I know this is probably not the most interesting observation in this chapter, but I couldn't help but notice it.

Spoiler

Shallan, floating along on a platform. Shallan had been stretching these muscles more and more lately. So maybe…

With more Stormlight from Drehy in hand, she managed to sink the room to the bottom of the bead ocean. Then she sent it traveling along like a little boat under the water.

Shadesmar has a bottom of the bead floor! I had no idea! I thought it was meant to be endless and stuff, like was implied by MeLaan in TLM. So technically you can just walk at the bottom of the sea floor with a diving suit and a really long air pipe.

Also loving the revelation that Shallan can make pretty much a submarine with Transformation. That was not something I ever expected to see. 

3 hours ago, Lord Spirit said:

It says it’s obsidian, but obsidian isn’t that strong (despite what Minecraft claims). Could you theoretically break it? If so, what would be underneath? Or would it just be endlessly thick obsidian?

Aye. Obsidian is hard, and so it's difficult to scratch, but it's basically just glass so it'll shatter fairly easily. If you want something tough and difficult to break, the research I've done says jade is a better option. So... it might be possible to break it?

And if it is breakable, and it isn't infinitely thick, I'm tossing my vote in for the underneath being some Hidden-World-esque birthplace of spren. I mean, it's the Cognitive Realm, so if we're going deeper down into the realm of thought itself...?

7 hours ago, Lord Spirit said:

It says it’s obsidian, but obsidian isn’t that strong (despite what Minecraft claims). Could you theoretically break it? If so, what would be underneath? Or would it just be endlessly thick obsidian?

They mine it for Soulcasting, so it does seem to be breakable. Curious about how deep it goes as well, though. Similarly, I wonder what happens if you keep flying up?

18 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

They mine it for Soulcasting, so it does seem to be breakable. Curious about how deep it goes as well, though. Similarly, I wonder what happens if you keep flying up?

I was thinking about this the other day - or more specifically, what happens with the sun there. Is it just there because people expect there to be one? Could you reach it? I have this image of it being absurdly small.

I think my expectations would be something like video game logic, where the sky is a “skybox” and you can’t actually reach anything, and at a certain point you’re just making a number go up.

Except Shadesmar is non-Euclidian so even the height may not go up. The entire concept of the Cognitive is that people are really bad at imagining distances between planets; I’d wager that stays true for how high “up” or “down” you can go.

I have long believed the original Vessels killed Adonalsium with some sort of Cognitive “bomb” – a device to kill Adonalsium’s mind but leave his Investiture available to be Shattered and allocated among the Vessels. Perhaps made from aluminum? Unclear. Regardless, I think the “explosion” left its mark on the Cognitive Realm, which at the time was Adonalsium’s brain, so to speak.

On earth, volcanic eruptions of heated magma that suddenly cools create obsidian. The sudden cooling makes the rock glass-like. I think killing Adonalsium did this to the Cognitive Realm, turning its walls and floor into obsidian.

Each subastral manifests its planet’s perceptions and forms – beads, mist, etc. (Plasma?) But IIRC the walls and floor of each subastral and the places between subastrals are obsidian. FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2024 at 2:32 PM, JustQuestin2004 said:

I know this is probably not the most interesting observation in this chapter, but I couldn't help but notice it.

Reveal hidden contents

Shallan, floating along on a platform. Shallan had been stretching these muscles more and more lately. So maybe…

With more Stormlight from Drehy in hand, she managed to sink the room to the bottom of the bead ocean. Then she sent it traveling along like a little boat under the water.

Shadesmar has a bottom of the bead floor! I had no idea! I thought it was meant to be endless and stuff, like was implied by MeLaan in TLM. So technically you can just walk at the bottom of the sea floor with a diving suit and a really long air pipe.

Also loving the revelation that Shallan can make pretty much a submarine with Transformation. That was not something I ever expected to see. 

I'm re-reading the cosmere right now as prep for WaT, and I'm up to OB. 

They hit the bottom, which was shallow, here near the shore

Chapter 110

This means that we already knew shadesmar had a bottom to the ocean

Kaladin took a deep breath, then nodded. He started pacing anyway, so Shallan settled on the ground to wait, pack in her lap.

"Yes. Even the slope agrees." She kicked at the obsidian ground, which ran at a gentle incline.

Both chapter 110

I don't want to be annoying, but we knew that Shadesmar had a bottom since OB.

Also, Shallan makes a room at the bottom of the ocean, which is how they escaped the Fused in this chapter (Heavenly Ones). 

So, yes, Shallan can make a submarine, and she has done what she did in the preview chapters before, as early as OB.

One thing I’ve been watching through different books is how Shadesmar is different in different systems.

i don’t think all shadesmar everywhere is beads. I don’t have the time right now to find the quote but Melaan’s observations at the end of Lost Metal do not mention beads. I’m guessing it has to do with how investiture is perceived by the local system. Maybe the Scadrian cognitive realm has seas of particles (a la metal flakes/ particles)

Makes me more intrigued for Emberdark. Is that ship flying through like a space ship? Is it sailing through like a boat? Is it a submarine type vehicle?

hm. Also makes me wonder - is Shadesmar the name for ALL the cognitive realm or just the cul de sac of the cognitive realm in the Rosharan system…

49 minutes ago, Inevitability said:

One thing I’ve been watching through different books is how Shadesmar is different in different systems.

i don’t think all shadesmar everywhere is beads. I don’t have the time right now to find the quote but Melaan’s observations at the end of Lost Metal do not mention beads. I’m guessing it has to do with how investiture is perceived by the local system. Maybe the Scadrian cognitive realm has seas of particles (a la metal flakes/ particles)

Makes me more intrigued for Emberdark. Is that ship flying through like a space ship? Is it sailing through like a boat? Is it a submarine type vehicle?

hm. Also makes me wonder - is Shadesmar the name for ALL the cognitive realm or just the cul de sac of the cognitive realm in the Rosharan system…

You are correct, the Shadesmar on Scadrial is very different from the Shadesmar on Roshar. I'd recommend reading "Secret History."

I have no idea if 'Shadesmar' is a Roshar-specific term or not, but I know for sure that the technical, Cosmere-wide term is 'Cognitive Realm.'

On 9/3/2024 at 2:32 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, I think a long pipe would be pretty difficult to move with because the beads  are so numerous and crushing… however this would be a cool idea for a submerged hideout with a permanent air intake system

3 hours ago, Inevitability said:

It's the name for Rosharan subastral, but it's often used to mean Cognitive Realm in general, because this word just means Cognitive Realm.

Spoiler

Leinton (paraphrased)

Is there a difference between Shadesmar and the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Shadesmar is a word for the Cognitive Realm specifically touching [Roshar]. It's like San Diego is a word for a place in America. It's a local word.

Words of Radiance San Diego signing (March 4, 2014)

Spoiler

Questioner

So the Cognitive realm.  Is Shadesmar a Roshar specific term?

Brandon Sanderson

Shadesmar is Roshar specific term, but when I translate from what other people are saying in these books I just translate it to Shadesmar.  So for instance when Wit is talking about it he's going to call it Shadesmar.  He's just going to use the Roshar term. But no, Shadesmar  is what it's called there.  

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

Spoiler

Argent (paraphrased)

Do the Spiritual and Physical Realms have names, like Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Kind of, but not really. Shadesmar is just a rough translation of "Cognitive Realm" in the language of whoever first found out about it. Other people, planets, and worlds wouldn't call it Shadesmar - they would call it whatever their words for "Cognitive Realm" are. This applies to the Physical and Spiritual as well.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Edited by alder24