Trust no one, and your trust will never be betrayed. 

Trust everyone, and you might just be Outha Airs-Locke.

~

Ow, why did his back hurt all of a sudden?

HELLO OUTHA.

Lilo jumped, then frowned at the voice. Only his mother called him Outha since he had joined the Secreta. They had given him his new name upon joining, and he liked it.

It was just about the only thing he liked about his time with the Secreta. 

Sure, the mystique had been fun at first. Skulking around at night, doing pompous ceremonies in candlelit rooms, it had an appeal. But he was done with the Secreta. He had told the Most Secret that he was leaving just a little bit ago. 

Who would call him Outha? Surely not a Secreta trying to get him to cone back.

"Who're you?" He asked, feeling brave in his defiance.

I AM DEATH.

"Death?! What? How? I'm not dead!" He protested.

I ASSURE YOU THAT YOU ARE.

"But how?"

THE SECRETA DO NOT TAKE KINDLY TO DISLOYALTY. 

"I never should have left, Lilo said mournfully. 

I DOUBT IT WOULD HAVE MADE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE. I FEAR I'M GOING TO HAVE A BUSY NEXT FEW DAYS.

~

Welcome to MR70 - Ankh You! This game is going to be set in the Discworld universe, with all the wackiness that entails. Writeups will be relatively light (probably never longer than the above), but I will be accepting death roleplays if you feel inclined to make them longer.

If you want some Co-GMing experience, shoot me a PM, but I'm not really desperate this game.

You can find the rules here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dt_HkWXwAoGXHgBAeAUtLrzbQIPhvutik6DvCzh7OVI/edit?usp=drivesdk

In doc format (note that they're intentionally weirdly formatted, there's links to the sections in an ordinary order at the top)

Alternatively, you can find them within the forum in the spoiler below.

MR70 - Ankh You!

Spoiler

Basics:

Spoiler
  • There will be a community execution every cycle

• Ties will result in all tied players dying

• There is a vote minimum of -1

• Every cycle will be 48.0000hours

• A player cannot take more than one action in a single cycle.

• The write up will notify if PMs are open. If they are not, you may open a one on one PM with an action

• PMs must include yourself.

• Group PMs are not allowed 

Alignments:

Spoiler

The Secreta: Ankh-Morpork's finest secret society. The Secret Society of Secret Societies. They'll never see it coming. You get a factional kill** every cycle. It will take up an action. You will also get a group doc to conspire* in. You win when you outnumber the The Ankh-Morporkians. 

The Ankh-Morporkians: Ankh-Morpork's… not so finest. The Public Society of Being Mostly Normal. You saw it coming. You don't get any special abilities, quantity over quality, right? You win when all of The Secreta are dead.

Roles:

Spoiler

Lord Vetinari: Your word is law, and you just so happen to be the best conniver in the history of Ankh-Morpork. You can redirect a player, and when you do, you learn their role. If you are tied with a player (or several), you will not die.

Commander Vimes: You're the best**** commander in Ankh-Morpork. And it doesn't hurt that you have a werewolf on your side. You can discover a player's alignment, but if Lord Vetinari has redirected them, they will always appear to be village.

Golem: You are indestructible*** and must always follow your orders. You have an extra life, but you must always follow a rule given to you at the start of the game. Rules will be approved by the IM but will be something along the lines of these:

• Your first vote must not be on a unique player

• You must have no more than five emoticons nor less than three in each post

• You must not use quote boxes on even numbered cycles

• You must not start PMs, but you may respond

The first time you break your rule, you will lose your extra life for that cycle. The second time you will lose your extra life permanently. 

DEATH: You can ask two questions, whoever dies next must answer one of them truthfully, the other is at their discretion. You can only ask each question once and one of the IM, Co-GM, and me will decide if questions are too similar. If the dead player does not respond by the end of the turn, both will be answered truthfully by one of the GMs.

Wizard: You will gain a random ability every cycle. If you choose to use this ability, you select your target(s) and a random action will be redirected to you.

• Roleblock

• You may roleblock a player, stopping whatever action they took that turn.

• Action scan

• You may discover who a player targets 

• Anonymous message

• You may post an anonymous message with a word count limit of 300 words. I'll let it slip a little bit over once or twice of it's funny.

• Protect

• You may protect a player, including yourself, from any attacks.

• Redirect 

• You may redirect a player's action onto a player of your choice.

• Remove a vote

• You may change a player's vote to a no-vote, canceling it out.

The Librarian: You can kill a player every cycle, but it will fail unless at least two of the below apply:

• Silence. (They voted on two or more different players that cycle)

• Books must be returned no later than the date shown. (They created or responded to two different PMs that cycle)

• Do not meddle with the nature of causality. (They edited at least three different posts that cycle. Merged posts will count)

Moist Von Lipwig: You may change a player's vote to another player, but if whoever they voted on dies, your original target's action will be redirected to you. So long as you are alive, PMs will require an action and will be made by me or the Co-GM. Once you die, players may make PMs as they please.

A. E. Pessimal: While you may be brave enough to face any enemy, it's hard to come out unscathed. Discover the identity of your killer when you die. While not occupied with dying, you may use your government inspector prowess to determine who a player targets with their action. 

Mort: You can read the journal of a dead player and discover who they targeted on a turn of your choice.

