Lifeless Mexican Jumping Beans

Koloss17

So basically the title. Awakened jumping beans are 100% possible, but would they be useful? Like, I know that awakened objects get significantly stronger when awakened. Does that transfer over to lifeless? Could you have concussive or at least distractingly harmful force given to the bean?

Doubtlessly you could have a command phrase to have the jumping bean lead someone to a set location, but what more could be done?

Im tagging @alder24 to probably say no to the attack jumping beans, and @Trusk'our to help me come up with some creative jumping bean ideas.

59 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Im tagging @alder24 to probably say no to the attack jumping beans, and @Trusk'our to help me come up with some creative jumping bean ideas.

I'm honored :D

Hmm, Awakening the larva of Mexican jumping beans is definitely out there.

They can certainly be surprising, perhaps used as an alarm system in a pinch.

Actually, does it have to be a Lifeless, or could an artificial jumping bean be used?

If it's just the concept that matters and not the beans themselves, perhaps creating an object that is capable of locomotion while appearing normal could be done, like a pen with a hallowed out chamber that contains an Awakened "bean" to always move back to its owner, or put itself away. Awakened objects that have little flexibility (like swords) have difficulty moving around, but this might be a viable hack to circumvent that.

Perhaps an extrapolation of this idea could be a poisoned dart (or other projectile) that realigns itself to auto-correct its aim against enemies via jumping bean mechanics. Basically smart bullets, but using another method. 

Plus, artificial Awakened beings have a special sense that doesn't use eyes, so such a thing would probably be able to "see" through its enclosure. 

On how specifically to achieve an improved artificial Mexican jumping bean, perhaps a miniature humanoid shaped spring would be most efficient. 

. . . I think I got away from the main idea of the thread, however. Honestly, I'll have to give it a little more thought. 

14 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So basically the title. Awakened jumping beans are 100% possible, but would they be useful? Like, I know that awakened objects get significantly stronger when awakened. Does that transfer over to lifeless? Could you have concussive or at least distractingly harmful force given to the bean?

Doubtlessly you could have a command phrase to have the jumping bean lead someone to a set location, but what more could be done?

Awakened objects get "stronger" within the limits of the material used, but Lifeless don't. They are as strong as the body is - unless you make a hybrid like Kalad's Phantoms where Breaths are acting like a sinew moving the stone body.

Never heard of them. Looking at it now, aren't those beans just seeds with larva in it? So making that larva into a Lifeless would be possible, but not both the larva and the seed. It would be hard because they are inside the bean (how would you even get to that larva to make it into a Lifeless) and need to eat it from the inside out - Lifeless don't metabolize (so you can't plant an already Lifeless larva into a normal bean).

Moreover a Lifeless like this won't be even able to see anything that's outside of the seed because the walls of the seed prevent that. So that's not a very useful scout. How about Awakening the moth that grows up from that larva - it can fly!

If you really want to have a jumping Lifeless bug, bow about a flea or a grasshopper? Their view is not obstructed by any seed, they jump impressively far and they can bite you.

14 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Colors! You've got me :P 

13 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

If it's just the concept that matters and not the beans themselves, perhaps creating an object that is capable of locomotion while appearing normal could be done, like a pen with a hallowed out chamber that contains an Awakened "bean" to always move back to its owner, or put itself away. Awakened objects that have little flexibility (like swords) have difficulty moving around, but this might be a viable hack to circumvent that.

How about spring? Why complicate something that's already simple?

Plus, artificial Awakened beings have a special sense that doesn't use eyes, so such a thing would probably be able to "see" through its enclosure. 

Yes and no. It's like a steelsight and it has a hard time seeing through walls as they appear as a solid wall of blue lines - at best it would see strong metal sources behind, but I doubt it.

On how specifically to achieve an improved artificial Mexican jumping bean, perhaps a miniature humanoid shaped spring would be most efficient. 

Yes, there you go :P 

23 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Awakened objects get "stronger" within the limits of the material used, but Lifeless don't. They are as strong as the body is - unless you make a hybrid like Kalad's Phantoms where Breaths are acting like a sinew moving the stone body.

Never heard of them. Looking at it now, aren't those beans just seeds with larva in it? So making that larva into a Lifeless would be possible, but not both the larva and the seed. It would be hard because they are inside the bean (how would you even get to that larva to make it into a Lifeless) and need to eat it from the inside out - Lifeless don't metabolize (so you can't plant an already Lifeless larva into a normal bean).

Moreover a Lifeless like this won't be even able to see anything that's outside of the seed because the walls of the seed prevent that. So that's not a very useful scout. How about Awakening the moth that grows up from that larva - it can fly!

If you really want to have a jumping Lifeless bug, bow about a flea or a grasshopper? Their view is not obstructed by any seed, they jump impressively far and they can bite you.

Colors! You've got me :P 

How about spring? Why complicate something that's already simple?

Yes and no. It's like a steelsight and it has a hard time seeing through walls as they appear as a solid wall of blue lines - at best it would see strong metal sources behind, but I doubt it.

Yes, there you go :P 

Okay to bridge two threads: homing throwing knives would be less than easy. However, what if you had a moveable weight or possibly some sort of spring like thing that could allow an awakened object to manipulate the center of mass of a throwing knife? Basically allowing you to throw a knife and choose whether you want it to land blade first for oucheys purposes or hilt first for concussive purposes?

9 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Okay to bridge two threads: homing throwing knives would be less than easy. However, what if you had a moveable weight or possibly some sort of spring like thing that could allow an awakened object to manipulate the center of mass of a throwing knife? Basically allowing you to throw a knife and choose whether you want it to land blade first for oucheys purposes or hilt first for concussive purposes?

No idea. I have no experience with throwing knives. Should be possible and easier than wings, but the knife might just spiral uncontrollably out of its trajectory as its center of mass is shifting. You kind of have to have a physics degree to really understand what will happen in order to create accurate visualization - not your average Awakener.