BODYGUARDS WANTED--For the protection of his Lordship, Duke Ehlu--(50 silver an hour, non-negotiable)

J. Magi

(this isn't an actual Poll)(( I mean you could place a vote on your team as recognition that it's there if you wanted))  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Teams:

• Team 1: Eublech ( @Ancient Elantrian), Heartache ( @Just_a_Fan) Reivoki ( @BrechioSwordMouse), Nera ( @J. Magi), Arranis (@Scars of Hathsin) and Skunk (@SmilingPanda19)
    • Team 2: Sleeper ( @TheRavenHasLanded), Alvar ( @Dragonheir), Lusha ( @Spark of Hope), Calum (npc, famous mercenary), Galdorn ( @TwinSouls). and Dint (@SpiritOfWrath)

Nera pushed her way through the busy market place. It was packed despite the early hour.

A man from the south was sitting on one corner, playing an instrument she didn't recognize. The foreign twang of his music blended surprisingly well with the constant chatter and noise of passing people. The soul of the land itself, calling good morning to each of it's children.

The morning sun was still rising behind the nearest building, casting a cool purple shadow over the street. It subdued the bright colors around her--the dies and decorations Terjin was famous for. They weren't to her taste.

She turned down the next road, leaving the shadow. The sunlight cut through crisp morning air to reach her. She held a hand up to her eyes to protect them from the onslaught of brightness.

Fabric merchants had their best yards out on display. A food cart passed her, leaving hot steam in it's wake. A few drunks exited a nearby bar, and Nera wondered if they'd been there all night. She passed a florist who managed to overpower even the street food with it's aroma.

It was difficult to shove your way through a crowd when you were only 3 and a half feet tall. She'd never been to a Tall-men city before, and she was starting to realize there was a reason her kind stuck to small country-side villages. At least her small size meant she could slip between stalls most couldn't.

It took her the better part of an hour to reach the city hall building, in the dead center of Terjin. When Nera finally reached the pale marble steps, she felt more then a little dizzy. So many people and so much color and so much detail in every nook and cranny was disorienting. She'd almost been hit by a wagon twice, the drivers not seeing her because of her stature. It wasn't their fault halflings weren't common here, she knew that, but it was still frustrating.

Nera sat on the steps to catch her breath and re-orient herself. Tall-people of every size, shape, and color passed by in a blur. How did they stop to buy things from the stalls when everyone moved so fast? It must be like trying to cut through a stampeding herd Kows.

She pulled open her pack, to double check the flyer she'd picked up last night.

!  !  BODYGUARDS WANTED  !  !

--For the protection of his Lordship, Duke Ehlu--

(50 silver an hour, non-negotiable)

Our dear and precious Lord is in jeopardy! Mysterious vagabonds have tried to steal him from us twice. We don't know where they come from, hence 'mysterious.' It'd suck if we lost our Lord so we'd need some help protecting him. I guess the army battalion stationed at his mansion isn't enough. Those slackers.

Lerren you can't write that on the flyer, it's rude-- Master Igeni

I can do whatever I damn please. Anyway, meet at the city hall for auditions

Auditions? what are they, players?--Master Igeni

Whatever I don't know the word. The mayor is gonna sort through ya'll and pick the strongest to protect his lordship. We won't take just anybody of the street--duh. It starts at 9:30, don't be late, or do, I'm just a scribes apprentice I don't actually care.

Lerren you know this is unprofessional, you'll have to do it again if you want me to pay you--Master Igeni

I was gonna quit anyway.

Despite whatever narrative it told, Nera had still gotten it from a stack of advertisements in the she'd stayed in tavern. Perhaps Lerren snuck it in as a joke. Either way, it was hopefully still accurate.

She wasn't new to being a mercenary, but most of her previous work was protecting caravans and fighting wild animals for homesteads. This would be a massive step up for her--if she got the job. An opportunity like this would surely help her start to make a name for herself. 

Still, she couldn't help but be intimidated. What if she wasn't strong enough and got rejected? What if the other candidates were scary?

