? (especialy given that now rlain is a truthwatcher?)

Well just as I think the mention of having "read" about "ancient days" of "both human and listener" precludes Kaladin (as someone who can't read), I would think it precludes Thude, Rlain, or Venli's mother as listeners who similarly did not read or write (the listeners having an oral tradition).

Venli maybe could in Envoyform, or have learned to do so while working with Raboniel who certainly could, as a scholar. 

2 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

More spren to consider: the storm striders that are seen in the highstorms. Kaladin and Shallan see them while trying to survive the high storm in the chasms in WoR, and I’m pretty sure Dalinar sees one in Oathbringer in the flashback when he stomps out into the highstorm to find his missing knife.

I’ve gotten a few RAFO’s from Brandon on them. Finding out who they are is one of the things I’m most excited for. It makes me realize we don’t really know that much about Roshar and that this current timeline is post-apocalyptic. They must reside in the Origin somehow.

1 hour ago, Shacharma said:

Perhaps it is the new storm, making people begin to reconsider that the wind is not their enemy

Interesting. I took this to mean we're going to see a third storm by the end of the book for some reason. Like The Wind grows and enters player 3. Highstorm, Everstorm, and Stormystorm.

No idea why I interpreted it like that but for some reason I did.

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

If it was written by a Singer, they wouldn't say "people" but "humans." Listeners are calling other Listeners as their people, while they refer to humans as humans. WoR I-1:

Humans 100% consider winds as their enemy due to Highstomrs. Their entire society, culture, currency and architecture is based on a constant fight against winds of storms. And I don't think that the new storm is a positive thing, rather it's something terrible which made people realize that Highstorms and winds were their allies all along.

I think the quote "people begin to reconsider that the wind is not their enemy" is implying that people are starting to consider the wind as an enemy now.  Since their original position is "the wind is not their enemy" it means that to reconsider that position they now feel the wind is their enemy.  Which would potentially make sense - humans or listeners might easily have considered the wind just a force of nature.  I wouldn't call a real life hurricane an enemy.  But now with the Everstorm, it is truly an enemy since it is directly serving Odium.  At least, that's my take.

3 hours ago, GudThymes said:

Interesting. I took this to mean we're going to see a third storm by the end of the book for some reason. Like The Wind grows and enters player 3. Highstorm, Everstorm, and Stormystorm

My pet theory is that Dalinar loses the contest of Champions and becomes Odium's Spren of Storms (Odium's counterpart to the Stormfather). Then, at the climax of the book, (I think Dalinar losing will be the low point in Act 3) the Everstorm and Highstorm will merge, as will Dalinar and the Stromfather to make a Warlight Storm.

Or maybe Dalinar loses at the end of the book and because of Bondsmith-y powers mergers himself with the Stormfather to make the Warlight Storm.

7 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

If Adonalsium left them, then 16 would make sense right?

12 Old Magic Spren We Know
9 Unmade
Nightwatcher 
Wind God
Stone God

2 Possible Old Magic Spren

Stormfather / Rider of the Storms - Possibly a newcomer in the actual pantheon or corrupted in some way
The Sibling = Possibly a newcomer or corrupted in some way by The Tower

2 More

Possibly Cusicesh but Brandon has said he is lower power than The Nightwatcher?
EDIT: Sun - mentioned by Szeth
EDITL Stars - mentioned by Szeth

Horneater Gods that helped make the peaks:
the gods of the waters
the gods of the mountains
gods of the tree

Wouldn't it be 10? 16 is an important number only post-Shattering, which these Spren and Roshar as a whole predate!

Infant, I think we're actually missing something incredibly obvious when it comes to what these "Old Magic" Spren are, they're the Spren of the 10 essences!

Essences.PNG.e06ddb954a5ef55977dbe4ae1b0f0c24.png.55dd85f7a54856d9e2e779c7b3448266.png

Zephyr - Wind

Vapor - Water God

Spark - Sun God

Lucentia - Star God

Pulp - Nightwatcher/Tree God

Blood - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Tallow - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Foil - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Talus - Stone

Sinew - ??? Perhaps, BaAdoMisharm

Edited by Geneio
Clarity

43 minutes ago, Geneio said:

Zephyr - Wind

Vapor - Water God

Spark - Sun God

Lucentia - Star God

Pulp - Nightwatcher/Tree God

Blood - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Tallow - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Foil - ??? Perhaps one of the Unmade

Talus - Stone

Sinew - ??? Perhaps, BaAdoMisharm

Almost.

