Zahel and shardblades

Sythrin

Question

3 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Sythrin said:

Hi. I have a question to Vasher/Zahel. We know that Radiants and Fused can hear the scream of deadeyes when they hold their blade.
Does Vasher hear them too when he holds them? Or can he supress it similar to his color bubble?

There are no indications that Zahel would or should hear the deadeye scream, since hearing that is due to the Nahel Bond (which Zahel does not have). Zahel isn't supressing anything, it's just not something he naturally perceives (though I would guess it's possible he could if he tried).

WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

Why does the Shardbearer-- when they are dueling with Adolin and Renarin-- Why does the Shardbearer freak out when Kaladin grabs the sword? The <Shardbearer> like... He screams, and he's like, "I didn't kill you", and ran away.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Why does he do that?

Brandon Sanderson

Because when Kaladin was there, and they were touching it, they actually heard the spren that was inside of it. Right? Because when an--

Questioner

So it wasn't Syl that he heard, it was the sword.

Brandon Sanderson

It was the sword's spren... that Kaladin was touching it. When the Knight Radiant touches it-- You can see when other Knights Radiant pick up swords, they can hear the screaming.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

Hope that helps

18 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

There are no indications that Zahel would or should hear the deadeye scream, since hearing that is due to the Nahel Bond (which Zahel does not have). Zahel isn't supressing anything, it's just not something he naturally perceives (though I would guess it's possible he could if he tried).

WoB:

Hide contents

Questioner

Why does the Shardbearer-- when they are dueling with Adolin and Renarin-- Why does the Shardbearer freak out when Kaladin grabs the sword? The <Shardbearer> like... He screams, and he's like, "I didn't kill you", and ran away.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Why does he do that?

Brandon Sanderson

Because when Kaladin was there, and they were touching it, they actually heard the spren that was inside of it. Right? Because when an--

Questioner

So it wasn't Syl that he heard, it was the sword.

Brandon Sanderson

It was the sword's spren... that Kaladin was touching it. When the Knight Radiant touches it-- You can see when other Knights Radiant pick up swords, they can hear the screaming.

Salt Lake City signing (March 29, 2014)

Hope that helps

But than why do Fused hear it, like mentioned in RoW?

3 minutes ago, Sythrin said:

But than why do Fused hear it, like mentioned in RoW?

Unlike Heralds, that somehow create a physical shell when they return from Braize, Fused are (as the name implies) a form of Nahel Bond (being a Cognitive Spirit bonded to the physical body of a Singer). The Bond is the part that is important to sensing the Cognitive portion of a Deadeye.