FANTASY-NO MAGIC

Wit crept along the side a stream. His feet were muddy, his back ached from slouching, and his feet hurt from stepping on sharp rocks. However his mind was preoccupied to worry about such menial pain as this. Over a small mound of dirt, and a fallen tree, four other men stood. 
“Where did he go?” Asked a gravely voice. 
“How am I supposed to know? You were the one who said you saw him in the first place!” A high squeaky voice replied. 
“Stop the bickering. We don’t need to point fingers. After app, if it wasn’t for Victor, he wouldn’t have that camouflage cloak.”

A scuffling sound rang through the forest, but it quickly stopped with the ringing of metal coming from a scabbard. 

“Hit me again, I dare you.” The deep voice grumbled. 
Silence. 
“Let’s go, he has probably gone, anyway. If…” the the gravely voice faded off.

When the noise was finally gone, Wit waited another moment. Then he stood, his back aching from crouching for so long. 

…

Wit sat in a tavern. His sword and bow were hidden under a deep cloak, as was his quiver. He held himself to a bowl of stew he was told, but didn’t quite believe had beef in it. He leaned back, and enjoyed the singing of a traveling minstrel who looked vaguely familiar to him. This was not so bad. Sure, traveling required hard times, but other times, it was worth it. Well worth it.

Edited by ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ

Niamh, the traveling minstrel, sang raucously for the patrons of the tavern in which she was currently performing. While a small flute and fiddle leaned on the wall behind her, she preferred to play a lute to the quick and lively beat of the current song.

She entertained the clientele with a classic drinking game song, in which two burly, red-faced men were competing at a low table. As she finished the one and only verse (at the end of which both men were supposed to drink) for the seemingly hundredth time, each man took another gulp of their drinks. The people sang, clapped, and pounded their hands on their tables to the beat of the song as the men became more and more drunk. As more time went on, she played faster and faster.

She was halfway through the verse again when one of the men swayed to one side. The audience held their breath.

Eyes snapping open, he righted himself-

-then promptly fell backwards off his stool.

Amidst the cheering and groaning of the men who had bet on the match, Niamh grinned and finished the verse with a flourish. The people clapped as she took a bow and began exchanging money between themselves. A few small coins were dropped into a tin by her feet with a clink, and she thanked her tippers.

As the crowd dispersed, she sat back on a tall stool and played a calm, ambient melody with soft lyrics. As she played, she thought about her life. Sure, things could be better, but she loved what she did. It was rough being a traveling minstrel, but she was doing what she loved, and for the moment she was satisfied with her life.

Niamh sighed and closed her eyes while she played.

Suddenly, a man in a dark cloak walked into the tavern and sat at the bar. He was barefoot, and his feet and ankles were covered in mud. Niamh almost felt like she recognized him.

He didn't seem to want trouble, however, so she ignored him and kept playing the lute.

He certainly wasn't the oddest person she had ever seen.

Edited by Through The Living Glass

8 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Niamh, the traveling minstrel, sang raucously for the patrons of the tavern in which she was currently performing. While a small flute and fiddle leaned on the wall behind her, she preferred to play a lute to the quick and lively beat of the current song.

She entertained the clientele with a classic drinking game song, in which two burly, red-faced men were competing at a low table. As she finished the one and only verse (at the end of which both men were supposed to drink) for the seemingly hundredth time, each man took another gulp of their drinks. The people sang, clapped, and pounded their hands on their tables to the beat of the song as the men became more and more drunk. As more time went on, she played faster and faster.

She was halfway through the verse again when one of the men swayed to one side. The audience held their breath.

Eyes snapping open, he righted himself-

-then promptly fell backwards off his stool.

Amidst the cheering and groaning of the men who had bet on the match, Niamh grinned and finished the verse with a flourish. The people clapped as she took a bow and began exchanging money between themselves. A few small coins were dropped into a tin by her feet with a clink, and she thanked her tippers.

As the crowd dispersed, she sat back on a tall stool and played a calm, ambient melody with soft lyrics. As she played, she thought about her life. Sure, things could be better, but she loved what she did. It was rough being a traveling minstrel, but she was doing what she loved, and for the moment she was satisfied with her life.

Niamh sighed and closed her eyes while she played.

Suddenly, a man in a dark cloak walked into the tavern and sat at the bar. He was barefoot, and his feet and ankles were covered in mud. Niamh almost felt like she recognized him.

He didn't seem to want trouble, however, so she ignored him and kept playing the lute.

