Free States of the Crescent

Spark of Hope

@The Stormfather @Lotus Blossom @J. Magi @Scars of Hathsin @WhyEverNot_8 @The Bookwyrm

Meron sat on the couch, his sister's arm wrapped around him. She hadn't wanted to watch the Games. It brought back a lot of painful memories for her. He'd eventually convinced her to watch them with him, but she flinched a lot at some of the sights and sounds.

He hadn't been super keen on watching the Games when they were first announced either. For one thing, they'd have to watch on a pirated signal, though that wasn't the main thing. The Games had almost stole his sister's life the last time. But the people in that arena were his age. He felt like he had to watch it for their sakes.

When the cannon went off, Marewill stood and walked from the room. It reminded her of her own tribute kill of a boy named Kresh. She'd regretted it every day since.

So a few things for where this isn't-

This is right after - in my mind - when Tinker and Mare would have gotten engaged, so it's not their house, and Crocus wouldn't want the games in her house. I know Connor isn't living with the other tributes - at least he wasn't at the end of Cosmere, maybe he moved to Moongaze a few years later? Idk

1 minute ago, Spark of Hope said:

@The Stormfather @Lotus Blossom @J. Magi @Scars of Hathsin @WhyEverNot_8 @The Bookwyrm

Meron sat on the couch, his sister's arm wrapped around him. She hadn't wanted to watch the Games. It brought back a lot of painful memories for her. He'd eventually convinced her to watch them with him, but she flinched a lot at some of the sights and sounds.

He hadn't been super keen on watching the Games when they were first announced either. For one thing, they'd have to watch on a pirated signal, though that wasn't the main thing. The Games had almost stole his sister's life the last time. But the people in that arena were his age. He felt like he had to watch it for their sakes.

When the cannon went off, Marewill stood and walked from the room. It reminded her of her own tribute kill of a boy named Kresh. She'd regretted it every day since.

I think Mark and Astra would have probably not lived with the other tributes, but probably nearby.

Mark knocked on the door, impatient. "Is he still alive?" He asked, referring to Maj. He had coached him a bit before he had been sent into the games, but it had all been sudden. It was odd, being back with the tributes as well as his old gang, but he was fine with it. 

Adris stood far off in the background, angrily twirling a knife. "If I have to go through all the trouble again to get someone out, Mark, I swear to Ruin you owe me."

1 minute ago, The Stormfather said:

Mark knocked on the door, impatient. "Is he still alive?" He asked, referring to Maj. He had coached him a bit before he had been sent into the games, but it had all been sudden. It was odd, being back with the tributes as well as his old gang, but he was fine with it. 

Adris stood far off in the background, angrily twirling a knife. "If I have to go through all the trouble again to get someone out, Mark, I swear to Ruin you owe me."

I meant in the same town, but yeah

"Yeah, he is. He's alone, so... I think he's safe for now."

Just now, Spark of Hope said:

"Yeah, he is. He's alone, so... I think he's safe for now."

Mark sighed in relief. Then he lowered his voice to a whisper. "Adris is not handling having a second member of his crew sent to the games well. I'm worried that he... Might do something stupid."

Just now, The Stormfather said:

Mark sighed in relief. Then he lowered his voice to a whisper. "Adris is not handling having a second member of his crew sent to the games well. I'm worried that he... Might do something stupid."

Also was he outside or in the room

Meron looked down. He tried to get past Mark being with the group that had killed his father, but... well, it was hard ignoring it when he directly brought it up. 

Just now, Spark of Hope said:

Meron looked down. He tried to get past Mark being with the group that had killed his father, but... well, it was hard ignoring it when he directly brought it up. 

He was outside the door, I think?

"Sorry." Mark said. "I know that it's hard for you but... He's not a bad person. He just... Well, that job was one that we couldn't deny. It was our best shot to make it out of the dirt."

What did happen to his father? I kind of forget.

1 minute ago, The Stormfather said:

"Sorry." Mark said. "I know that it's hard for you but... He's not a bad person. He just... Well, that job was one that we couldn't deny. It was our best shot to make it out of the dirt."

He'd accumulated debts because he tried to make his family's life better, he got behind on paying them back. The gang beat him to death in front of Mare

"It's... You weren't one of the ones who did it. It's not personal."

Edited by Spark of Hope

1 minute ago, Spark of Hope said:

"It's... You weren't one of the ones who did it. It's not personal."

Ah, right. 

"Just...Don't blame him for the past."

Don't forget the past either! The voice of his spren sounded beside him and he spotted the telltale trail of vines on the wall of the house beside him.

Just now, The Stormfather said:

"Just...Don't blame him for the past."