Nera took a deep breath to calm herself. She was grown adult, even if it didn't seem that way to the Tall-men. She could handle herself. Glancing at the sun, she determined that 9:30 was still a good ten minutes away, so she pulled out a home-made sandwich to munch on in the meantime.

hello

Nera:

Spoiler

Name: Nerananananan Ana (yes)

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): Halfling

Appearance: Smol. Honey colored hair and pale skin with light freckles. Big brown eyes. Surprisingly strong. Probably looks 11 or 12 to the humans. She's wearing a white tunic under a light blue doublet, with grey tights and leather shoes. She also has a small pack with basic traveling supplies. 

Personality: Dependable, responsible, does her best, a little salty at times. Really does care deep down.

Skills: Can cook. Knows a few cantrips.

Weapon of Choice: Crossbow, short sword.

Background: She left her village at a young age to seek adventure. Then she worked on a farm for while, and the guy who owned the farm taught her to fight. After fighting off wild animals for farmers, she decided to take bigger and bigger jobs, happy that she'd finally found something she had a knack for.

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: How did the barber win the race? He knew a shortcut

Go forth (please ;-;)

Character Sheet:

Spoiler

Name:

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever):

Appearance:

Personality:

Skills:

Weapon of choice:

Background:

Other/favorite food/cool jokes:

Edited by J. Magi

12 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Nera pushed her way through the busy market place. It was packed despite the early hour.

A man from the south was sitting on one corner, playing an instrument she didn't recognize. The foreign twang of his music blended surprisingly well with the constant chatter and noise of passing people. The soul of the land itself, calling good morning to each of it's children.

The morning sun was still rising behind the nearest building, casting a cool purple shadow over the street. It subdued the bright colors around her--the dies and decorations Terjin was famous for. They weren't to her taste.

She turned down the next road, leaving the shadow. The sunlight cut through crisp morning air to reach her. She held a hand up to her eyes to protect them from the onslaught of brightness.

Fabric merchants had their best yards out on display. A food cart passed her, leaving hot steam in it's wake. A few drunks exited a nearby bar, and Nera wondered if they'd been there all night. She passed a florist who managed to overpower even the street food with it's aroma.

It was difficult to shove your way through a crowd when you were only 3 and a half feet tall. She'd never been to a Tall-men city before, and she was starting to realize there was a reason her kind stuck to small country-side villages. At least her small size meant she could slip between stalls most couldn't.

It took her the better part of an hour to reach the city hall building, in the dead center of Terjin. When Nera finally reached the pale marble steps, she felt more then a little dizzy. So many people and so much color and so much detail in every nook and cranny was disorienting. She'd almost been hit by a wagon twice, the drivers not seeing her because of her stature. It wasn't their fault halflings weren't common here, she knew that, but it was still frustrating.

Nera sat on the steps to catch her breath and re-orient herself. Tall-people of every size, shape, and color passed by in a blur. How did they stop to buy things from the stalls when everyone moved so fast? It must be like trying to cut through a stampeding herd Kows.

Our dear and precious Lord is in jeopardy! Mysterious vagabonds have tried to steal him from us twice. We don't know where they come from, hence 'mysterious.' It'd suck if we lost our Lord so we'd need some help protecting him. I guess the army battalion stationed at his mansion isn't enough. Those slackers.

Whatever I don't know the word. The mayor is gonna sort through ya'll and pick the strongest to protect his lordship. We won't take just anybody of the street--duh. It starts at 9:30, don't be late, or do, I'm just a scribes apprentice I don't actually care.

Lerren you know this is unprofessional, you'll have to do it again if you want me to pay you--Master Igeni

I was gonna quit anyway.

Despite whatever narrative it told, Nera had still gotten it from a stack of advertisements in the she'd stayed in tavern. Perhaps Lerren snuck it in as a joke. Either way, it was hopefully still accurate.

