FANTASY-NO MAGIC

Rye finally woke up and strolled down the stairs and into the common room, then realized he'd forgotten to put his hood on. He quickly did so before anyone had time to make out his features, and smiled awkwardly. "Hello, everyone. I assume that witch hunter left?"

Sutter began walking towards the stables, to find his horse and ride back to Issor. Nelan and the gang would certainly be angry with him, but really, who could blame him for wanting to relax a little before the execution? As he finally found his gangly brown mare, named Jest, a hand grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around.

"NELAN?" Sutter yelped, quickly jumping back. His cousin stood, surrounded by the rest of the witch hunters, enraged expressions on their faces.

"That demon escaped," muttered Nelan in frustration. "Tell me. Did he come back?"

"I... I don't know! I thought I felt the presence of a witch in the room, but I was a little drunk, and..." Sutter was unable to finish his thought as Nelan dragged him out of the stables. Another hunter threw his club at him, which he managed to catch.

"We're going back into the inn," Nelan declared, "And this time, I don't care if we burn it down."

1 hour ago, BlueWildRye said:

Rye finally woke up and strolled down the stairs and into the common room, then realized he'd forgotten to put his hood on. He quickly did so before anyone had time to make out his features, and smiled awkwardly. "Hello, everyone. I assume that witch hunter left?"

Sutter began walking towards the stables, to find his horse and ride back to Issor. Nelan and the gang would certainly be angry with him, but really, who could blame him for wanting to relax a little before the execution? As he finally found his gangly brown mare, named Jest, a hand grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around.

"NELAN?" Sutter yelped, quickly jumping back. His cousin stood, surrounded by the rest of the witch hunters, enraged expressions on their faces.

"That demon escaped," muttered Nelan in frustration. "Tell me. Did he come back?"

"I... I don't know! I thought I felt the presence of a witch in the room, but I was a little drunk, and..." Sutter was unable to finish his thought as Nelan dragged him out of the stables. Another hunter threw his club at him, which he managed to catch.

"We're going back into the inn," Nelan declared, "And this time, I don't care if we burn it down."

YES

BURN IT ALL

BUUUUUURN HAHAHA

*clears throat*

...anyway.

A candle flickered on her shelf. She was scared of the dark, so she always lit candles at night to scare away the darkness. They always sputtered out after she had fallen asleep.

Jolane covered herself in her blanket. It was thin, but warm. Cozy. She'd had it for as long as she could remember. Even after eighteen years, it hadn't lost the scent of where it had been before. Orange, violet, rose, and sandalwood... It was comforting. And it was the only hint she had about what might have been her home.

Some nights (tonight being one of them), she pulled the blanket over her head and formed a bubble around her and the stuffed bird on the mat. It completely enveloped her in the smell, and it helped her sleep the nights when she struggled to. 

She sighed. Sure, she wished she could go to her home sometimes. But home... could it even really be called that? She had no clue who lived there, anything about them. Well, anything apart from the fact that they owed Robert a debt.