He certainly wasn't the oddest person she had ever seen.

Wit stared at the minstrel as she graciously accepted money from a well entertained crowd. Wit knew her from somewhere. He was sure of it. That face seemed increasingly familiar as he stared at it. But a small gust of cold air coming from the door, marking the entrance of a tall figure wearing a black cloak distracted his thoughts. The man knelt on the floor for a moment, putting his face, still hidden by the cowl of his clothes, in the ground. Then he got back up and walked straight to Wit. Wit was a little conscious of his feet, but there had to be someway to let his client know who he was without causing a scene. 
When the man came to this table, which was empty besides Wit, he sat down across from Wit and pulled down the cloak. His face was scarred and bruised from a recent fight. And his voice was raspy as he whispered. “You have the jewel?” 
Wit clenched his jaw. It were these people who really ruined the life of adventure. Wit had to make money somehow, but often his payers were dirty men who led disguising ideals.  
“I do.” Under the table, Wit held a box. He pulled it out and set it in front of the man. “You have the money?”

If someone wants, they can join as this person, or make another.

5 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Wit stared at the minstrel as she graciously accepted money from a well entertained crowd. Wit knew her from somewhere. He was sure of it. That face seemed increasingly familiar as he stared at it. But a small gust of cold air coming from the door, marking the entrance of a tall figure wearing a black cloak distracted his thoughts. The man knelt on the floor for a moment, putting his face, still hidden by the cowl of his clothes, in the ground. Then he got back up and walked straight to Wit. Wit was a little conscious of his feet, but there had to be someway to let his client know who he was without causing a scene. 
When the man came to this table, which was empty besides Wit, he sat down across from Wit and pulled down the cloak. His face was scarred and bruised from a recent fight. And his voice was raspy as he whispered. “You have the jewel?” 
Wit clenched his jaw. It were these people who really ruined the life of adventure. Wit had to make money somehow, but often his payers were dirty men who led disguising ideals.  
“I do.” Under the table, Wit held a box. He pulled it out and set it in front of the man. “You have the money?”

Maybe Elan will want to?

@Ancient Elantrian

Jolane, a waitress, approached the newcomer. “Is there anything I can get started for you, sir?”

23 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Niamh watched the two strange men from her small section of raised wooden floor. While she still doubted the first man wanted trouble, they were certainly acting suspicious.

Hmm...

She kept a covert eye on them as she played.

50 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

I'll be him!! ! ! Do you mind if I slot my own character in a little?  Also, do you have a plan for where this is going?

"Of course I have the money. What would the point of coming here be if I didn't?"

July kept his raspy voice quiet in active rebellion of the rowdy tavern. He couldn't tell if the pounding in his head was from the noise, or the large bruises on his face.

He took the box from Wit with one hand, pulling a sizable pouch of gold out of his cloak with the other.

It sunk to the table with a clunk where the box had been.

44 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

@Ancient Elantrian

Jolane, a waitress, approached the newcomer. “Is there anything I can get started for you, sir?”

July jolted, having not heard her approach. He forced his heart to calm down. It was only a waitress.

He glanced at the bar, where a man was refilling drinks. Would it make him less suspicious if he ordered a drink? But then he'd have to drink it, and alcohol never agreed with his stomach.

"Uh . . ."

After a silent, unseen battle of panic, he responded.

"Do you have . . . water?"

Edited by J. Magi
guys what even is word order

7 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Of course I have the money. What would the point of coming here be if I didn't?"

July kept his raspy voice quiet in active rebellion of the rowdy tavern. He couldn't tell if the pounding in his head was from the noise, or the large bruises on his face.

He took the box from Wit with one hand, pulling a sizable pouch of gold out of his cloak with the other.

July jolted, having not heard her approach. He forced his heart to calm down. It was only a waitress.

He glanced at the bar, where a man was refilling drinks. Would it make him less suspicious if he ordered a drink? But then he'd have to drink it, and alcohol never agreed with his stomach.

"Uh . . ."

After a silent battle, unseen, battle of panic, he responded.

“Yes, we do. Will that be all for you?” She looked young… probably too young to be working in a tavern, what with its regulars… around 18. 

4 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

“Yes, we do. Will that be all for you?” She looked young… probably too young to be working in a tavern, what with its regulars… around 18. 

"Uh . . ."

July hated to admit it, but her age disturbed him. It's not like he was much older, but wasn't this the last place a girl her age should be? He knew he'd grown up sheltered, but it still bothered him. Another reason not to like taverns.