Don't forget the past either! The voice of his spren sounded beside him and he spotted the telltale trail of vines on the wall of the house beside him.

"... You can come in, you know. I mean, it's not my house, but..."

6 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

"... You can come in, you know. I mean, it's not my house, but..."

"Oh, right. thank you." Mark steps in, his spren trailing behind him, curiously approaching some chairs. 

My friend had an epic garden of these things.

"You garden chairs?"

What else would we garden, plants? We are plants. That would be weird.

25 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

"Oh, right. thank you." Mark steps in, his spren trailing behind him, curiously approaching some chairs. 

My friend had an epic garden of these things.

"You garden chairs?"

What else would we garden, plants? We are plants. That would be weird.

Meron smirked. His sister semi glared at Mark, but didn’t reenter the room. 

2 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Rashi found her future daughter in law standing outside the watching room.

"Bad memories?" she asked.

@Spark of Hope

She sighed. “That’s an understatement, but… yes.”

16 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

She sighed. “That’s an understatement, but… yes.”

"I suppose it is, at that..."

Rashi sighed herself. "I try to comfort my son, but the truth is none of us know what it was like in there. Even Milay, who fought in the war, never had a moment where she was alone, where death was almost completely assured..."

1 minute ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"I suppose it is, at that..."

Rashi sighed herself. "I try to comfort my son, but the truth is none of us know what it was like in there. Even Milay, who fought in the war, never had a moment where she was alone, where death was almost completely assured..."

“That was part of it, definitely, but…” She sighed. “Knowing how those Games ended, how Kresh might’ve had a chance if I hadn’t…” She shook her head. “There were so many things to think about. My family were lucky. They were cared for. I’m sure others were worried out of their minds for their families. Then figuring out how you were going to survive… how to live with ourselves after what we did- what we chose to do…”

14 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

“That was part of it, definitely, but…” She sighed. “Knowing how those Games ended, how Kresh might’ve had a chance if I hadn’t…” She shook her head. “There were so many things to think about. My family were lucky. They were cared for. I’m sure others were worried out of their minds for their families. Then figuring out how you were going to survive… how to live with ourselves after what we did- what we chose to do…”

"You didn't... It wasn't a choice. Not like you think it was. They forced you to kill, to become some primal part of yourself. I know that more than anyone. He... I....Well, I tried to trick people, I tried to scam them, I even tried to exploit the innocence of a child. I'm not proud of it. But...Well, It wasn't really our fault. Sure, we could have done better. But when you go into those games, even if you make it out, you are never going to come out as the same person. We... We need to remember him, but the details we remember are for you to choose. You can remember killing him, as you should, but you can also remember what kind of man he was. What his principles were. His ideals."

His spren, climbing up the wall, nodded encouragingly.

Well, with these characters, we knew that the monologues were coming, right?

11 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

"You didn't... It wasn't a choice. Not like you think it was. They forced you to kill, to become some primal part of yourself. I know that more than anyone. He... I....Well, I tried to trick people, I tried to scam them, I even tried to exploit the innocence of a child. I'm not proud of it. But...Well, It wasn't really our fault. Sure, we could have done better. But when you go into those games, even if you make it out, you are never going to come out as the same person. We... We need to remember him, but the details we remember are for you to choose. You can remember killing him, as you should, but you can also remember what kind of man he was. What his principles were. His ideals."

His spren, climbing up the wall, nodded encouragingly.

“I didn’t know anything about him,” she said. Pointed. Annoyed. 

16 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

Rashi put a hand on her shoulder.

"What matters now is that you're the kind of person who will never do that again. And that you're in a place where you will never have to make that kind of choice again."

18 hours ago, Spark of Hope said:

I'm assuming that my GM has died of old age at this point?

So I won't have to be a part of this?

6 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Rashi put a hand on her shoulder.

"What matters now is that you're the kind of person who will never do that again. And that you're in a place where you will never have to make that kind of choice again."

She folded her hands, resting her elbows on the counter and her forehead on her hands. 

@The Bookwyrm

5 hours ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Sure, that’s fine 

... Didn't he have a granddaughter? Maybe she went to the free states

@Ancient Elantrian

Edited by Spark of Hope

46 minutes ago, Spark of Hope said:

She folded her hands, resting her elbows on the counter and her forehead on her hands. 

@Ancient Elantrian

Oooooh yes he did I forgot about that

Emma, now around 16, knocks on the door to *wherever you guys are*

2 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

Tinker's parents' house

Just now, Ancient Elantrian said:

Emma, now around 16, knocks on the door to *wherever you guys are*

Meron leaned forward. "Come in."

Eyyyyy, Meron's also sixteen now!