BODYGUARDS WANTED--For the protection of his Lordship, Duke Ehlu--(50 silver an hour, non-negotiable)

J. Magi

(this isn't an actual Poll)(( I mean you could place a vote on your team as recognition that it's there if you wanted))  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Teams:

• Team 1: Eublech ( @Ancient Elantrian), Heartache ( @Just_a_Fan) Reivoki ( @BrechioSwordMouse), Nera ( @J. Magi), Arranis (@Scars of Hathsin) and Skunk (@SmilingPanda19)
    • Team 2: Sleeper ( @TheRavenHasLanded), Alvar ( @Dragonheir), Lusha ( @Spark of Hope), Calum (npc, famous mercenary), Galdorn ( @TwinSouls). and Dint (@SpiritOfWrath)

8 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

Good point

According to the internet, 30 silver coins is worth 91-441 USD. Median of that is approx 266. 266/30 = 8.9, 8.9 x 50 = about 443.34 USD

An hour

Holy crap these bodyguards are gonna be loaded

I bet that the silver coins are less valuable than they would be in real life. The gold coins are really undervalued in D&D. 

6 hours ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

...sleeper makes more than that in half an hour lol. murdering people is lucrative.

Why’s he even here, then? 

19 hours ago, Dragonheir said:

Alvar nods curtly, trying to appear disinterested and failing. He recognizes a few of the adventurers, or at least he thinks he does. He makes sure it doesn’t distract him, though. He has to prove himself! 

Alvar sits in a different chair, with similar benefits, trying to possess as much different vision range as possible while still seeing the other adventurers and Igeni. He says “good choice” under his breath as he passes Lusha. 

Nera sat down on one of the plush sofa's, hoping she wouldn't get dust on it, and trying not to think about how muddy her boots were.

She hated tall-men seating, he legs were always too short to touch the floor. It was very hard to get people to take you seriously when you had to sit like a child.

18 hours ago, TwinSouls said:

Make a characters sheet with the provided template in the first post!! You can be one of the other adventurers in the room.

9 hours ago, Dragonheir said:
9 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

*cough*

. . . . Hence the joke about the hourly wage being non-negotiable. A normal disclaimer for lower pay (used to avoid workers arguing for higher wages), but used needlessly on an extremely high paying job. This highlights the ignorance held by the government officials who have set the program up in a humorous way. They think they'll be argued with--and perhaps some of the famous adventurers present will argue, but not the majority of candidates.

ummm, as for how much it was worth, I was just going for vague fantasy 'copper, then silver, then gold' coins. I generally don't think it's super important, but if it does end up meaning anything we can go by DND's currency, because it's a good, standard system.

One of the adventurers was indeed, someone who Alvar recognized.  They don't seem to notice, or recognize him, however. @Dragonheir

I'll let you decide who they are, and describe them

Edited by J. Magi

On 9/18/2024 at 4:39 PM, J. Magi said:

One of the adventurers was indeed, someone who Alvar recognized.  They don't seem to notice, or recognize him, however. @Dragonheir

Wait… is that Calum Lightarrow? The man who single-handedly cleared a massive chunk of the countryside of monsters? Alvar didn’t know how he’d done it - Calum had probably cheated somehow - but the resulting fallout had destroyed adventurers and towns both financially and physically, as jobs and cashflow plummeted, then new monsters filled the power vacuum and overwhelmed towns. The few adventurers still in business tried to combat the massive spike in monster numbers; Alvar’s parents, along with the rest of their adventuring party, were lost to the surge. 
Alvar considers attacking Calum, but sits down to start the auditions instead, knowing that a brawl of twenty of the best adventurers would be very deadly. 

On 9/13/2024 at 3:32 PM, J. Magi said:

anything fantasy is good

Cackles in giving a kitsune a mech suit with a flamethrower, 3-barrel'd shotgun, Gatling and perhaps a laser-guided rocket launcher because si-fi.

but seriously, that's what I want to play as in this.

Name: Heartache

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): kitsune

Appearance: a 70 tailed red fox in a mech suit. (they grow more tails the older they get right?)

Personality: trained assassin from another world.

Skills: even without the mech suit in the middle of a wuxia, she's still a very deadly bounty huntress. almost surprising how she's not trying to claim the duke, but rather defending him.

Weapon of choice: in-mech, flamethrower, or 'nade launcher. out of mech, spear, modded crossbow. (though she does fancy any sort of incendiary weaponry or explosives.)

Background: from a world that collapsed due to a guy slaying its creation deity. Her favorite thing to fight there was a group of dogs, led by an 11 year old college graduate that was more or less a reincarnation of tony stark.

Favorite food: fried dragon. it's a delicacy to her.

Edited by Just_a_Fan
fried dragon.

15 hours ago, Just_a_Fan said:

@BrechioSwordMouse

Heartache passes him a glass bottle of milk. "here, should help calm the nerves."

Hide contents

I'm gonna leave the effects of kitsune milk out in the open, or make it's powers be plot connivence.

