You guys mind if I write the occasional Mastermind post in L.A.? It'll really just be a mu-ha-ha-ha evil villain hideout location. Winter decided that she didn't want him.

I like that idea.

Lightsworn, I'm almost done with a Vondra post now. Could you hold off on a Panda scene until I post it? If you've already gotten one written, then don't worry, but I'd like to engage Panda in the air before he gets started on the next phase of the invasion.

Edited by Kobold King

Lightsworn, I could possibly write a vanilla guard character if you let me know the basics about what you want for cannon fodder in a PM.

Sure! I'm always welcome for cannon fodder!

I can agree with that to an extent, like not needing to figure out the exact genetic changes needed for pigs to grow wings but rather just thinking 'grow wings' but something like a virus is a bit different, symptoms of virus' are secondary effects of changes in the cell structure of the virus itself, I just don't find it likely that he could think 'turn into a zombie-virus' and his power would accurately change the structure of the virus in the thousand different ways necessary, it's just not specific enough. Now if he directly altered the people himself I can absolutely believe he could turn them into zombies, albeit of a non-infectious variety.

We havr rpics here that can change objects into buses at will. I think creating a zombie-virus wouldn't be that hard. Also, it's not the type that brings people back from the the dead. It's the sort that gives people an unsatisfiable hunger for flesh and blows away all consciousness, including the threshold for pain.

Pigs: acted on mental command, precise enough to fly in formation and head towards a specific location

Squirrels: raging

pandas: act like people but according to Reader´s reading completely mind raped

Other stuff: unknown

Well, he pulled almost the same reasoning on Sightline. He´s quite the admirable man.

You can put the the other animals as enraged.

Ouch. Getting shot by an entire helicopter's armaments must hurt. Pandas have feelings too, Kobold.

I should have a RP up, sometime before the next week (Yes, I know I take forever to write RP)  <_<

We havr rpics here that can change objects into buses at will. I think creating a zombie-virus wouldn't be that hard. Also, it's not the type that brings people back from the the dead. It's the sort that gives people an unsatisfiable hunger for flesh and blows away all consciousness, including the threshold for pain.

That is a very good point, but here's the thing: all Epics have limitations, and the Panda's bio is a little foggy on what his limits are. Controlling an animal's body or brain is one thing, but controlling organic molecules on a viral scale is quite another. It's as big a leap as if Steelheart could suddenly turn people to steel just by looking at them, or if Curveball could launch nuclear missiles out of handguns. When discussing the anatomy of an animal and the construction of a virus, we're talking about two very different scales of precision.

Is it possible? That's up for you and the GM to decide. But there are very good reasons for other members' surprise in this. What are the upper limits for Panda's organic control?

Ouch. Getting shot by an entire helicopter's armaments must hurt. Pandas have feelings too, Kobold.

I should have a RP up, sometime before the next week (Yes, I know I take forever to write RP)  <_<

Sir: you are no panda. :P

You're much quicker than I am, if it's any consolation. I look forward to seeing how the Panda survives and utterly curbstomps the helicopter. Getting beaten up is half the fun in this game. :P

The thing about viruses, though, is that they're a very specialized branch of medical knowledge. People spend their careers studying existing viruses just to learn how the flu might mutate this year; creating an entirely new virus would be a lifetime acheivement (albeit a dubious one) for many. If the Panda's motif was viruses and bacteria, it wouldn't be hard to swallow, but his thing so far has been cloning, which is itself a very specialized and speculative branch of medicine. That he has mastered both in the time he's been an Epic is a little farfetched to me.

Not only that, but getting an army of pandas to take over a city is a pretty remarkable acheivement on its own. It already presents endless opportunities for the Panda to show off his might, so why is the virus necessary?

The thing about viruses, though, is that they're a very specialized branch of medical knowledge. People spend their careers studying existing viruses just to learn how the flu might mutate this year; creating an entirely new virus would be a lifetime acheivement (albeit a dubious one) for many. If the Panda's motif was viruses and bacteria, it wouldn't be hard to swallow, but his thing so far has been cloning, which is itself a very specialized and speculative branch of medicine. That he has mastered both in the time he's been an Epic is a little farfetched to me.

Not only that, but getting an army of pandas to take over a city is a pretty remarkable acheivement on its own. It already presents endless opportunities for the Panda to show off his might, so why is the virus necessary?