But Water God definitly will be related to Blood Essence, this is Essence of not - oil fluids, including Water.

Just now, Bzhydack said:

But Water God definitly will be related to Blood Essence, this is Essence of not - oil fluids, including Water.

I was thinking that, but Vapour is literally a form of Water and Blood feels like it's too strongly connected to actual blood.

If feels like the chapter its pointing to Dalinar dying (along with the Stormfather)  and being replaced by Kal bonded to the Wind, which is being portrayed as a reasonable facsimile of SF. The remorse Wit showed may not have been for Kal, but for Syl who doesn’t survive. Both deaths would carry a ton of emotional weight fitting for the climax book.

I think this route also meshes well with Kal’s character arc, which feels like someone learning “true leadership”, which is both the spear and nurturing, so that they can effectively take the mantle of a Bondsmith and extending Kal’s arc into the second five books.

Edited by Lavitz1023
Spelling correction

10 hours ago, Lavitz1023 said:

If feels like the chapter its pointing to Dalinar dying (along with the Stormfather)  and being replaced by Kal bonded to the Wind, which is being portrayed as a reasonable facsimile of SF. The remorse Wit showed may not have been for Kal, but for Syl who doesn’t survive. Both deaths would carry a ton of emotional weight fitting for the climax book.

In that case Sigzil, in fact everybody knowing anything about Roshar, should be aware of that fact and there could be no doubt that Kaladin survives.

Wow, chapter 4 is a significant quote one after another. Many pretty clear revelations, but also a few puzzling points I've noted down:

“Give it a try. It has the same fingerings as the one you lost and recovered, though not the same… capacity.

What capacity was it, and will that make it things harder for Kal somehow? Also, I wonder if there's any significance to the flute being played the way it is - with a little self-made wind. It's not hard to imagine a sentient, self-directed wind could play something like that even on its own. Even if to help, just a little bit.

“Exactly,” Wit said. “Now go. The world needs the two of youmore than you, or it, or anyone other than your humble Wit yet realizes.

This looks like Kaladin and Syl will have some very specific part to play as a duo. They have always been a team, but it was more Kaladin physically doing things with Syl's support. Sounds like this dynamic may change and Syl will have an equally active and frontline part to play. Which aligns with their fight to come not being a physical one, though may also mean something about Syl's nature will make her more present in the Physical Realm.

“One of the rhythms of Roshar,” Syl said with a nod. “Made into a song, with the tones of the gods.”

My memory may be a bit rusty on this one. Did we get anything on these gods' tones before and how they relate to the rhythms?

“Then listen,” Wit said. “And the Wind… she will listen to you in return.”

"I want you to practice with that flute until you make the sound return to you. Because that will mean Roshar is listening.”

Now, what the Wind/Roshar can practically do if they listen is the question. Also, these two quotes side by side make me think Hoid uses Wind and Roshar almost interchangeably here.

You’ve lived for others for so long, Kaladin. What happens when you try living for you?

This is odd, especially coming from Wit, who doesn't really believe Kal will make it. When should he find time to live for himself, then? His time with family was somthing, but  that's ending now and all he's got left is 10 days of a crazy-tough mission and - according to Wit - nothing after that. Is there something about this mission itself that he must "do for himself" to push it forward?

But know that you’re not coming back to aid Dalinar, whatever he thinks.

Dalinar opened it a moment later. “Have you finally finished with him, Wit?” the man asked. “I’ve been waiting for a storming hour.”
“He’s all yours,” Wit said, striding away. “Remember what I told you.”
“I will,” both Kaladin and Dalinar said at the same time. They glanced at each other.

The first quote - just a bit ominous. Dalinar waiting for help that isn't coming looks like an accident waiting to happen. I wonder if what Wit told him relates to this somehow, or is about something else entirely.

EDIT: Referring to a few more points made in this thread: 

On 8/12/2024 at 6:14 PM, paperstones said:

This completely makes me believe all Unmade or OG Rosharan Spren left over from Ado. So is this Ba-Ado-Mishram? Or another. I think it is though. 

