• Adonalsium
    • The Survival Shard
    • Hoid
    • Domi
    • An Unknown Worldhopper
    • An Unknown Shard
    • A Splinter or Sliver of Adonalsium
    • Something we would never expect...

The God Beyond is an entity that is worshiped on multiple shardworlds.  Here is a coppermind page about it.  

In the spirit of covering my bases, here are some other things it could be:

The God Beyond is a planet.

The God Beyond is an entity in the cognitive realm, formed by the collective hopes of humanity across the cosmere.

The God Beyond is a character who is weak now, but later becomes powerful and travels back in time.

The God Beyond is the ugly lizard crab thing.  

The God Beyond is Brandon Sanderson himself.  

The God Beyond is Peter's sideburns.  

The God Beyond is Calamity. 

The God Beyond actually doesn't exist.  It's just a coincidence.  

The God Beyond is the physical embodiment of Kobold King's rep.

The God Beyond is a spaceship full of dragons.

The God Beyond is Bela.

Edited by Newan

• 4 weeks later...

My personal theory on the God Beyond is that it really is Brandon. I bet there's just going to be a few vague references here and there, but it won't really end up being anything plot related. It think the idea is that Shards, by some definitions, aren't technically gods. They didn't really create humans or the Cosmere, and I (personally) don't think Adonalsium did either. Since Brandon "created" the Cosmere, I think that would make him the God Beyond within the Cosmere.

Just my thoughts, no facts whatsoever, so don't use any of this in some sort of argument. It's just my personal theory.

Edit: Okay, technically, Ruin and Preservation did create humans on Scadrial, but my point about the creation of the Cosmere itself still stands.

Edited by sanderfan

My personal theory on the God Beyond is that it really is Brandon. I bet there's just going to be a few vague references here and there, but it won't really end up being anything plot related. It think the idea is that Shards, by some definitions, aren't technically gods. They didn't really create humans or the Cosmere, and I (personally) don't think Adonalsium did either. Since Brandon "created" the Cosmere, I think that would make him the God Beyond within the Cosmere.

Just my thoughts, no facts whatsoever, so don't use any of this in some sort of argument. It's just my personal theory.

Edit: Okay, technically, Ruin and Preservation did create humans on Scadrial, but my point about the creation of the Cosmere itself still stands.

I understand it is your personal theory, and I respect it, and I hope my reply is in no way received as critical. Personally I do not feel that is the case, because it would be too meta considering his body of work. Comicbooks did that, and it never did sit well with me. But that is wholly my own opinion. 

I'm with you on this man...it's probably not true...I just like it when authors go all "Never Ending Story" and make characters in the book aware of what is going on in the real world.  

While what I'm about to say is also probably not true...I'm just putting it out there.  Since Brandon is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints...maybe he's making some of his characters believe in the existence of God in our world.

by the way...sanderfan gets an up vote for thinking "meta"

Edited by hoidhunter

The idea that I'm currently working over is that the God Beyond is the cognitive shadow of somebody who held Adonalsium before it shattered.  Would a cognitive shadow influence events in minor ways, like 

(serious Shadows for Silence spoilers)

Helping Silence end up near silver

or possibly (big-time Elantris Spoilers)

Helping Raoden teleport

or (large Warbreaker spoilers)

Making sure Tonk Fah wears the same cloak Vivenna put Breath into

?

Edited by Newan

My personal thought is that the God Beyond is in some way related to whatever force opposed Adonalsium before the Shattering. Although many theorized that this force was a group of people (perhaps even those who took up the Shards) I've always thought that this didn't seem quite right.

Liar of Partinel Spoilers:

Based on what we've seen of Yolen, (for those of you who have read the Liar samples) I think it might also be related to the Fain-life that was slowly taking over.

The idea that I'm currently working over is that the God Beyond is the cognitive shadow of somebody who held Adonalsium before it shattered.  Would a cognitive shadow influence events in minor ways, like 

(serious Shadows for Silence spoilers)

Helping Silence end up near silver

or possibly (big-time Elantris Spoilers)

Helping Raoden teleport

or (large Warbreaker spoilers)

Making sure Tonk Fah wears the same cloak Vivenna put Breath into

?