That sums up my thoughts entirely. The virus is both a little farfetched and unnecessary. The Panda's a terrific antagonist already; does he really need another trick up his figurative sleeve? At a certain point we risk becoming unnecessarily convoluted, if we add layers upon layers of separate organic threats to The Dalles.

And I'll stress again that I love the Panda. I hope it doesn't sound like I don't, with all the nitpicking; I look forward to every post from you, Lightsworn. :)

Kobold: that was awesome :D

It beats pretty much everything I've written ;)

Thanks! :D I'll admit to have felt pretty awkward about that particular post, so it's good to hear someone liked it.

Don't devalue your own writing, though. You're a spectacularly, consistently great writer yourself. :)

That sums up my thoughts entirely. The virus is both a little farfetched and unnecessary. The Panda's a terrific antagonist already; does he really need another trick up his figurative sleeve? At a certain point we risk becoming unnecessarily convoluted, if we add layers upon layers of separate organic threats to The Dalles.

And I'll stress again that I love the Panda. I hope it doesn't sound like I don't, with all the nitpicking; I look forward to every post from you, Lightsworn. :)

Thanks! :D I'll admit to have felt pretty awkward about that particular post, so it's good to hear someone liked it.

Don't devalue your own writing, though. You're a spectacularly, consistently great writer yourself. :)

Why thank you :D. I am pretty good at writing...

1. Deranged, axe-crazy, sociopathic teleporters

2. Wine-addicted slontzes of the highest degree and

3. Constantly and consistently complaining grown men

...if I do say so myself ;).

It's true. When is learned you were still a teen, I was surprised. The quality of your character development and writing is far above what I've seen from a lot of teens.

It's true. When is learned you were still a teen, I was surprised.

I thought I was the only teen here who liked the RP stuff! mail-mi is two days older than me...

Well, my attempt at creating a complete monster ended up as a sad middle-aged man in a green bowler hat who spends most of his time ranting internally, so you're definitely better at writing villains than I am. :P

It's true. When is learned you were still a teen, I was surprised. The quality of your character development and writing is far above what I've seen from a lot of teens.

Yeah, most teens don't write half as well as you do. The 17th Shard has a lot of awesome teenage writers, and many of them are in this RP.

I'm pretty sure most Oregon RPers are in their teens or early twenties, actually.

Well, my attempt at creating a complete monster ended up as a sad middle-aged man in a green bowler hat who spends most of his time ranting internally, so you're definitely better at writing villains than I am. :P

Yeah, most teens don't write half as well as you do. The 17th Shard has a lot of awesome teenage writers, and many of them are in this RP.

I'm pretty sure most Oregon RPers are in their teens or early twenties, actually.

A sad middle aged man with no qualms against killing random bystanders to make himself feel better for not getting cooler powers. I'd say Lightwards is pretty bad. :mellow:

It's true. The sheer number of talented teenage writers in this RP makes me want to dig up everything I wrote before I turned twenty...and burn it in a bonfire over which many marshmallows shall be toasted. ;)

A sad middle aged man with no qualms against killing random bystanders to make himself feel better for not getting cooler powers. I'd say Lightwards is pretty bad. :mellow:

It's true. The sheer number of talented teenage writers in this RP makes me want to dig up everything I wrote before I turned twenty...and burn it in a bonfire over which many marshmallows shall be toasted. ;)

Oh, he's evil all right. But the standard for evil has been raised considerably since I joined. There are monsters like Timeport, Quota, and Electro running around now, and they make Lightwards look like a grouchy old man yelling for people to get off his lawn.

I also keep kicking myself for setting his zombie limit so low. Looking at the Panda and Ozymandias and all those Astoria characters, it's becoming increasingly clear that there's no way Lightwards could hold on to any sort of empire in Oregon. :mellow: But what's done is done, I suppose.

I get the feeling I'll feel the same way about my writing in a year or so. Half the stuff I've written in this RP already looks dumb and melodramatic to me. :mellow: On the bright side, your sage advice will prompt me to stock up on marshmallows. :P

Oh, he's evil all right. But the standard for evil has been raised considerably since I joined. There are monsters like Timeport, Quota, and Electro running around now, and they make Lightwards look like a grouchy old man yelling for people to get off his lawn.