She wasn't new to being a mercenary, but most of her previous work was protecting caravans and fighting wild animals for homesteads. This would be a massive step up for her--if she got the job. An opportunity like this would surely help her start to make a name for herself. 

Still, she couldn't help but be intimidated. What if she wasn't strong enough and got rejected? What if the other candidates were scary?

Nera took a deep breath to calm herself. She was grown adult, even if it didn't seem that way to the Tall-men. She could handle herself. Glancing at the sun, she determined that 9:30 was still a good ten minutes away, so she pulled out a home-made sandwich to munch on in the meantime.

Is magic allowed

4 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Spoiler

Name: Lusha

Race: Elf/nymph

Appearance: Shoulder length green hair and wide purple eyes. Wears a ring on the pinky and middle fingers of her left hand. Elf ears, both are lobe pierced and the right is “helix” pierced

Personality: Curious, slightly naive, intelligent

Skills: can grow rose vines at will

Weapon of choice: bow and arrow

Background: comes from a military family and knows a lot about how military(esque) groups work

56 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

Perfect!!

40 minutes ago, BrechioSwordMouse said:

I'm not on the shard much but could I be a character that shows up every once in a while?

oh for sure

Hi! This looks fun. Hmmm. 

Spoiler

Name: Alvar 

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): quarter mountain elf, quarter human, and half unknown ancestry orphan - perhaps part sharkfolk 

Appearance: tall, with slightly pointed ears, snow pale skin, spine like hair, a few sharp teeth, and literally reflective eyes, he’s a mash of several different species that somehow manages to only be odd, not frightening. He’s also relatively well muscled, moves like a competent warrior, and has what appears to be custom leather armor; it has nozzles threaded through it. 

Personality: rather cocky, he projects confidence to prevent others from targeting him. He’s mostly in this job so he can improve his skills and reputation. 

Skills: a mix of several different magical races results in some strange magic. Alvar possesses some innate water, stone, and weather magic, which, although individually weak, can be used together to form tough ice constructions large enough to use as weapons and armor. He’s a self-trained fighter, athletic enough to hold his own with most weapons. He does well in cold or high altitudes, and can supplement his held breath with semi-vestigial gills, but suffers in warm or dry climates. In fact, he needs to soak every couple of days to avoid his skin drying out.  

Weapon of choice: his ice blades, which he can create slowly from ambient humidity or quickly from a liquid source exposed to the air, which includes blood. They’re barbed and serrated, and he can lessen the earth magic strengthening to cause sharp ice to break off inside his opponent. If he has the money, he occasionally uses frozen venom, making the weapons even more deadly. 

Background: his parents were mercenaries and adventurers (they are essentially the same profession), and one day never came back from a job. Alvar went from the streets to the wilderness and back, getting better at fighting all the time. He began slaying monsters and taking mercenary contracts, working for essentially anyone. His skill allows him to make ends meet, but at the same time prevents him from settling down and taking a normal job. So he takes contracts, hones his skills, and builds his reputation, not really knowing what else to do. 

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: he’ll eat most forms of food, but one of his favorite things is chilled cream he freezes himself. Too bad he puts raw fish in it, or everyone else would want some too. 

Alvar is searching for a new contract, having come back from taking down a nest of drakes. The infuriating creatures had just kept going further down their tunnels, almost drowning him. He hadn’t been paid nearly enough for the trouble, puny the drakes may have been. But the Duke, now he would pay well. Not the best paying job he’d ever done, but the scales of pay, effort, and legal dubiousness were balanced pretty well in his favor. And the audition - let alone the job itself - might earn him some prestige. Maybe he could score an even more important contract… 

5 hours ago, J. Magi said:

I was gonna quit anyway.

I legit thought this was like a scammer or bot when I saw the title

Spoiler

Name: Eublech Schmartzenburg

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): Elf

Appearance: Tall. Elvish. Amiable.

Personality: Tall. Elvish. Grumpy.