Reivoki smiles slightly and grabs the bottle. "Thanks." He opens the bottle and starts drinking.

On 9/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, Spark of Hope said:

Lusha sat, ready to begin. 

On 9/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, BrechioSwordMouse said:

Reivoki sat down not caring that he was getting the sofa dirty.

On 9/21/2024 at 1:23 PM, Dragonheir said:

Wait… is that Calum Lightarrow? The man who single-handedly cleared a massive chunk of the countryside of monsters? Alvar didn’t know how he’d done it - Calum had probably cheated somehow - but the resulting fallout had destroyed adventurers and towns both financially and physically, as jobs and cashflow plummeted, then new monsters filled the power vacuum and overwhelmed towns. The few adventurers still in business tried to combat the massive spike in monster numbers; Alvar’s parents, along with the rest of their adventuring party, were lost to the surge. 
Alvar considers attacking Calum, but sits down to start the auditions instead, knowing that a brawl of twenty of the best adventurers would be very deadly. 

Calum sat back on one of the finest couches, his boots propped up on the coffee table. He looked bored at best, but was still oddly tense, as if he'd forgotten he wasn't on the battlefield at the moment.

On 9/21/2024 at 1:42 PM, Just_a_Fan said:

I absolutely love it, however, try to be mindful about keeping your character from being too op. If one person breezes through everything, then it's not as fun for the others.

On 9/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, BrechioSwordMouse said:

Reivoki is uncomfortable with Heartache in the room. He doesn't know whether he should start asking questions about the suit or start running for his life. He keeps glancing over at her every few seconds.

4 hours ago, BrechioSwordMouse said:

Reivoki smiles slightly and grabs the bottle. "Thanks." He opens the bottle and starts drinking.

The tall, muscular women who had been standing when they entered cleared her throat loudly. The quiet chatter among the richest mercenaries quieted.

"I'm lady Genuhk, as Master Igeni said, I'll be handling the selection process of this whole affair." She did not look pleased to be doing so. 

She ran a hand through her coarse, short black hair.

"Lerren is going to pass around a clipboard, sign your name--your real name, so we can do a quick background check."

One of the most decorated mercenaries snorted. "As if you don't know . . ." He muttered.

"Who you are?" She finished for him.

"I don't. Fame will have no factor in this." Lady Genuhk insisted, her eyes hard. "I won't have some pompous fool placed as the only line of defense for his Lordship."

Leren began passing around the clipboard.

2 hours ago, J. Magi said:

I absolutely love it, however, try to be mindful about keeping your character from being too op. If one person breezes through everything, then it's not as fun for the others.

yeah, yeah. she mostly just uses it as a means of transport, and thinks it looks intimidating, never actually using the weapons, "too flashy for this line of work. you just need one person dead, not the entire village." she says.

on appearance, she's a weak, fragile pest hiding in an unstoppable juggernaut suit capable of dueling with dragons. in practice, she's a trained assassin fox-spirit magic wielder that happens to use a futuristic tank as a getaway vehicle.

If you have to get rid of it, throw a ball of water at it and fry the electronics. she can always downgrade to a set of plate armor... er, rather, she can always enchant a set of plate armor. (most likely stuffed with hay or pillows.) The ol' bucket of bolts isn't the most comfy thing in the world, anyways.

Edited by Just_a_Fan

3 hours ago, J. Magi said:

Calum sat back on one of the finest couches, his boots propped up on the coffee table. He looked bored at best, but was still oddly tense, as if he'd forgotten he wasn't on the battlefield at the moment.

The tall, muscular women who had been standing when they entered cleared her throat loudly. The quiet chatter among the richest mercenaries quieted.

"I'm lady Genuhk, as Master Igeni said, I'll be handling the selection process of this whole affair." She did not look pleased to be doing so. 

She ran a hand through her coarse, short black hair.

"Lerren is going to pass around a clipboard, sign your name--your real name, so we can do a quick background check."

One of the most decorated mercenaries snorted. "As if you don't know . . ." He muttered.

"Who you are?" She finished for him.

"I don't. Fame will have no factor in this." Lady Genuhk insisted, her eyes hard. "I won't have some pompous fool placed as the only line of defense for his Lordship."

Leren began passing around the clipboard.

Lusha of Vinegale. 

19 hours ago, Just_a_Fan said:

mkay

16 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

Lusha of Vinegale. 

"To see if your good enough for our lord, you'll be split into teams and given the same job to complete. Whoever does it best, will be hired to protect the Duke." The Lady said after the clipboard started making it's way around the room.

Nera signed it quickly, under the growing list of names in different hand writing. Her hand wasn't very good, she wasn't an intellectual. Nerananananan Ana, she scribbled on the paper.

"Nice and simple, right?" Genuhk grunted. "I want this over without complications. Just do your best and I'll decide who's best is better then the others."