I also keep kicking myself for setting his zombie limit so low. Looking at the Panda and Ozymandias and all those Astoria characters, it's becoming increasingly clear that there's no way Lightwards could hold on to any sort of empire in Oregon. :mellow: But what's done is done, I suppose.

I get the feeling I'll feel the same way about my writing in a year or so. Half the stuff I've written in this RP already looks dumb and melodramatic to me. :mellow: On the bright side, your sage advice will prompt me to stock up on marshmallows. :P

"You kids get off my lawn!" 

"I'm not on your lawn!" Funtimes touched the tip of her shoe to the border of the grass. "Now I am. No I'm not. Now I am. No I'm not." 

Lightwards hefted an AK-47 onto his shoulder. "Get off my lawn or I'll open fire!" 

"Yeah, good luck with that," Remington said through the speaker of his tank.

Funny, I have the opposite problem. I didn't mean to make Funtimes as powerful as I did….and you'd be surprised how much time I spend thinking of ways to nerf her. :mellow: I'm currently thinking she's only able to manipulate matter within a close range, and that the number of people she can take with her shrinks with the distance they travel. So evacuating all of Oregon to the Yukon Territory would be out of the question, as would turning an entire battlefield into tar. 

Why do you think I hate rereading my old posts? :P But yes, marshmallows are good. Buy the kosher ones. They don't have food coloring in them. (Which I only care about because I happen to be allergic to food coloring. Weird allergy, I know.) 

Thanks you guys :D :D

I thought I was the only teen here who liked the RP stuff! mail-mi is two days older than me...

Whoa! July 30th? 

"You kids get off my lawn!" 

"I'm not on your lawn!" Funtimes touched the tip of her shoe to the border of the grass. "Now I am. No I'm not. Now I am. No I'm not." 

Lightwards hefted an AK-47 onto his shoulder. "Get off my lawn or I'll open fire!" 

"Yeah, good luck with that," Remington said through the speaker of his tank.

Funny, I have the opposite problem. I didn't mean to make Funtimes as powerful as I did….and you'd be surprised how much time I spend thinking of ways to nerf her. :mellow: I'm currently thinking she's only able to manipulate matter within a close range, and that the number of people she can take with her shrinks with the distance they travel. So evacuating all of Oregon to the Yukon Territory would be out of the question, as would turning an entire battlefield into tar. 

Why do you think I hate rereading my old posts? :P But yes, marshmallows are good. Buy the kosher ones. They don't have food coloring in them. (Which I only care about because I happen to be allergic to food coloring. Weird allergy, I know.) 

I'd ask why Remington Springfield has a tank, but... he's Remington Springfield. B):P

I still don't think Doctor Funtimes is overpowered. She's definitely powerful, but not remotely gamebreakingly so. And it's not as if she were an Oregonian Steelheart, both completely invincible and set on world domination. She's a quirky, wacky character who's hard to take in a fair fight; there's really nothing wrong with that.

And as I've said before, practically anyone at the Sadry meeting right now could assassinate her in a heartbeat. Even Lightwards, if I allowed him he thought of it. She has no prime invincibility, she's very easily distracted, and she has a tendency to annoy powerful Epics. That makes her more than a little vulnerable.  :ph34r:

I'm allergic to gluten, and several of my close family members have recently been discovered to be lactose intolerant. There are definitely worse allergies to have.

My age varies between 5 and 85 most of the time :P But technically I'm 22.

Sorry to keep harping on about it, I'm just a very nitpicky person when it comes to certain things, particularly since I'm a bio student.

The differences are that firstly Busdrivers entire power is turning things into busses, Pandas power is biological alteration, while I can see how is power would filter his intent into its creation I really only think that works on the organism he's altering, he shouldn't be able to for example think to a panda Become something capable of beating Steelheart and then that Panda loses all its capacity for fear. It should filter to the organism he's altering, not be able to change it in such a way that it changes other things.

Secondly a bus is infinitely less complex than even the simplest living organisms.

I guess I just feel that it's taking the Pandas abilities a step further than they were described and that it's actually insanely OP if you think about it, an Epic with the power to manufacture diseases would unquestionably be one of the most powerful Epics in the world, he could level cities even faster than Obliteration, give immunity to himself and his own army and just watch the world slowly destroy itself and that's without adding any mind-altering effects like a zombie virus.

Which is it's own point, although I love the zombie apocalypse as a genre, realistically a zombie outbreak is near impossible to reach apocalyptic levels, it could infect maybe 10 people before they'd all be killed. Particularly in a city already as militarized as the Dalles.

