Era 2 Koloss naming conventions

Atlas333

Question

I'm writing a fic with some Koloss characters and was wondering if anyone had some insight into koloss names. Are there any real-world cultures that might be a good analog? Or do they have any other naming conventions that I should follow? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

39 minutes ago, Atlas333 said:

I'm writing a fic with some Koloss characters and was wondering if anyone had some insight into koloss names. Are there any real-world cultures that might be a good analog? Or do they have any other naming conventions that I should follow? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

I would suggest checking the Coppermind, as it lists known Koloss names. 

Also, it would matter if you mean Era 1 or Era 2. In Era 1, their names would be the name of whomever received the spikes (unless they chose a new moniker, like Human, whose real name was Vershad). In Era 2, there does not seem to be much linguistic derivation - although that may differn between Koloss and Koloss-blooded. For example, IRL, Tarson as a first name is found in Brazil, and Tarson as a surname is believed to have origins in Scots Gaelic. Based on this, I would guess that Era 2 Tarson is going by a surname, as European naming conventions were used for Scadrial (though, usually Germanic and French). 

Annotations to HoA Ch 37:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Human's Origin

Human is a very special koloss. He's quite a bit older than most, his creation running all the way back to before the Lord Ruler's death. He was originally the leader of a rebellion out in the southeast—the same area where Clubs spent his youth fighting. Human, then known as Vershad, was one of the more successful leaders of the wasted men—those who live out in the desert outside the borders of the Final Empire, but come in to raid and steal supplies from outlying villages.

Charismatic and intelligent, he managed to keep his band alive even once the Lord Ruler turned his attention on them. Rather than ravaging villages, Vershad would convert them—quietly, carefully—to his side and get them to give him supplies. In turn, he would "raid" them and destroy the lords' mansions, causing chaos and letting the people get a sideways revenge against their masters. In the chaos, it would be assumed that the raiders got away with the skaa food, and it would be replenished.

The Lord Ruler tired of such games and eventually sent his koloss against Vershad and his men. As clever as they were, they weren't able to stand against a well-laid betrayal and ambush set by an Inquisitor—one who controlled a troop of koloss. The raiders were slaughtered, and Vershad himself was turned into a koloss for his crimes.

He retained enough of his determination and his intelligence, however, to make a remarkably clever koloss. (There is some variety to koloss, based on who they were before the transformation.)

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Nov. 10, 2009)

Hope that helps.