When the clipboard got back to her, she studied for a few seconds. Then, pulling out a pen she absently circled names together, dividing them into random groups. She put little thought into it, but when she read the names, it was clear she had divided the richer, more famous mercenaries up so they weren't all together.

"Alright . . .  group one:

Eublech ( @Ancient Elantrian, Heartache ( @Just_a_Fan) Reivoki ( @BrechioSwordMouse), Nera ( @J. Magi) Allen Terick (npc, famous mercenary, half elvish ranger)."

"And group two:

Sleeper ( @TheRavenHasLanded), Alvar ( @Dragonheir), Lusha ( @Spark of Hope), Calum (npc, famous mercenary), and Jerani (npc, famous mercenary, Dwarish barbarian)."

mkay, so I was trying to think of a way to do this so that would be fun, and not tedious. Hopefully this will lead to some chaos and interesting stuff.

Since we have seven players, the teams are uneven, so I gave the smaller team an extra npc. Also yes, I did describe the famous merc group to be larger then 3, but I don't have the braincells for that many NPC's (you can pretend some of them are just nobles who came to watch, idk).

Also, before we really get started, are you still interest Twinsouls?

@TwinSouls

"Do whatever you'd like with your group, the test will start in an hour," Lady Genuhk said, tucking the clipboard under her arm. "Plan, chat, make friendship bracelets, I don't care."

She turned to go, but stopped and added: "We won't regulate any items or equipment going into the test, so take whatever you want. At the end of the day, that sort of stuff will be used on the actual job, so I don't care."

With that, she stomped out of the room, to finish whatever preparations were waiting.

"You heard her!" Master igenis said cheerfully. "We'll move to the testing location in just one hour!"

Lerren rolled his eyes, and left as well, following the Lady through a door on the rooms far wall.

Edited by J. Magi

3 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

"To see if your good enough for our lord, you'll be split into teams and given the same job to complete. Whoever does it best, will be hired to protect the Duke." The Lady said after the clipboard started making it's way around the room.

Nera signed it quickly, under the growing list of names in different hand writing. Her hand wasn't very good, she wasn't an intellectual. Nerananananan Ana, she scribbled on the paper.

"Nice and simple, right?" Genuhk grunted. "I want this over without complications. Just do your best and I'll decide who's best is better then the others."

When the clipboard got back to her, she studied for a few seconds. Then, pulling out a pen she absently circled names together, dividing them into random groups. She put little thought into it, but when she read the names, it was clear she had divided the richer, more famous mercenaries up so they weren't all together.

Eublech ( @Ancient Elantrian, Heartache ( @Just_a_Fan) Reivoki ( @BrechioSwordMouse), Nera ( @J. Magi) Allen Terick (npc, famous mercenary, half elvish ranger)."

"And group two:

Sleeper ( @TheRavenHasLanded), Alvar ( @Dragonheir), Lusha ( @Spark of Hope), Calum (npc, famous mercenary), and Jerani (npc, famous mercenary, Dwarish barbarian)."

@TwinSouls

"Do whatever you'd like with your group, the test will start in an hour," Lady Genuhk said, tucking the clipboard under her arm. "Plan, chat, make friendship bracelets, I don't care."

She turned to go, but stopped and added: "We won't regulate any items or equipment going into the test, so take whatever you want. At the end of the day, that sort of stuff will be used on the actual job, so I don't care."

With that, she stomped out of the room, to finish whatever preparations were waiting.

"You heard her!" Master igenis said cheerfully. "We'll move to the testing location in just one hour!"

Lerren rolled his eyes, and left as well, following the Lady through a door on the rooms far wall.

Yeah, I just had to finish my sheet.

Name: Galdorn

Race (fantasy or normal or whatever): human

Appearance: dark brown, almost red eyes.

Personality: quiet, generally isn’t paying attention

Skills: throwing just about anything

Weapon of choice: crossbow

Background: used to be a bouncer at tavern, got fired for not noticing brawl.

Other/favorite food/cool jokes: will do anything to get a slice of ham.

1 minute ago, TwinSouls said:

Okay, looks good! Now that we have even players, I'll replace one of the np's, so the teams are now:

1-

Eublech ( @Ancient Elantrian, Heartache ( @Just_a_Fan) Reivoki ( @BrechioSwordMouse), Nera ( @J. Magi) Allen Terick (npc, famous mercenary, half elvish ranger).

2-

Sleeper ( @TheRavenHasLanded), Alvar ( @Dragonheir), Lusha ( @Spark of Hope), Calum (npc, famous mercenary), and Galdorn ( @TwinSouls)

We'll pretend that Galdorn was in the room the whole time.

21 hours ago, J. Magi said:

"And group two:

@TwinSouls

you have insulted sleeper's capabilities.

Sleeper stares at his group. "Ok, lets go"

11 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

"I said, lets move. we should get this money, no?"

7 minutes ago, TwinSouls said:

“I guess…” Galdorn sighs, then stands up, cracking his knuckles.

Lusha stood and went with them.