Again I really love the Panda and I like him as a character, I just think he doesn't need things like zombie virus' or giant pandas to stay a viable enemy. I'd really like to see a clever scientist really interested in preserving his army, maybe recalling all his Pandas once they started being defeated, analyzing all the powers they've been up against and altering them to specifically counter certain Epics.

I'd ask why Remington Springfield has a tank, but... he's Remington Springfield. B):P

I still don't think Doctor Funtimes is overpowered. She's definitely powerful, but not remotely gamebreakingly so. And it's not as if she were an Oregonian Steelheart, both completely invincible and set on world domination. She's a quirky, wacky character who's hard to take in a fair fight; there's really nothing wrong with that.

And as I've said before, practically anyone at the Sadry meeting right now could assassinate her in a heartbeat. Even Lightwards, if I allowed him he thought of it. She has no prime invincibility, she's very easily distracted, and she has a tendency to annoy powerful Epics. That makes her more than a little vulnerable.  :ph34r:

I'm allergic to gluten, and several of my close family members have recently been discovered to be lactose intolerant. There are definitely worse allergies to have.

He's also in a tank, so no funny business. :P

All of this is true. Well, the "easily distracted" part is only true when she's not angry about anything at the moment. :ph34r: Still, I worry sometimes. It's what I do. :P I know she's a heavy hitter, but I don't want her to be wipe-out-all-invading-armies-with-a-single-dance-move powerful. 

Yikes. That must suck. Yeah, I'm okay as long as I stick to homemade or something with "all-natural" on the label. 

My age varies between 5 and 85 most of the time :P But technically I'm 22.

Sorry to keep harping on about it, I'm just a very nitpicky person when it comes to certain things, particularly since I'm a bio student.

The differences are that firstly Busdrivers entire power is turning things into busses, Pandas power is biological alteration, while I can see how is power would filter his intent into its creation I really only think that works on the organism he's altering, he shouldn't be able to for example think to a panda Become something capable of beating Steelheart and then that Panda loses all its capacity for fear. It should filter to the organism he's altering, not be able to change it in such a way that it changes other things.

Secondly a bus is infinitely less complex than even the simplest living organisms.

I guess I just feel that it's taking the Pandas abilities a step further than they were described and that it's actually insanely OP if you think about it, an Epic with the power to manufacture diseases would unquestionably be one of the most powerful Epics in the world, he could level cities even faster than Obliteration, give immunity to himself and his own army and just watch the world slowly destroy itself and that's without adding any mind-altering effects like a zombie virus.

Which is it's own point, although I love the zombie apocalypse as a genre, realistically a zombie outbreak is near impossible to reach apocalyptic levels, it could infect maybe 10 people before they'd all be killed. Particularly in a city already as militarized as the Dalles.

Again I really love the Panda and I like him as a character, I just think he doesn't need things like zombie virus' or giant pandas to stay a viable enemy. I'd really like to see a clever scientist really interested in preserving his army, maybe recalling all his Pandas once they started being defeated, analyzing all the powers they've been up against and altering them to specifically counter certain Epics.

22? Wow, now I feel like an old fart. :P 

And adding onto what Voidus said: The Panda can transform living beings into pandas in a very short period of time, without requiring skin contact or their consent. That's more powerful even than Slaughterhouse, one of Kobold's backstory Epics who needs to touch his victims to transform them. Even without the ability to give himself wings, or create flying pigs and killer squirrels, the Panda could simply walk down the street, transforming passersby left and right, and by the time they opened fire on him, he could just order the soldiers' former loved ones to go on a suicide run and end the attack before it began. If he now has the ability to create a new and terrifying virus, what's stopping him from heading over to Newcago and threatening to murder every one of Steelheart's subjects if his demands aren't met? What's to stop him from doing the same thing in city after city until the Fractured States become Pandatopia? 

I love the Panda as a character. He's wild and wacky, and his devotion to the Radiant Panda—gah, you have no idea how much I laughed at "NOW GO AND BRING FORTH THE GLORIOUS PANDA REVOLUTION!" I just worry that the lack of an upper limit will stretch credulity. 

