Hoid's goal is...

Lightflame

What if the original Adolnasium was a Powerful Shard, and Hoid was its Holder. He was present at its shattering. He is trying to reform it, and it makes sense that as the sliver of Adolnasium, it would leave an imprint on him. Adolnasium would have had all the abilities that the current Shards have. That explains how he has Feruchemy without being from Scadrial and Lightweaving without being from Roshar.

EDIT: I have seen theories of Lightweaving being from Roshar and Yolen, and am not sure which it is. So, he may have Lightweaving from being born on Yolen, or from Adolnasium. 

Edited by Cartith

I can say definitively (per Brandon) that in Alloy of Law, Hoid was there just to give his congratulations to his friends.

This may be rather off-topic, but I find it very interesting that Joshen Yomen and/or his new bride is/are friends with Hoid. 

If the epigraph letter was written to Harmony from Hoid, this would add greater significance to the Hoid-Yomen friendship since Marsh (ironeyes) has similar goals as Harmony but decidedly different methods (IIRC the end of AoL when Marsh is speaking to Marasi) and the writer of the letter has different methods but similar goals to the Seventeenth Shard and House Yomen is the only great house to worship Ironeyes (Marsh).

Although, Marsh says different methods than his Brother which suggests that either Kelsier is playing an active role in events on Scadrial or after hundereds of years, Marsh identifies with Harmony in a brotherly fashion.

If the epigraph letter was written to Harmony from Hoid, this would add greater significance to the Hoid-Yomen friendship since Marsh (ironeyes) has similar goals as Harmony but decidedly different methods (IIRC the end of AoL when Marsh is speaking to Marasi) and the writer of the letter has different methods but similar goals to the Seventeenth Shard and House Yomen is the only great house to worship Ironeyes (Marsh).

Epigraph letter is written to someone from a world we haven't seen.  It's not to harmony.

My current best guess is that it's to a dragon, because dragonsteel has dragons and he calls the guy a reptile.

This is my theory also. In fact I think one of the shardholders is (was) a dragon.

Edited by Galavantes?

Epigraph letter is written to someone from a world we haven't seen.  It's not to harmony.

Even though I am shown to be wrong about the letter, I still think it is very interesting that Hoid is "friends" with the Yomens.

• Chaos locked this topic