Bronies?

RawToast225

Why are there so many bronies that are also fans of Brandon Sanderson? Please explain.

No offense intended to anyone who is a brony. I just see a lot of them and I'm curious to find out why there is an overlap between the two fandoms.

Edited by Jabberwocky42

Short answer: Because Brandon Sanderson's books are awesome, far more so than they would seem at first glance, and so is Friendship is Magic. 

Long answer: Brandon Sanderson writes books set in vividly imagine worlds with highly visual magic systems and characters that feel like friends you might meet for coffee somewhere. Take Mistborn as an example. A post-apocalyptic fantasy world, where the Dark Lord has already won, no flowers have grown in a thousand years, and a thief is the best hope for humanity? That might seem like a recipe for depression, but Sanderson brings the thief to life as a deeply flawed, yet intensely likable man whose ambition can lead to both selfishness and selflessness. A magic system that requires the magic user to eat metal sounds lame, but Allomancy is one of the most sensible and fun magic systems I've read in a while. And Vin? Her paranoia, self-consciousness, and longing to trust struck a deep chord with me. 

Now let's look at FiM. On the surface, it sounds like something no one over the age of six would like: a colorful world ruled by two alicorn princesses, where a unicorn must make friends to save the world time and again? Yet the world is vividly realized. The magic system, though not thoroughly explained, functions on a clear set of internal guidelines: unicorns can use the most powerful reality-altering magic, which takes intense study to master; pegasi can manipulate the weather; and earth ponies can make things grow. Although Equestria does lack the political intrigue of, say, Game of Thrones, it does have its own history, mythology, and cultures, highly specific to each area. 

The best part is, however, the characters. Each of the Mane Six (as they are called by fans) is something of a stereotype, but they never feel that way. Twilight Sparkle is the smart girl with no time for friends, but she is also a good strategist, a skilled peacemaker, and lovably neurotic. Applejack is the country bumpkin, but she is also honest, hardworking, and hospitable. Rainbow Dash is the flashy athlete, but she is also loyal and outgoing. Pinkie Pie is the hilarious joke character, but she also has a need to be loved that tugs at the heartstrings. Fluttershy, the shy pegasus, has had the highest number of intensely emotional episodes of any character on that show. Rarity, the smart and beautiful unicorn, would be a villain on any other kid's show, but here she is a hero, and it works. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Brandon Sanderson's books and My Little Pony have many things in common, but they share one thing in particular: They take tired old tropes, dust them off, twist them around, and make them fresh and new, adding lovable characters and vivid worlds. And both are hard not to love. 

Also, Twi and Quiver took over the Social Groups sections with Pony memes and I believe that spread to the What Happened in Oregon role-play and........I'm actually not sure how many people are  (if you'll excuse my defining) "actual bronies" and how many are just kinda riding the wave.  Like, I would make a pony joke/post a pony meme but I've only ever seen one episode and that's a direct result of 17s, so I'm not a brony but could look like one, but maybe that's just me. And how many bronies here were bronies before coming to 17s?

I hope I'm making sense and not being offensive to anyone. If so, let me know and I'll edit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, is this a general popular Sanderfan/Brony crossover that's manifesting on 17th Shard, or is it a crossover specifically because of 17th Shard?

A well reasoned response as to why someone would enjoy Brandon's novels and the world of pastel ponies? Curse you Twilight Sparkle!

Oh fine. I admit; I play up the brony persona a tad, because I think the disconnect between stuff is funny. Back when I had my Oliver Queen avatar picture, I kept trying to work references to Arrow, Batman and the DC Universe as a whole into posts. Transferring that over to ponies is in much the same line, but... I find it kind of funnier. I mean, a social group for cartoon horses? Memes and references to them all the time? It's ridiculous!