Order of Actions:

Spoiler

Wizard Roleblock 

Wizard Redirect 

Vetinari Redirect

Moist Action Redirect

Mort's Action Scan

DEATH'S QUESTIONS ARE CONFIRMED

Wizard Message

Vimes Alignment Scan

Moist Vote Shift

Wizard Vote Cancel

Librarian Kill

Secreta Kill

Wizard Protect

A. E. /Wizard Action Scan 

DEATH'S QUESTIONS ARE ASKED

Clarifications (See doc for potentially more up to date Clarifications):

Spoiler

Vetinari's redirect always takes precedence, but Moist's redirect cannot be redirected (if his vote manip causes a redirect, not even Vetinari can change Moist's victim's action)

~

The action scans can be redirected, but can also see redirects

~

What are the parameters around redirecting? 

If  redirect A gets redirected, the person that redirect A was redirecting is what's changed. 

~

When does Death get a response to their question? Can they ask one of each type of question per game or per round? 

The dead player will have one cycle to answer. Death will receive their answer at the end of that cycle. They may ask each one only once per game.

Does Wizard know what their ability is before they activate it? What's the timeline there eg C1 learn action, c2 can use it. 

C1 Starts, Wizard receives his ability for the cycle, they can then choose to use it and will tell me who they target, then a random action (including the kill) will be redirected to them. C2 they receive their next ability and so on. It's like a standard mistborn but with a cost attached.

~

How do PM's work after Moist dies? 1 on 1 still? 

I assume you mean Moist? Group PMs are still not allowed, but they can make one on one's freely.

~

Are roles unique? 

No. 

Very Important Clarifications (VICs):

Spoiler

*apologies, ritualicate

**ahem, sorry, factional Ankh-Morpork experience

***provided there aren't any men with picks around

****and only

Participants:

Spoiler

Future Corpses I mean, Players:

Spoiler
  1. @Aeternum the silent and stoic type, apparently 
  2. @Coffeecat as In the watchiest of Watchmen
  3. @xinoehp512 as Lobsang of the History Monks. No, not that one, no not that one either.
  4. @Ashbringer as Schroedinger's AraRaash, who looks a little out of place
  5. @Araris Valerian as Reg Shoe for whom mostly dead really is slightly alive
  6. @RoyalBeeMage You can call them... nobody
  7. @Experience, almost late but worth the wait!
  8. @Lego Mistborn who is so new his character doesn't exist yet

Pinch-hitters:

Spoiler

Spectators:

Spoiler

Sign-ups will close a little over a week from today on Saturday the 17th of August. Rollover is very TBD but think morning-time in North America. 

Quick Links

Edited by Elandera

YES

I am In,

In, definitely one of Ankh-Morpork's finest. In, who watches and watches. In, the finest at one thing at least.

Watching.

Constable of the Night Watch* and watcher supreme. You can rely on her to do anything, unless it is something that isn't watching.

*Just the Watch perhaps would be more fitting?

13 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

This game is in Schroedinger's timeline. Do or say whatever you want for roleplay. 

I must be Lobsang of the History Monks. (Not the important one; one of the other ones.) Clearly, the timeline is in absolute shambles after some sort of disruptive event, and it will be Lobsang's job to figure out why.

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Order said:

I mean, you could get all the info for this game just by reading 3 and a ½

which 3 and a half? im trying to avoid coffee's suggestion of 40. I do not have time for 40

5 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

which 3 and a half? im trying to avoid coffee's suggestion of 40. I do not have time for 40

Going Postal, Mort, and Guards! Guards! In that order.

The half is from Thud!, Making Money, and Unseen Academicals, which I think I had read when making the ruleset, but don't really make an appearance in the rules.

I think going postal right? It's the one that most contains modern Ankh-Morpork. The bustle and so on. It is a good single book to get you into the idea of how stuff works. Although I would argue that the first watch books (guards guards, men at arms, feet of clay) are the best intro to the city. But it's more reading

Edited by Coffeecat

@Aeternum, @Coffeecat, @xinoehp512, @Ashbringer, @Araris Valerian, and @RoyalBeeMage

Some important announcements. Rollover will be at 12:00 PM Central Time (GMT-5 in case you live in that fictional place we call "Not Murica")

@CadCom will be your IM, and @Aeoryi will be my Co-GM. In the unlikely scenario where you try to kill me (looking at Drake who isn’t playing, but shouldn't be trusted regardless), they will be my meat shields.

While I would like more players, I am planning on just running this with this player count. But, like, ask your friends? Ankh-Morpork is supposed to be crowded. 

2 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

when is this supposed to start?

In a little over two hours.

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I'm interested, but this will be my first sanderson elimination, so I have no idea what I'm doing.

That's fine! You can find some rules, etiquette, and terminology threads in this forum (the pinned threads). The specific rules for this game are in the first post. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I or another player will answer as soon as we can.

Posted (edited)

Cycle One: The Calm Before the Storm

Death reclined his chair. He, well, he didn't sigh, but close enough. The flames within his eyesockets dimmed.

Just a brief nap... he was going to need to be alert for this next rush.

~

Some Things to Note:

• PMs are closed! You must use an action to open them.
  • Ties will kill all players involved.
  • This cycle will end in two days at 12:00 PM Central Time on Monday the 19th of August 
  • Have fun!

Players:

Spoiler
  1. @Aeternum the silent and stoic type, apparently 
  2. @Coffeecat as In the watchiest of Watchmen
  3. @xinoehp512 as Lobsang of the History Monks. No, not that one, no not that one either.
  4. @Ashbringer as Schroedinger's AraRaash, who looks a little out of place
  5. @Araris Valerian as Reg Shoe for whom mostly dead really is slightly alive
  6. @RoyalBeeMage You can call them... nobody
  7. @Experience, almost late but worth the wait!
  8. @Lego Mistborn who is so new his character doesn't exist yet

Edited by The Unknown Order