Ba-Ado-Mishram. Just saying. Probably means nothing. Probably...

On 8/12/2024 at 6:07 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

“Those words came to me from one who claimed to have seen the future,” the voice said, echoing in the hallway. Feminine, familiar. “ ‘How is this possible?' I asked in return. ‘Have you been touched by the void?’
“The reply was laughter. ‘No, sweet king. The past is the future, and as each man has lived, so must you.’“
‘So I can but repeat what has been done before?’ 
‘In some things, yes. You will love. You will hurt. You will dream. And you will die. Each man’s past is your future.’ “
‘Then what is the point?’ I asked. ‘If all has been seen and done?’
‘The question,’ she replied, ‘is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path.’

"The past is the future, and as each man has lived, so must you.’" compare with WoK ch43: "And yet, that wind seemed to whisper to him over and over. Life before death. Life before death. Live before you die."

In general, The Wind seems to be pushing hard on the Radiant Ideals. "You cannot pick the destination, only the path" - how familiar. Could she be the origin of them, or the first one at least? Also, if this is The Wind speaking, she seems deeply involved with the Spiritual Realm, which may mean we'll get more of it not only from Shallan's side, whether that's connected to BAM or not.

15 hours ago, Lavitz1023 said:

I think this route also meshes well with Kal’s character arc, which feels like someone learning “true leadership”, which is both the spear and nurturing, so that they can effectively take the mantle of a Bondsmith and extending Kal’s arc into the second five books.

Can't remember where, but Kaladin did mention something about the wind being his "element", but the storms not so much. Despite getting his powers out of them, and being, well, windy, which struck me as a little odd then. Now it seems to be definitely going somewhere.

Edited by Ailvara

1 hour ago, Ailvara said:

Wow, chapter 4 is a significant quote one after another. Many pretty clear revelations, but also a few puzzling points I've noted down:

What capacity was it [about Hoid's flute], and will that make it things harder for Kal somehow? 

My memory may be a bit rusty on this one. Did we get anything on these gods' tones before and how they relate to the rhythms?

Now, what the Wind/Roshar can practically do if they listen is the question. Also, these two quotes side by side make me think Hoid uses Wind and Roshar almost interchangeably here.

["What happens when you try living for you?"] is odd, especially coming from Wit, who doesn't really believe Kal will make it. When should he find time to live for himself, then? 

["Remember what I told you", to Dalinar, apparently about either Kaladin or the quest he's planning to send him on] - just a bit ominous. Dalinar waiting for help that isn't coming looks like an accident waiting to happen. I wonder if what Wit told him relates to this somehow, or is about something else entirely.

Hoid called it a "Trailman's Flute" when he gave it to Kaladin, so I'm guessing it's Invested in some way that the ordinary, but same-fingering learner version is not.

We have known there are Tones for each God (since RoW), and Rhythms are "orthogonal" to tones - thus the tones of the Gods can be set to different rhythms in different melodies.

As we know from various POVs in previous works, Roshar has "rhythms" that the singers/listeners are attuned to, and different from the rhythms of Odium. I'm hoping that the "Song of Mornings" ends up being what called humanity like a beacon to Roshar (I presume from Ashyn).

Hoid refers to the Wind as "Roshar listening and singing back" because it is as old as Roshar, created by Adonalsium at the same time as the planet and its storming workings.

"What happens when you try living for you?" - I actually found that comment heartening from Hoid. I don't think he foresees Kaladin's death in the coming days, rather that he does not expect to see Kaladin again, which is different, and this probing question to Kal suggests there IS something for Kal to "live for", and not just for the next eight days.

Like, I also don't think Rock is dead. Just... Not ever coming back to Roshar.

And as a Sunlit Man spoiler, 

Spoiler

Sigzil of the Future seemed to think it could be possible for him to be seeing Kaladin while on Beacon, when it turned out to be a projection of Hoid instead.

And lastly: there just HAS to be a reason B-A-M has "Ado" as a "middle name". It'd be rather disappointing otherwise. 

23 hours ago, robardin said:

Like, I also don't think Rock is dead. Just... Not ever coming back to Roshar.

Do you mean Kal here? Otherwise I'm confused as to why you mention Rock.