...Which isn't to say I just play the Brony!Quiver character up for comedy, because I genuinely do enjoy the show. As a piece of shameless advertising, check my (signatured, soon-to-be-continued) analysis thread on the show; Friendship is Magic is a smart show, particularly given it's roots as a toy franchise and... well, as my little pony. 

I've always described myself as starting for the show, but staying for the fandom, because there is stuff about the brony fandom which is amazing. Not only have they produced a quantity of original work which borders on the absurd, there are a number of charity's which brony's have founded or actively contribute to.

...Though yes, there are a lot of unsavory elements to the fandom as well, with fans who are as obnoxious about the subject material as I pretend to be, or who promote misogynist or misandrist viewpoints. Every fandom attracts some people with that sort of view point (case in point, Hunger Games fans), though the size of the Brony community, how active it is, and the disconnect between the fans and the kiddy show makes the negative side a lot more obvious, and harder to ignore.

Anyway, Twilight mentioned the virtues of the show (even if she glossed over Rarity by refusing to acknowledge her as Best Pony), so I don't want to repeat that... but as for why I talk about it a lot on 17th Shard?

Firstly, because I think it's a show with an important message, and artistic worth. 

Second, because it strikes a cord with me. Like Twilight said, part of that is the characters, but it's more than that; the show really ignites a creative spark with it's viewers. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I've probably had more ideas for stories since watching the show than I did before- and yes, more than a few of them are a case of me wanting to write pony fan fiction.

Thirdly; I talk about it, and try to bring awareness of it because I didn't know about it. I didn't start watching the show until the break between seasons 3 and 4, and even then it was only in response to certain stories I heard about it. Like this one. And it really prompted me to re-evaluate judgement I make about stuff and to give the show a chance.

And finally... I talk about it here because you guys are some of the smartest people I know. Take a quick look over the forums, and the amount of theories and discussion you've done is amazing- and even better? It's respectful and even-headed. This is a show I like, and I want to talk about it on a forum I like.

(Though as always, if I go too far, or bug people with it... tell me. I don't want to upset anyone.)

Edited by Quiver

• 2 weeks later...

To piggy back on those two spectacular posts by Twilight and Quiver, I feel like 17S is rather like MLP: FiM in that people here are, as Quiver mentioned, smart, respectful and even-headed.  The show and the MLP fandom generally have a much friendlier tone to them than other shows and fandoms, and this forum and site do also.  I've been a part of another forum for a long time but never really post there because I know as soon as I type something, someone is going to post a biting, sarcastic and scathing comment, even if it's only because I used a verb incorrectly.  On this site, you just don't get that except on very rare occassion, and I mean very rare.

I love MLP  :wub:  I a slightly ashamed to say I avidly watch every new episode with my daughter and I get pissed in real life forces me to go do something else while it is playing :ph34r:Some episodes really made me laugh, like the one where Rarity dumps her Prince Charming :D

TBH I've actually never watched it though I keep intending to, I just have profile pictures of ponies because of a Roleplay in the forums that Twilyght started. (She's using her secret awesome wirting abilities to slowly convert the entire forum)  :ph34r:

TBH I've actually never watched it though I keep intending to, I just have profile pictures of ponies because of a Roleplay in the forums that Twilyght started. (She's using her secret awesome wirting abilities to slowly convert the entire forum)  :ph34r:

Rats. You figured out my whole scheme.  :ph34r:

(Aw, thanks.  ^_^ )

I've been a brony since 1984, but I'm not caught up on the most recent episodes.

I remember the old show... I recall trying to watch it but not being able to understand a word as it only played in English. Sight. Sometimes being French sucks :angry:

I had many ponies though and the big pink ponies' house...

Same here. I've made Ponies and Comics for them, and I've defended Bronies against my dad, and several other people who had never heard of Bronies, but I've never even seen a part of the show. 