"What else do you have?" he blurted it out, not sure what to else to say.

Just now, J. Magi said:

"Uh . . ."

July hated to admit it, but her age disturbed him. It's not like he was much older, but wasn't this the last place a girl her age should be? He knew he'd grown up sheltered, but it still bothered him. Another reason not to like taverns.

"What else do you have?" he blurted it out, not sure what to else to say.

“For beverages, there’s beer, rum, wine, and whiskey. For food, mostly different kinds of meats.”

1 minute ago, Spark of Hope said:

“For beverages, there’s beer, rum, wine, and whiskey. For food, mostly different kinds of meats.”

"O-oh."

"Um I will have some . . . meat."

Saints above why couldn't he talk like a normal person.

Just now, J. Magi said:

"O-oh."

"Um I will have some . . . meat."

Saints above why couldn't he talk like a normal person.

“Suckling pig, stuffed turkey, leg of lamb…” she started listing off more specifics. 

You can do one of these or a different thing

“Suckling pig, stuffed turkey, leg of lamb…” she started listing off more specifics. 

"I'll just take the first one."

56 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

@Ancient Elantrian

Wit jumped visably, and loudly having also been startled by the waiter. “Yes ma’am!” He spoke a little too loudly. “Um, I will have what ever the chef likes to make best I think.”

36 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Niamh watched the two strange men from her small section of raised wooden floor. While she still doubted the first man wanted trouble, they were certainly acting suspicious.

Hmm...

She kept a covert eye on them as she played.

Wit eyes flicked back to the performer, he recognized the song as much as her, which he realized that he knew it well. He thought she may make a good excuse to get away from the man before him. 

23 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Uh . . ."

After a silent, unseen battle of panic, he responded.

Wit silently took the money and stowed it away in his clothes. “I take it our business is done?” Wit spoke to the man, standing up. “I already have use of this money, thank you.” Wit turned to give a few coins to the performer. 

Nope! No plans. He is all yours.

2 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Wit jumped visably, and loudly having also been startled by the waiter. “Yes ma’am!” He spoke a little too loudly. “Um, I will have what ever the chef likes to make best I think.”

Wit eyes flicked back to the performer, he recognized the song as much as her, which he realized that he knew it well. He thought she may make a good excuse to get away from the man before him. 

Wit silently took the money and stowed it away in his clothes. “I take it our business is done?” Wit spoke to the man, standing up. “I already have use of this money, thank you.” Wit turned to give a few coins to the performer. 

July opened the box, confirming the jewel was inside. He felt a a weight lift off of his shoulders. One less headache.

"I guess it is done," July concluded, stowing the box in his bag.

Thanks!

Edited by J. Magi

1 minute ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

“The suckling pig,” Jolane said quietly. Then she left to get both of their orders. 

14 minutes ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Niamh noticed the barefoot man walking over, but chose not to acknowledge him.

31 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

July opened the box, confirming the jewel was inside. He felt a a weight lift off of his shoulders. One less headache.

31 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

“The suckling pig,” Jolane said quietly. Then she left to get both of their orders. 

Wit nodded, and left the table remarking a little bit mournfully he knew he would have to return to it to receive the, another little bit mournful thought, suckling pig. 

18 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Niamh noticed the barefoot man walking over, but chose not to acknowledge him.

He came over to the performer, wondering her name. She looked very nice, he thought. He came over and set a silver coin at the spot where some others were put stood for a moment watching before turning back.

1 minute ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Wit nodded, and left the table remarking a little bit mournfully he knew he would have to return to it to receive the, another little bit mournful thought, suckling pig. 

He came over to the performer, wondering her name. She looked very nice, he thought. He came over and set a silver coin at the spot where some others were put stood for a moment watching before turning back.

35 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

It was not long at all before Jolane returned with the pigs and the water. She was grateful for the tavern’s dim lighting- the mark on her face wouldn’t be visible. 

1 hour ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

The man set a silver coin on the stage. When he didn't walk away, she looked up.

They locked eyes for a brief moment.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but thought better of it. He turned and walked back to his table.

Yes, Niamh thought, he recognizes me, too.

She looked at the silver coin on the stage. At least he tips well.