I also like this idea...those Deus Ex Machina occurrences would bother me a little less if there was an actual explanation for why they happened.  

Newan gets an upvote...

I also like this idea...those Deus Ex Machina occurrences would bother me a little less if there was an actual explanation for why they happened.  

Newan gets an upvote...

Yeah I'm pretty confident that some kind of greater power was involved in at least two of those.  After Shadows for Silence talked so much about the God Beyond, I do think that he helped out.  For the Elantris one, in these annotations, Brandon heavily implicates that something is helping out.  I don't know whether it's the God Beyond, or some remnant of Aona.

zas678 copied down some things that Brandon said at a signing, and this one is relevant: 

Well, it depends on how long the Shardholders have held the Shard. After it dies, the shard is often able to continue acting, a kind of “cognitive shadow” of sorts. For example, the mists were able to continue doing what Preservation wished in helping out Vin and snapping people. With the Stormfather, he is that cognitive shadow, and he’s semi sentient. It’s that power, but no one is actually holding it. We also see this on Threnity.

He copied this down from memory, so I would take this information with a grain of salt.  However, this is pretty big.  It shows that cognitive shadows still have the ability to effect events.  I suspect that the voice Raoden heard in the pool was the voice of Aona's cognitive shadow and that she helped him teleport, but if that's true, it is definitely possible that a cognitive shadow helped Silence in her time of need.  

Edited by Newan

• 2 weeks later...

My theory is that the God Beyond is an entity or force in the Spiritual Realm, rather than in the Cognitive or Physical Realms.  The term "God Beyond" states that the God is distant, maybe from the entities in the Physical Realm.  This is backed up by the fact that while there are known ways to travel between the Physical and Cognitive Realms, there is no known way to reach the Spiritual Realm.  Another way that the term "God Beyond" could be interpreted is as being on the other side.  The Spiritual Realm could be where spirits go when they die, and the term the other side is used to mean wherever people go when they die.  The God Beyond might also have to do with the Spiritual side of Spren.

There are exceptions like on Nalthis, but my money is on a shard.

I thought the Idrians worshipped austre, who is basically endowment, the same way rosharans worship honor as the almighty.

Edit: I don't remember seeing confirmation for this, it just seemed to make sense.

Edited by Redbird3000

So, I actually have a different theory.  The Cosmere takes place within a contained galaxy/universe/what-have-you.  The God Beyond is the entity or entities that set about the creation of the Cosmere.  So, it could be a scientist (or, more likely, a whole team of them) playing with beakers and test tubes and all sorts of majiggery stuff.  Or maybe something more akin to the Shards that we've seen, in the ability to directly manipulate the energy of the universe on their own, and without needing tools or technology to do so.  

I think I'm explaining this poorly, but it's like those Russian dolls, where one fits inside of the other and each gets progressively smaller.  If you look at the smallest, then to them, the next larger doll that they fit inside would be "The God Beyond."  And maybe that happens all the way out.  Or another way to describe it would be that the God Beyond is an extra-universal being.  If that doesn't make sense, I may try to clean it up a bit later, but probably not.  Just remember, turtles all the way down!

So, I actually have a different theory.  The Cosmere takes place within a contained galaxy/universe/what-have-you.  The God Beyond is the entity or entities that set about the creation of the Cosmere.  So, it could be a scientist (or, more likely, a whole team of them) playing with beakers and test tubes and all sorts of majiggery stuff.  Or maybe something more akin to the Shards that we've seen, in the ability to directly manipulate the energy of the universe on their own, and without needing tools or technology to do so.  

I think I'm explaining this poorly, but it's like those Russian dolls, where one fits inside of the other and each gets progressively smaller.  If you look at the smallest, then to them, the next larger doll that they fit inside would be "The God Beyond."  And maybe that happens all the way out.  Or another way to describe it would be that the God Beyond is an extra-universal being.  If that doesn't make sense, I may try to clean it up a bit later, but probably not.  Just remember, turtles all the way down!

Upvote for the xkcd reference!

• 7 months later...