RawToast225

In this thread, and many others I want to generate, I want to gather facts about Hoid. Everything at is known for sure about him. No speculation.

What are his likes and dislikes? What does he do for fun? What powers does he have FOR SURE? Extrapolate from the books. If it doesn't have a quote from Sanderson or one of his published books, it shouldn't be here.

(Quotes from Sanderson should be confirmable, meaning no personal interview quotes)

(No quotes from chapters that are not published)

(No quotes from the Letter as that IS only a theory)

Put where you got the quotes from and, if necessary, a link to the interview.

Have fun, keep opinions out.

Not that it really matters, but there are a ton of interviews and WOB that specify quite a bit of information about Hoid. You seem to have a lot of questions regarding a lot of things in the Cosmere, so I would recommend reading all the theoryland stuff from Sanderson that's cosmere related and also the compiled WOB as a start. It'll only help.

Feel free to start looking here:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27hoid%27

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7267-words-of-brandon-compiled-x-2/

Those would be the first of many sources I would look at if you want to really do this.

do we get a hoid cameo in SoD?

From reading the coppermind wiki, i found a bit of an inconsistency in hoids story.

The wiki says 

"Words of Radiance

Hoid again in this plays a minor role as Wit. For most of the book, they say he is away, which is presumed to be when he went to Scadrial during the mistborn series, but not for certain. "

this does not make much sense to me though because people say that "the element" is the lerasium bead, but hoid already has that in TWOK when he wrote the first letter.

Edited by Rubix
Don't double post. Edit your previous post instead.

From reading the coppermind wiki, i found a bit of an inconsistency in hoids story.

The wiki says 

"Words of Radiance

Hoid again in this plays a minor role as Wit. For most of the book, they say he is away, which is presumed to be when he went to Scadrial during the mistborn series, but not for certain. "

this does not make much sense to me though because people say that "the element" is the lerasium bead, but hoid already has that in TWOK when he wrote the first letter.

Hoid visits Scadrial during Alloy of Law times, which happen at around the same time as Way of Kings. He got the lerasium during the first trilogy.

Edited by Moogle

Hoid visits Scadrial during Alloy of Law times, which happen at around the same time as Way of Kings. He got the lerasium during the first trilogy.

ah my bad. That was what i originally thought. I misread the quote from the wiki. Doesnt he have black hair during the Alloy of law?

If it doesn't have a quote from Sanderson or one of his published books, it shouldn't be here.

(Quotes from Sanderson should be confirmable, meaning no personal interview quotes)

(No quotes from the Letter as that IS only a theory)

Well now, hold on. Where is the line drawn on whether or not a quote is valid? Does it have to have a link to something that Brandon himself has said online? Because there's not a whole lot of that. Does a quote from his personal assistant count? A link to the interview database? There are interviews that I've done for 17th Shard with Brandon that have been transcribed and put into the database, do those count?

Regarding the letter, and its status as a theory, as I said in the other thread:

[Y]ou may have read that Hoid has specific beef with Rayse.

Found here. I can't think of any other place in all of Brandon's works that were published at the time (March 14, 2013) where one could read that Hoid has a specific beef with Rayse, other than in the first letter.

You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin.

If you can find anything in Brandon's works before that date that contradicts that, something where ANYONE mentions a beef with Rayse, or Rayse at all for that matter, please let me know. Until then, the first letter should be considered to have been written by Hoid.

Are we counting unreleased content like liar of partinel? because if so 

hoid's real name is Midius.  He was raised by clansmen on the planet Yolen before the fain made non-city life impossible. He was a Jesker which is a lightweaving storyteller.

• Chaos locked this topic