Besides, some things were guaranteed to her here. Food, shelter, work... The internal debate almost ripped her apart at times. She couldn't run - she'd just be brought back to Robert with less freedoms. She had no clue where to go even if she made it out of the village. Yes, she longed for more in life. But there were things she had here that she was scared to give up.

~~~

Robert came over to July. "You can call it a night, if you want."

@J. Magi

12 hours ago, BlueWildRye said:

two eyes peered, then flashed out.

5 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"Oh, alright. I'll probably finish talking with these folks before turning in," July explained, gesturing at August and Ma'tani.

@The Bookwyrm

Robert nodded, then went back behind the bar and handling drink orders there. 

Just now, Spark of Hope said:

Ma'tani glared at him as he left, while his back was turned.

6 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

A candle flickered on her shelf. She was scared of the dark, so she always lit candles at night to scare away the darkness. They always sputtered out after she had fallen asleep.

Jolane covered herself in her blanket. It was thin, but warm. Cozy. She'd had it for as long as she could remember. Even after eighteen years, it hadn't lost the scent of where it had been before. Orange, violet, rose, and sandalwood... It was comforting. And it was the only hint she had about what might have been her home.

Some nights (tonight being one of them), she pulled the blanket over her head and formed a bubble around her and the stuffed bird on the mat. It completely enveloped her in the smell, and it helped her sleep the nights when she struggled to. 

She sighed. Sure, she wished she could go to her home sometimes. But home... could it even really be called that? She had no clue who lived there, anything about them. Well, anything apart from the fact that they owed Robert a debt.

Besides, some things were guaranteed to her here. Food, shelter, work... The internal debate almost ripped her apart at times. She couldn't run - she'd just be brought back to Robert with less freedoms. She had no clue where to go even if she made it out of the village. Yes, she longed for more in life. But there were things she had here that she was scared to give up.

HEY

NO

NO MAKING THE CHARACTERS DOUBT THEIR CONVICTION

4 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

"Thanks!" July called after him.

2 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Ma'tani glared at him as he left, while his back was turned.

August followed her gaze, putting two and two together. 

"So . . . You've yet to introduce yourself," He managed to say with awkward grace.

1 minute ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"Ma'tani," she said simply.

"I see." He said flatly.

"Why are you involved in this, if I may ask? Did July push you into it."

"I didn't." July said, rolling his eyes.

1 minute ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

Arke wanders over again. he just points at August.

"Oh, it's you," July remarks as he comes up.

"Can I . . . help you?" August asked, curious.

"He can't talk," July explained.

2 hours ago, J. Magi said:

"I see." He said flatly.

"Why are you involved in this, if I may ask? Did July push you into it."

"I didn't." July said, rolling his eyes.

"It's frankly none of your business." I hate how cliche that sounds...

"Let's simply say I saw someone in need and felt obligated to help by my personal morals."

20 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"It's frankly none of your business." I hate how cliche that sounds...

"Let's simply say I saw someone in need and felt obligated to help by my personal morals."

"Very well," August shot her grin, "Then I will take the invitation and remain mysterious myself."

". . . It's getting late," July interjected. He wouldn't admit it, but learning so much and working all day lately had left him exhausted. "We should all turn in."

On 9/9/2024 at 4:56 PM, Scars of Hathsin said:

Arranis grins watching the other thugs slink back into the trees, looks of anger, shock and disbelief colouring their faces. "A master practices until they get it right..." he says waiting for the response. Before walking towards the body, "You think he was the boss" he says as he rifles through the pockets finding nothing of use, except for a small piece of plant. 

@ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ

"Men! What is you purpose here? We do not come to end your practice but d threaten them. Tell me or perhaps more will come unto those like him." Wit said, gesturing to the body. 

19 hours ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

"Men! What is you purpose here? We do not come to end your practice but d threaten them. Tell me or perhaps more will come unto those like him." Wit said, gesturing to the body. 

Arranis looks up, waiting for a response. In reply, the thugs run, and the sound of hoofbeats can be heard through the clearing, rapidly receding into the distance. "You have a horse?" Arranis says looking at Wit

13 hours ago, Scars of Hathsin said:

Arranis looks up, waiting for a response. In reply, the thugs run, and the sound of hoofbeats can be heard through the clearing, rapidly receding into the distance. "You have a horse?" Arranis says looking at Wit

“At the tavern. I assume you have your old one, the good old barrel chested one. Mine died, shot by an arrow.”

10 hours ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

“At the tavern. I assume you have your old one, the good old barrel chested one. Mine died, shot by an arrow.”

"How did that happen" Arranis says, a bit of shock evident in his voice. Is this guy an actual Ranger? A dead horse and no bow on him. Arranis shakes his head, and lets out a piercing whistle. Calling his own horse. "Want to go to the tavern, and get our stuff?"

@ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ

Edited by Scars of Hathsin

July stood up. Robert was right, it really was getting late. And he had to work tommorrow.

"Well, if everything's settled, I'm going to go turn in . . . it's been a long day." July said. 

August nodded, "Sleep well." He'd have to rent a room for himself, but he didn't feel like sleeping yet. He still had too much pent up energy from rushing here.

What to do with himself now? July always had a knack for finding problems they didn't have time to solve. Maybe he could deal with this quickly so they could move on. He traced his gloved finger along a groove in the wooden table. If things went too slowly he could always just take July and run.

@The Bookwyrm