Edited by Through The Living Glass
Added a line

As night lay like a blanket over the country, its embrace giving light to the stars that lit the sky, pinpoints of light that resembled closely to the ones he was used too. He smiles, kicking his horses sides gently, which sends it into a steady canter, going through the forest. The forest which gave refuge to those who were up to more nefarious schemes, and let them hide their tracks. Arranis was fortunately not one of those poor fools, the ones that get caught, for doing things they thought they could get away with. Even if it was for a good purposes. He looks around, keeping alert, making sure not to look in one place for too long.

The rustles of night creatures break the silence of the night, occasionally interspersed between these was the hotts of the night owl. Letting him no that there was no predators nearby, or anyone at that. His horses ears, like small satellite dishes, swing around, cupping, trying to catch the slight sounds of anyone nearby. "God boy" Arranis whispers to it, patting its leg. It shakes its mane, pleased at the touch. He drops the reigns, guiding the horse with his knees. He pulls the longbow form off his shoulder, and pulls a goose feather arrow out of his quiver, laying it on the string. 

As the tree begin to thin, and the small hamlet, with the tavern comes into view, Arranis starts to relax a bit. I think I am too used to having horses being expensive he thinks to himself before laughing aloud. The lights from inside the tavern, glow an inviting colour, and he makes his way over to the building, which was at the end of the 'main street' of the hamlet, a dusty little road, lined from thousands of feet trampling over it. His horses hooves make a muted sound as he moves through the hamlet, before dismounting, and leading it to the back of the inn, where a small stable sat, leaning to one side. "At least it is not leaking hey" he says to his horse, who he swears rolls his eyes. 

Arranis goes round to the front of the building, and walks in the door

2 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

It was not long at all before Jolane returned with the pigs and the water. She was grateful for the tavern’s dim lighting- the mark on her face wouldn’t be visible. 

"Thanks," July said as she sat the plates and drinks down. 

Not sure what else to do, he attempted to strike up a conversation. Maybe he could learn why she was there.

"Hey, uh, what's your name?"

16 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Thanks," July said as she sat the plates and drinks down. 

Not sure what else to do, he attempted to strike up a conversation. Maybe he could learn why she was there.

"Hey, uh, what's your name?"

“Jolane-“ 

Someone began to say something loudly in another language. Without another word, she hurried to another table. 

“Jolane-“ 

Someone began to say something loudly in another language. Without another word, she hurried to another table. 

"I'm--"

2 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

The man set a silver coin on the stage. When he didn't walk away, she looked up.

They locked eyes for a brief moment.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but thought better of it. He turned and walked back to his table.

Yes, Niamh thought, he recognizes me, too.

She looked at the silver coin on the stage. At least he tips well.

1 hour ago, Scars of Hathsin said:

As night lay like a blanket over the country, its embrace giving light to the stars that lit the sky, pinpoints of light that resembled closely to the ones he was used too. He smiles, kicking his horses sides gently, which sends it into a steady canter, going through the forest. The forest which gave refuge to those who were up to more nefarious schemes, and let them hide their tracks. Arranis was fortunately not one of those poor fools, the ones that get caught, for doing things they thought they could get away with. Even if it was for a good purposes. He looks around, keeping alert, making sure not to look in one place for too long.

The rustles of night creatures break the silence of the night, occasionally interspersed between these was the hotts of the night owl. Letting him no that there was no predators nearby, or anyone at that. His horses ears, like small satellite dishes, swing around, cupping, trying to catch the slight sounds of anyone nearby. "God boy" Arranis whispers to it, patting its leg. It shakes its mane, pleased at the touch. He drops the reigns, guiding the horse with his knees. He pulls the longbow form off his shoulder, and pulls a goose feather arrow out of his quiver, laying it on the string. 

As the tree begin to thin, and the small hamlet, with the tavern comes into view, Arranis starts to relax a bit. I think I am too used to having horses being expensive he thinks to himself before laughing aloud. The lights from inside the tavern, glow an inviting colour, and he makes his way over to the building, which was at the end of the 'main street' of the hamlet, a dusty little road, lined from thousands of feet trampling over it. His horses hooves make a muted sound as he moves through the hamlet, before dismounting, and leading it to the back of the inn, where a small stable sat, leaning to one side. "At least it is not leaking hey" he says to his horse, who he swears rolls his eyes. 

Arranis goes round to the front of the building, and walks in the door

Woe noted the traveler, but pretended not to notice. Then he realized something. He knew him too.

Hmmm, fancy British spelling of color. 

19 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"I'm--"

“Do you have any other jobs you need done?” Wit asked, taking a mother bit of the pig.