Though I have never watched more than once I have often found myself defending peoples rights to like the show despite their age or gender. I find that the only reason people find Bronies weird is just because its a show marketed to young girls. in our society people are segregated by what they are told to buy, if there wasn't a bias of gender towards what people should and shouldn't buy. I'm not saying that this would be fixed by making advertising gender neutral but it would be better if we weren't taught from a very young age that boys where made boys by whether or not their parents brought them plastic tool sets and girls had the latest barbies!   

Edited by Surgebound Rainspren

Though I have never watched more than once I have often found myself defending peoples rights to like the show despite their age or gender. I find that the only reason people find Bronies weird is just because its a show marketed to young girls. in our society people are segregated by what they are told to buy, if there wasn't a bias of gender towards what people should and shouldn't buy. I'm not saying that this would be fixed by making advertising gender neutral but it would be batter if we weren't taught from a very young age that boys where made boys by whether or not their parents brought them plastic tool sets and girls had the latest barbies!   

This is why I love my dad, I'm quite sure he would have made me play with a barbie when I was younger just to show that you should play with what you find fun, not what everyone tells you you should find fun.

This is why I love my dad, I'm quite sure he would have made me play with a barbie when I was younger just to show that you should play with what you find fun, not what everyone tells you you should find fun.

Yeah being a triplet I grew up with two sisters of the same age. it would be lying to say that my childhood was occupied with both dolls and toy tools. This also led to some quite embarrassing photos of my modeling some dresses! 

Yeah being a triplet I grew up with two sisters of the same age. it would be lying to say that my childhood was occupied with both dolls and toy tools. This also led to some quite embarrassing photos of my modeling some dresses! 

Awesome. Makes me think of my daughter the other day who was brushing her brother's hair with her big pink sparkly brush.

"Look M, I am brushing your hair with my princess's brush. Sit quiet, you are going to be a pretty princess"...

I... remember seeing My Little Pony when I was a kid. Sort of. I think?

Honestly, it seems to be one of those tv shows which never catches on in the UK; I remember seeing G1 Transformers growing up, and a channel a few years ago kept showing re-runs, but I've never seen the old MLP shows get the same treatment.

(Of course, before FiM, I didn't care anyway, and if I watched them now, it would be out of some sort of a desire to say "I did it", and to mine those shows for fan fic canon. But I digress.)

I have to say, I do like the way that this conversation has sort of turned towards gender representation and stuff; after all, "Brony" sounds like a masculine term for fans of the show. That sort of brigns up all kinds of issues in itself, like whether or not men should be labelled differently from female fans, if female fans can be bronies (since I've seen the term pegasister applied to them) and so on.

I need o get my thoughts in order, I think, but the point is... I love this show.

(And I am so very, very tempted to buy a Doctor Whooves shirt because of it.)

Awesome. Makes me think of my daughter the other day who was brushing her brother's hair with her big pink sparkly brush.

"Look M, I am brushing your hair with my princess's brush. Sit quiet, you are going to be a pretty princess"...

Given that M is the usual code-name for the leader of MI6, I suddenly have a mental image of James Bond doing the above to Judi Dench.

Best mental image ever.

I definitely watched the show and the (supposedly terrible) movie on repeat as a kid.  (It's probably too nostalgic for me to dislike it even if I were to watch it now.)  I browsed through some website recently that had pictures and release dates of all the pony toys, and figured out which ones I had for the most part.  I also had the house, maxal, and the castle, the stable and the nursery. :ph34r:   I also used to pretend to be a sea pony with my friend when we swam in her pool.

Totally picked up a a Doctor Whooves figurine for my hubby's stocking this year!  He's the reason we got into the show.  He was first fascinated with bronies themselves, then the collectible card game (really fun), then the show.

• 10 months later...

I wouldn't call myself a brony, but I liked first 2 seasons of FiM a lot, visited Equestria Daily etc... But during season 3 I lost interest. Anyway, my explanation is that both worlds make you feel good, Sanderson in a different way (there might be sadness on the way), but in the end good always wins.

• Chaos locked this topic