6 minutes ago, BlueWildRye said:

A booming underwater roar came the Greenspine's response. The spike shot out like a bullet, straight at Berin, and the Greenspine's blood clouded the water.

Berin twitched out of the way just barely not fast enough, the spike implanting in his arm. He just barely managed to keep his mouth closed. 
He was running out of air. 
Struggling to see through the cloud of blood, he pulled to spike out of his arm and rammed it back in, sharp side first.

Ow. Oh. I just realized my post was confusing. “Back in” refers to the green spine, not me.

Edited by SpiritOfWrath

16 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Berin twitched out of the way just barely not fast enough, the spike implanting in his arm. He just barely managed to keep his mouth closed. 
He was running out of air. 
Struggling to see through the cloud of blood, he pulled to spike out of his arm and rammed it back in, sharp side first.

The plants seemed to move suddenly, jerking in front of the spike and slowing it, but it still pierced into the Greenspine's skin. They hit the seafloor, and the Greenspine flipped over, trying to smash Berin against the rocks.

Water pressure doesn't exist I guess.

Edited by BlueWildRye

1 minute ago, BlueWildRye said:

The plants seemed to move suddenly, jerking in front of the spike and slowing it, but it still pierced into the Greenspine's skin. They hit the seafloor, and the Greenspine flipped over, trying to smash Berin against the rocks.

Eeeeehhhh we’ren’t (a wonderful word) too deep.

Berin, seeing their quick descent, and feeling it in his ears, jumped from the monster, swimming upwards. He just barely had enough air to surface.

6 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Berin, seeing their quick descent, and feeling it in his ears, jumped from the monster, swimming upwards. He just barely had enough air to surface.

This guy can't catch a break. The Greenspine, can catch something. Not a break. A Berin. (That joke was awful I know I'm sorry)

7 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

The Greenspine followed swiftly, mouth wide open, showing teeth almost as sharp as its many spines. It was still bleeding from its back.

Also lol Stormfather

Edited by BlueWildRye

Just now, The Stormfather said:

Lol. I swear.
”I won that fight!”

*Maj*

“I got away from the nightmaws!”

*roar*

Berin cursed. He swam with his good arm away, in a direction separate from the way to the scraps of his boat. He would need to go on those. Clutching tightly onto the scale, he studied it. 

He signaled to his bird.
“Attack the weak spot when it comes up!” 
Madness stood at ready to peck at the flesh on this beast.

Berin dived downwards, hoping to pass under the beast.

4 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Berin cursed. He swam with his good arm away, in a direction separate from the way to the scraps of his boat. He would need to go on those. Clutching tightly onto the scale, he studied it. 

He signaled to his bird.
“Attack the weak spot when it comes up!” 
Madness stood at ready to peck at the flesh on this beast.

Berin dived downwards, hoping to pass under the beast.

The Greenspine surfaced again, immediately sucking all Investiture from the Aviar using its Larkin ability.

Just now, BlueWildRye said:

The Greenspine surfaced again, immediately sucking all Investiture from the Aviar using its Larkin ability.

Berin’s vision and hearing worsened significantly. But he had functioned like this before. 
Madness swooped in, pecking at the monster’s weak spot, and Berin swam back up to the surface; he wasn’t very far below. He again climbed on its back, and dug his scale into the other eye. He did this from an angle, so that it couldn’t see the attack.

17 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Berin’s vision and hearing worsened significantly. But he had functioned like this before. 
Madness swooped in, pecking at the monster’s weak spot, and Berin swam back up to the surface; he wasn’t very far below. He again climbed on its back, and dug his scale into the other eye. He did this from an angle, so that it couldn’t see the attack.

The Greenspine screeches in pain, and finally it decides to use its other ability (since it's above water now). Verdant spore vines suddenly fly out everywhere, grabbing Berin and lifting him into the air, trying to wriggle their way into his face. "I WILL FEED ON YOUR BLOOD."

Edited by BlueWildRye

2 minutes ago, BlueWildRye said:

The Greenspine screeches in pain, and finally it decides to use its other ability (since it's above water now). Verdant spore vines suddenly fly out everywhere, grabbing Berin and lifting him into the air, trying to wriggle their way into his face.

Berin struggles against the vines, willing them off of himself.
He used the scale to try to scrape them off of his face, and called to Madness for help.

Edited by SpiritOfWrath

1 minute ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

He used the scale to try to scrape them off of his face, and called to Madness for help.

He... he can control Verdant aether?

2 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Out-of universe, we've been fighting for over 12 hours. Wow.

6 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

The vines tighten instead, although little bits of green dust are scraped off, silver is the only real effective material that can combat aether.

1 minute ago, BlueWildRye said:

The vines tighten instead, although little bits of green dust are scraped off, silver is the only real effective material that can combat aether.

I’m curious, how well known are these spores? I just am wondering if Berin might believably stumble into controlling them. I mean, he doesn’t have any powers at all. Just the Aviar he was given.

(this isn’t really serious, it’s just the sad hope.)

Honestly. The beast should know to fear me. It’s been 12 hours.

Berin closed his eyes, the tried to wriggle out of the vines, trying to control his emotions. “Peck at the other eye. Try to take out its sight.”

Berin saw them through the vines. For some reason, their presence comforted him. They gave him sad looks.

He needed to wound this beast at the least.

5 minutes ago, SpiritOfWrath said:

Berin closed his eyes, the tried to wriggle out of the vines, trying to control his emotions. “Peck at the other eye. Try to take out its sight.”

Berin saw them through the vines. For some reason, their presence comforted him. They gave him sad looks.

He needed to wound this beast at the least.

If he's not from Lumar they'd probably be entirely unfamiliar to him. If you want more information on how aethers work, I'd recommend Tress of the Emerald Sea, if you haven't read it already. The beast is already pretty wounded, too.

Edited by BlueWildRye