Skills: Sneaky, attentive, espionage-y stuff

Weapon of choice: Blowgun

Background: Professional Hitman

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: 

59 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

LOLLLLL IT DOES LOOK LIKE A BOT POST (maybe I'll shorten it a bit)

also character looks good.

3 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

Hi! This looks fun. Hmmm. 

Hide contents

Name: Alvar 

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): quarter mountain elf, quarter human, and half unknown ancestry orphan - perhaps part sharkfolk 

Appearance: tall, with slightly pointed ears, snow pale skin, spine like hair, a few sharp teeth, and literally reflective eyes, he’s a mash of several different species that somehow manages to only be odd, not frightening. He’s also relatively well muscled, moves like a competent warrior, and has what appears to be custom leather armor; it has nozzles threaded through it. 

Personality: rather cocky, he projects confidence to prevent others from targeting him. He’s mostly in this job so he can improve his skills and reputation. 

Skills: a mix of several different magical races results in some strange magic. Alvar possesses some innate water, stone, and weather magic, which, although individually weak, can be used together to form tough ice constructions large enough to use as weapons and armor. He’s a self-trained fighter, athletic enough to hold his own with most weapons. He does well in cold or high altitudes, and can supplement his held breath with semi-vestigial gills, but suffers in warm or dry climates. In fact, he needs to soak every couple of days to avoid his skin drying out.  

Weapon of choice: his ice blades, which he can create slowly from ambient humidity or quickly from a liquid source exposed to the air, which includes blood. They’re barbed and serrated, and he can lessen the earth magic strengthening to cause sharp ice to break off inside his opponent. If he has the money, he occasionally uses frozen venom, making the weapons even more deadly. 

Background: his parents were mercenaries and adventurers (they are essentially the same profession), and one day never came back from a job. Alvar went from the streets to the wilderness and back, getting better at fighting all the time. He began slaying monsters and taking mercenary contracts, working for essentially anyone. His skill allows him to make ends meet, but at the same time prevents him from settling down and taking a normal job. So he takes contracts, hones his skills, and builds his reputation, not really knowing what else to do. 

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: he’ll eat most forms of food, but one of his favorite things is chilled cream he freezes himself. Too bad he puts raw fish in it, or everyone else would want some too. 

Alvar is searching for a new contract, having come back from taking down a nest of drakes. The infuriating creatures had just kept going further down their tunnels, almost drowning him. He hadn’t been paid nearly enough for the trouble, puny the drakes may have been. But the Duke, now he would pay well. Not the best paying job he’d ever done, but the scales of pay, effort, and legal dubiousness were balanced pretty well in his favor. And the audition - let alone the job itself - might earn him some prestige. Maybe he could score an even more important contract… 

Nice, looks good

Nera put her sandwich away when she saw other fighters begin to gather near the hall's entrance.

Should she introduce herself to them? Surely they'd learn each other's names when the even started.

4 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

Nera put her sandwich away when she saw other fighters begin to gather near the hall's entrance.

Should she introduce herself to them? Surely they'd learn each other's names when the even started.

Eublech walks over to Nera, an amiable look on his face. "You're going to fail." He said grumpily.

Hey, not completely a bot.

No black magic divorce specialists.

27 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Eublech walks over to Nera, an amiable look on his face. "You're going to fail." He said grumpily.

the black magic divorce airline services how to get back with you ex bots were iconic

"Gee, thanks," She replied shifting her pack. "Any particular reason why?"

Edited by J. Magi

8 hours ago, J. Magi said:

8 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Lusha’s eyebrows furrowed. “That was uncalled for.”

8 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

4 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

Alvar watches the exchange, leaning against the wall and spinning his singular metal dagger in a very intentionally absentminded way. “The ad did say bodyguards, so you three might have a chance.” 

11 hours ago, J. Magi said:

3 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

2 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

Alvar watches the exchange, leaning against the wall and spinning his singular metal dagger in a very intentionally absentminded way. “The ad did say bodyguards, so you three might have a chance.” 