36 minutes ago, Geneio said:

Do you mean Kal here? Otherwise I'm confused as to why you mention Rock.

I was making a parallel about how one could "never see someone again" (as Kaladin apparently thinks Wit feels about him), yet that person not be dead.

Whatever happened to him off-screen in RoW when he returned to the Horneater Peaks, I am pretty sure Rock is not dead. Just... Gone.

Just a gut feeling, of course - but I will note that all along Rock said he would have to "go to the gods" for using a weapon, that he has revered Syl as a fragment of divinity, that the Horneaters view the other side of Cultivation's Perpendicularity (Shadesmar) as the domain of gods, and that Skar and Drehy relayed news upon returning such that "it seemed Kaladin wouldn't be seeing Rock again".

It seemed to me that Kaladin felt Rock's absence at Teft's memorial more as a "gang's not all here" feeling and not mourning his death as he was Teft's.

Now, I don't think it's as simple as that Rock was exiled to join the Horneater clan that lives in Shadesmar full-time - we had mention of such a group in RoW - because Kaladin has been to Shadesmar and no doubt could easily get there through an Oathgate. But whatever the details of Rock's fate, I think it involves some kind of exile through the Shardpool.

And that's also not to say that that's what I think will happen to Kaladin, as far as Hoid thinks it might turn out. Just that Hoid (perhaps with a Fortune-based foretelling) acting like that conversation in KWoT Ch 4 was the last time he'd see Kaladin face to face, doesn't equate to foreseeing him dead.

Edited by robardin

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

I was making a parallel about how one could "never see someone again" (as Kaladin apparently thinks Wit feels about him), yet that person not be dead.

Whatever happened to him off-screen in RoW when he returned to the Horneater Peaks, I am pretty sure Rock is not dead. Just... Gone.

Just a gut feeling, of course - but I will note that all along Rock said he would have to "go to the gods" for using a weapon, that has revered Syl as a fragment of divinity, the Horneaters view the other side of Cultivation's Perpendicularity (Shadesmar) as the domain of gods, and that Skar and Drehy relayed news upon returning such that "it seemed Kaladin wouldn't be seeing Rock again". It seemed to me that Kaladin felt Rock's absence at Teft's memorial more as a "gang's not all here" feeling and not mourning his death as he was Teft's.

I don't think it's as simple as that Rock was exiled to join the Horneater clan that lives in Shadesmar full-time - we had mention of such a group in RoW - because Kaladin has been to Shadesmar and no doubt could easily get there through an Oathgate. But whatever the details of Rock's fate, I think it involves some kind of exile through the Shardpool.

Exiled Horneaters becoming Worldhoppers is a very interesting idea and I wonder if we've seen any in other books if it's true!

I never thought Rock was dead either, I had assumed he was going to be put into jail or serve some sort of slavery like the Truthless of Shinovar.

On 8/13/2024 at 6:50 PM, Ailvara said:

This looks like Kaladin and Syl will have some very specific part to play as a duo. They have always been a team, but it was more Kaladin physically doing things with Syl's support. Sounds like this dynamic may change and Syl will have an equally active and frontline part to play. Which aligns with their fight to come not being a physical one, though may also mean something about Syl's nature will make her more present in the Physical Realm.

Or alternatively, they'll go on to Shadesmar or even the Spiritual Realm. I have to point out that Brandon already made a reading that implies a mass transfer to the Cognitive Realm in western Roshar.

Apparently her name is derived from "light" - "adoda", as in Adolin. Or the other way around.

The first quote - just a bit ominous. Dalinar waiting for help that isn't coming looks like an accident waiting to happen. I wonder if what Wit told him relates to this somehow, or is about something else entirely.

Dalinar is a general. He will not base his plans on a mission of uncertain results. But it raises the question of what will happen to Ishar.

4 minutes ago, Geneio said:

Exiled Horneaters becoming Worldhoppers is a very interesting idea and I wonder if we've seen any in other books if it's true!

Then why are they unaware of other worlds? Or Adonalsium? In the Cosmere dead has two different meanings. If Horneaters are indeed to live in Shadesmar, they could be Cognitive Shadows. Much cheaper in terms of supplies.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Then why are [Horneaters] unaware of other worlds? Or Adonalsium? In the Cosmere dead has two different meanings. If Horneaters are indeed to live in Shadesmar, they could be Cognitive Shadows. Much cheaper in terms of supplies.

