Perspective

Perspective  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to read from 1st person or 3rd person more?

• 1st
    • 3rd
  2. 2. Do you like to write from 1st person or 3rd person more?

• 1st
    • 3rd
  3. 3. Do you like to read from past or present tense more?

• Past
    • Present

I feel like I would genuinely enjoy books written in 1st person if they . . . weren't written in first person. It's not a turn-off for me, I just have a really hard time enjoying it as much. I feel as though not only is the idea of being in one persons head not explored in an interesting way, but it can lead to stagnant and boring prose. (at least, that's my experience).

Like I said in an SU when I finished The Hunger Games for the first time a little while ago, it was the first book I have ever read in present-tense. I did get used to it, but I found it odd and jarring. It reminded me of brain-rot online roleplay because those are also often in present-tense. Once again not a turn-off, but also not my favorite.

45 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Like I said in an SU when I finished The Hunger Games for the first time a little while ago, it was the first book I have ever read in present-tense. I did get used to it, but I found it odd and jarring. It reminded me of brain-rot online roleplay because those are also often in present-tense. Once again not a turn-off, but also not my favorite.

Isn't most of the shard's rping present tense?

9 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

Isn't most of the shard's rping present tense?

Not the one's I've done . . . . most Shard RP's I've been in have been past tense. Granted, we're never very serious here, and it's more then likely that it's inconsistent. But, I've been in and read RP's from other places that were in present tense, and written form roleplay is more stereotypically in present tense (at least to my knowledge).

This is making me think. I generally prefer 3rd, but maybe that's just what I most often read. I would never put a book down, based on perspective--for example, I just finished A Walk to Remember, and while the first person was jarring, I really liked the personal touch it had by the end. And I guess my favorite book, Name of the Wind is also first person...

I guess I have less of an opinion either way than I thought.

Do you like to read from 1st person or 3rd person more?

Giving the Heisman to 2nd person stories . . . 

Spoiler

Granted they are rare, and even more rarely done well (e. g. Bright Lights, Big City)

Anyway, I did not answer due to the lack of options. I think the choice of First/Third person really depends on the story. Examples:

• Hunger Games could have probably benefitted from a Third Person Limited (as shown by teh detail added to the Movies that really helps flesh out the world building)

- However - 

• Dresden Files done in any other voice would be a catastrophe, a great example of a story that needs the first person perspective to work correctly

So, my answer is that it depends on the what the story needs, and I enjoy all three (First, Third Omniscient, Third Limited) for different reasons when they correctly mesh with the story and characters.

Edited by Treamayne
Examples/SPAG

21 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Giving the Heisman to 2nd person stories . . . 

Reveal hidden contents

Granted they are rare, and even more rarely done well (e. g. Bright Lights, Big City)

Anyway, I did not answer due to the lack of options. I think the choice of First/Third person really depends on the story. Examples:

• Hunger Games could have probably benefitted from a Third Person Limited (as shown by teh detail added to the Movies that really helps flesh out the world building)

- However - 

• Dresden Files done in any other voice would be a catastrophe, a great example of a story that needs the first person perspective to work correctly

So, my answer is that it depends on the what the story needs, and I enjoy all three (First, Third Omniscient, Third Limited) for different reasons when they correctly mesh with the story and characters.

What do you think about tense? (No, I know I didn’t put future tense)

I think different stories need to be told in different mediums, and this includes tense.

That being said, I think it was Jeanne Cavelos who said that 3rd person is the most intimate way to write a story, the way that lets you connect to the characters in the deepest ways, and I agree. And since characters are almost always what I love most about a book, 3rd person is usually my favorite.

6 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

What do you think about tense?

Tense, like voice, should serve the story. Most 2d person is better in present tense for the immediacy. I think Hunger Games used present tense for the same reason - Ms. Collins wanted the First Person Present to make the horror feel more immidiate and personal to the reader. I think third person generally plays better with past tense, but some instances would probably have been better served in present tense (more 3PL than 3PO) - and I am not averse to having passages in present tense in a primarily past tense work. I think any work relying on multiple flashbacks (or the dreaded mini-flash - see below) would usually be better served with present tense narration and using past-tense for the flashbacks.

But really - they are all tools, and selecting the correct tool for the story is the biggest concern. Shoe-horning a voice or tense due to preference or "because that's the current standard" will usually have a net negative effect overall. 

Spoiler

I don't know if there is an official term for the device, but by "mini-flash," I mean a short intro, immediately followed by jumping back a short time (usually just to get the "punch" of the opening line(s)) - and I find that distracting and annoying. Example from Dungeon Crawler Carl (since that's the most recent example I can recall reading) Book 1 Ch 12 - slight spoiler:

Spoiler

“Explain these bosses to me,” I asked Mordecai. I fingered the chain wrapped around my right fist.

We’d found a tutorial guild about a quarter mile from where we’d killed the Hoarder. Her body had only dropped a single piece of loot, a scrap of paper called a Neighborhood Map. It didn’t disappear when I looted it, and Donut was able to grab one for herself.

So, 1 sentence already talking to Mordecai, followed by 6 paragraphs explaining the aftermath of the battle and going to see Mordecai, then returning to the conversation in media res. . . It's not quite a flashback, but it's non-linear and, to me, usually makes the story disjointed. If the details are that important, lead with them. If they are not important, skip entirely to get the punch.

</soabbox>