Soulcast blood questions

I always believed that soulcasting required something to change into something else. When Jasnah soulcast Shallans blood was she simply doing it to purify out the poison?  

Do you think it would be possible to soulcast new blood into a trauma patient who needs a transfusion?  What would you be turning into blood if the patient is already hypovolemic?  

1 minute ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I always believed that soulcasting required something to change into something else. When Jasnah soulcast Shallans blood was she simply doing it to purify out the poison?  

Do you think it would be possible to soulcast new blood into a trauma patient who needs a transfusion?  What would you be turning into blood if the patient is already hypovolemic?  

I took Jasnah's "soulcast blood" to mean she was soulcasting the poison molecules into untainted blood (thereby removing the poison from the blood). I would imagine though, that once they find Intraveneous techniques, a skilled Soulcaster could use a Saline Drip to add liquid volume to a body and soulcast the saline to match the body's current blood. 

14 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

I took Jasnah's "soulcast blood" to mean she was soulcasting the poison molecules into untainted blood (thereby removing the poison from the blood). I would imagine though, that once they find Intraveneous techniques, a skilled Soulcaster could use a Saline Drip to add liquid volume to a body and soulcast the saline to match the body's current blood. 

I read it as a little more of a full Blood Replacement, changing all the fluids in her bloodstream (blood and poison) to the Soulcasting Essence standard universal donor since she couldnt be sure of the specific poison to target it. An instant Oil Change.  

12 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I believe she just soulcasted her blood back into blood and by doing this she Soulcasted poison into blood as well. WoK ch 48:

“Shallan,” Jasnah’s voice said, anxious, very soft. “I’m going to have to Soulcast your blood to purify it. It will be dangerous. Extremely dangerous. I’m not good with flesh or blood. It’s not where my talent lies.”

18 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Yes. Doesn't really matter what, as long as it provides enough blood. 

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

I believe she just soulcasted her blood back into blood and by doing this she Soulcasted poison into blood as well. WoK ch 48:

This is a stupid question given that the answer is probably 'The magic takes care of that'

But are blood types not a issue? I feel like having it soulcast to O- automatically is a cop out. Why would soulcasted blood automatically be the right type? 

Especially since Jasnah is not good with flesh soulcasting, how would she even know what type to make the blood?

Since they are ignorant of blood types, does that simply not factor in?

Not a big deal, but I hadnt considered that until this post. 

1 hour ago, CtrlAltDepressed said:

This is a stupid question given that the answer is probably 'The magic takes care of that'

But are blood types not a issue? I feel like having it soulcast to O- automatically is a cop out. Why would soulcasted blood automatically be the right type? 

Especially since Jasnah is not good with flesh soulcasting, how would she even know what type to make the blood?

Since they are ignorant of blood types, does that simply not factor in?

Not a big deal, but I hadnt considered that until this post. 

WoBs:

Spoiler

Tesh (paraphrased)

How does the whole DNA and blood type thing work?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a sort of universal donor.

English Reading Series at BYU 2018 (Feb. 23, 2018)

Questioner

If Soulcast blood is human blood, does that mean Soulcast meat is people meat?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that, like-- when it has a blood type, and things like that-- I don't know enough about blood. I didn't mean to imply it's human blood. I'm just saying, it has all the attributes of blood, and it could be ascribed to something specific. That's where my mind was going. If they were asking, "Is this human blood?" No, that's not necessarily-- some of it is. Soulcast meat is definitely not. Soulcast blood, probably is most of the time. But it is-- there are, like, certain derivations of it that happen. It's more complicated, in other words, than what I-- than a simple answer can give. So, is Soulcast blood human blood? You could use it for blood transfusions, most if it, unless, in certain instances, you couldn't. Like, it's more-- Those sorts of questions, I have to circumlocute them so much.

Let's just put it this way. You can eat-- The meat is not human meat, but the blood can be used for blood transfusions. Is that enough? Yeah, we'll go with that.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

ccstat

When Jasnah talks about soulcasting the 8 different types of blood, is she referring to transfusion typing within humans (e.g. ABO+/- on Earth) or to different kinds of blood between species (e.g. human vs axehound vs greatshell vs Aimian, etc)?

Brandon Sanderson

Both, though people on Roshar haven't hit upon the levels of complexity in blood types that we know.

KingSloth

Did these arise naturally on Roshar, or did Honor/Cultivation get lazy on templating humanity and copying existing?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. (Sorry.)

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 31, 2015)