“Because I will succeed.” Eublech said, smiling aimiably but sounding extremely grumpy. “And you will die. Or something.” 

15 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Yes

3 minutes ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“Because I will succeed.” Eublech said, smiling aimiably but sounding extremely grumpy. “And you will die. Or something.” 

“A-as this one said,” she indicated towards Alvar, “the ad implied multiple openings.” Her voice was high-pitched and quiet. 

2 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

3 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

“That has the sound of feigned confidence to it.” says Alvar, feigning confidence. 

6 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

“A-as this one said,” she indicated towards Alvar, “the ad implied multiple openings.” Her voice was high-pitched and quiet. 

"Multiple openings for what?" Says Reivoki walking over.

Spoiler

Name: Reivoki Windbraid

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): Half-Dwarf Half-Human

Appearance: Shorter than all other humans, Clean-shaven, blacksmith's build, and long black hair.

Personality: Grumpy most of the time. Goes off on his own a lot. He always loves a good drink.

Skills: Taking broken weapons and fixing them. Good with the sword.

Weapon of choice: Father's sword. (It has some runes carved in it but he doesn't understand them.)

Background: Born in a multi race village father died when he was little leaving him with his mom. Got married to a nice elf woman and had kids (3 girls and one baby boy). His mother is now really old and usually just gets mad at him all the time. He just got fired from his job as a town blacksmith and is trying to find a way to provide for his family.

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: Don't ask him why he doesn't have a beard if he is part dwarf he's self-conscious about it.

10 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

10 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

7 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Spoiler

YES YES YES

7 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Nera rolled her eyes. "The auditions aren't going to be that perilous, I'm sure."

7 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

4 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

“That has the sound of feigned confidence to it.” says Alvar, feigning confidence. 

She chuckled at his comment.

33 minutes ago, BrechioSwordMouse said:

Reveal hidden contents

Appearance: Shorter than all other humans, Clean-shaven, blacksmith's build, and long black hair.

Personality: Grumpy most of the time. Goes off on his own a lot. He always loves a good drink.

Weapon of choice: Father's sword. (It has some runes carved in it but he doesn't understand them.)

Background: Born in a multi race village father died when he was little leaving him with his mom. Got married to a nice elf woman and had kids (3 girls and one baby boy). His mother is now really old and usually just gets mad at him all the time. He just got fired from his job as a town blacksmith and is trying to find a way to provide for his family.

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: Don't ask him why he doesn't have a beard if he is part dwarf he's self-conscious about it.

Looks good!

"The lord of the city is hiring new bodyguards," Nera explained. "The auditions should start soon."

2 hours ago, BrechioSwordMouse said:

Reveal hidden contents

Lisha blushed. 

2 hours ago, J. Magi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

YES YES YES

Nera rolled her eyes. "The auditions aren't going to be that perilous, I'm sure."

She chuckled at his comment.

"The lord of the city is hiring new bodyguards," Nera explained. "The auditions should start soon."

She nodded. 

2 hours ago, J. Magi said:

“They’ll probably just drop some weak monsters into an area and see what we do.” Alvar continues to lean against the wall, faking intimidating nonchalance and twirling a dagger. “I guess we’ll see if you’ll actually hold your own.” 

2 minutes ago, Dragonheir said:

“They’ll probably just drop some weak monsters into an area and see what we do.” Alvar continues to lean against the wall, faking intimidating nonchalance and twirling a dagger. “I guess we’ll see if you’ll actually hold your own.” 

“There’ll probably be an interview…”

1 hour ago, Dragonheir said:

"Are you underestimating me?" She actually sounded a little offended.

"Whatever . . . I don't care that much." Nera did care that much.

1 hour ago, Spark of Hope said:

“There’ll probably be an interview…”

"Yeah, they'll want to know our backgrounds for sure."

"Are you underestimating me?" She actually sounded a little offended.

"Whatever . . . I don't care that much." Nera did care that much.

Alvar considers explaining that he’d meant the whole group, but decides against it. The trial is about to start, anyway.