Horneaters engage in trade with worldhoppers through the Shardpool, so I don't think they're "unaware of other worlds" since they would obviously know those "people in the spren world" were not from Roshar.

Dawnshard Ch. 7:

"Aluminum," Lopen said, still floating above the deck a few feet. "Yeah, it's weird stuff. Can block a Shardblade, Rua tells me, if it's thick enough. They get it from Soulcasting, though only a few can make it, so it's pretty rare."

"Can get from trade," Cord said. "In Peaks. We trade."

"Trade?" Huio said. "Who trade?"

"People in spren world," Cord said.

Huio cocked his head, rubbing his chin.

45 minutes ago, Geneio said:

They should appear monstrously huge to people from other worlds, though. It would be impossible for them to be inconspicuous.

Also, uninvested Rosharans should have a very hard time on other worlds. With higher gravity, less oxygen than they are used to and infections (stormlight prevents most infectious diseases), worldhopping should be pretty deadly for them.

On 8/12/2024 at 12:15 PM, alder24 said:

Oh, yeah. There was a lot of stuff. We know what the voice is talking to Kaladin, but it's interesting that changing Odium's Vessels somehow allowed the Wind to manifest more. Was Rayse doing something to her?

Another interesting factoid is that the story of Wandersail was composed using the Rhythms of old gods of Roshar, that were guiding Ashynites during their migration to Roshar. I'm wondering if the entire story of Wandersail is about this migration. If that's the case then what the dead emperor means and what were the crimes committed by natives - could it be that the emperor was Rosharan old gods who were "replaced" as deities by storms, Stormfather and Honor/Cultivation as the ch 4 epigraph said? And how does the betrayal of Dawnsinger's gods play into it - now I'm certain that those gods were those ancient spren, not Honor and Cultivation. It was them who commanded Dawnsingers to allow humans to settle. But how did those gods betray them? And who is therefore the ancient god of stone? It makes sense now why Shins refuse to walk on stone - it's literally a god. Too many questions! Eila Stele:

Also Wit said Ishar can't be helped and Kaladin won't return to aid Dalinar - which  I think is true.

I’m 90% sure that BAM was the ancient god of either Spren or Stone. And I lean towards Stone because of all the buildup towards BAM, Shinovar stone shammanate, possible existential threat to the planet Roshar which is almost entirely made of stone, and the Recreance all converging to the same book. 

And then that leaves room for Sja Anat to be the ancient god of Spren.

And Mishram's capture was connected to Honor! Was it the deathstroke that finished Honor? How was Mishram connected to Honor? Maya said the absence of Honor is the reason why breaking bonds creates Deadeye now. 

Important to note that right before the capture of BAM, one of the gemstones in the archive said “Honor is changing” (and it didn’t sound like it was in a good way.) Point being, if we’re interpreting Maya correctly that Honor died before the actual Recreance, and the Radiants knew with basic certainty that Honor was alive right before it, strong case to be made that the capture of BAM was the killing blow to Honor just based on the timing alone. And here I’ll note that Kelek said that they betrayed BAM, which is consistent with theories that to kill a Shard you have to force them to go against their Shardic intent in some way.

And I was just looking at the death rattles for unrelated reasons and found:

Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?

Edited by coolsnow7

On 8/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, teknopathetic said:

If Adonalsium left them, then 16 would make sense right?

12 Old Magic Spren We Know
9 Unmade
Nightwatcher 
Wind God
Stone God

2 Possible Old Magic Spren

Stormfather / Rider of the Storms - Possibly a newcomer in the actual pantheon or corrupted in some way
The Sibling = Possibly a newcomer or corrupted in some way by The Tower

2 More

Possibly Cusicesh but Brandon has said he is lower power than The Nightwatcher?
EDIT: Sun - mentioned by Szeth
EDITL Stars - mentioned by Szeth

Horneater Gods that helped make the peaks:
the gods of the waters
the gods of the mountains
gods of the tree

Might need to add Ur to this list, the voice that spoke to Venli in RoW.

It’s possible that the Sibling is the new form of Ur, corrupted by Honor/Cultivation. Also possible that it’s the same as the Stone God and/or Horneater Mountain God.