He's also in a tank, so no funny business. :P

All of this is true. Well, the "easily distracted" part is only true when she's not angry about anything at the moment. :ph34r: Still, I worry sometimes. It's what I do. :P I know she's a heavy hitter, but I don't want her to be wipe-out-all-invading-armies-with-a-single-dance-move powerful. 

Yikes. That must suck. Yeah, I'm okay as long as I stick to homemade or something with "all-natural" on the label. 

22? Wow, now I feel like an old fart. :P

I don't know if I'd mind if my character's army got wiped out by Funtimes' dancing. The RP's meta goal is entertainment, and I don't think you can get more entertaining than Funtimes defending her own through the Power of Dance. :P

I haven't had gluten in so long that I don't even think of it. Going without milk is still new and annoying for me, but I'll get over it.

I mean, I've eaten grasshoppers I've found in my garden before. It's not like I'm going to starve. :P

25 isn't that old at all. You're still young, hip, and groovy. In that order.

I'd add more to the Panda discussion, but you and Voidus have pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter.

I don't know if I'd mind if my character's army got wiped out by Funtimes' dancing. The RP's meta goal is entertainment, and I don't think you can get more entertaining than Funtimes defending her own through the Power of Dance. :P

I haven't had gluten in so long that I don't even think of it. Going without milk is still new and annoying for me, but I'll get over it.

I mean, I've eaten grasshoppers I've found in my garden before. It's not like I'm going to starve. :P

I'd add more to the Panda discussion, but you and Voidus have pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter.

I'm picturing Nathan, restrained by zombies on all sides, shouting to the heavens: "DOCTOR! DO WHAT YOU WERE BORN TO DO! DANCE!!!!"

...it's pretty entertaining. :D

Yeah, it was that way when I had to stop eating Skittles. But I found better organic alternatives, so it's all good.

....dare I ask? :P

Thanks. :) It's just weird, going from being the youngest in most RPs to being maybe the oldest.

I'm picturing Nathan, restrained by zombies on all sides, shouting to the heavens: "DOCTOR! DO WHAT YOU WERE BORN TO DO! DANCE!!!!"

...it's pretty entertaining. :D

Yeah, it was that way when I had to stop eating Skittles. But I found better organic alternatives, so it's all good.

....dare I ask? :P

Thanks. :) It's just weird, going from being the youngest in most RPs to being maybe the oldest.

I'm game for canonizing that if you are. :P

Grasshoppers. Fried in butter with assorted vegetables. Lightly salted. Surprisingly good; honestly, grasshoppers don't seem to have a taste of their own. They seem to take on the flavor of whatever they're cooked with, so I've been meaning to fry some with bacon.

No problem. Its just part of growing up, I suppose. Personally I look forward to the day when I can justifiably call most of the people around me "youngsters." :P

No problem. Its just part of growing up, I suppose. Personally I look forward to the day when I can justifiably call most of the people around me "youngsters." :P

<Already does this to people several years older :P

I'm game for canonizing that if you are. :P

Grasshoppers. Fried in butter with assorted vegetables. Lightly salted. Surprisingly good; honestly, grasshoppers don't seem to have a taste of their own. They seem to take on the flavor of whatever they're cooked with, so I've been meaning to fry some with bacon.

I have a few songs in mind already. :P 

…you know, grasshoppers are a somewhat popular snack item here in Arizona, but I've never tried them. Partly because all the prepared grasshoppers I've come across have had varying types of food coloring and/or flavors in their seasonings. <_< (It's kind of amazing what companies will put food coloring into. Some pizza chains even put Blue 1 into their dough. Apparently, just a tiny bit makes it look whiter?) 

But yeah, sometimes I think it's an evil Liebrarian conspiracy to keep me from trying tasty things. :P

<Already does this to people several years older :P

I'd consider doing that….but considering I go to a church where my parents are the "cute young couple with the kids," it probably wouldn't work. <_<

Yeah...25 isn't old. I'm 25, and I'm not old. (I meant it when I said that I'd been working on Edassa for a decade - it's actually more than that now)

And on the subject of burning all of my teenage writing - well, all of my fiction from before 20 or so is never going to see the light of day, but some of my writing assignments for high school English classes weren't half bad. And my Honors Thesis on string theory that I wrote for my Associate's Degree is something I don't cringe to read through again (I cringe leading up to it, then read it, then think - that really wasn't all that bad. It even had a few really good points.) But all of the fiction can join yours on the bonfire.

Ooh!!! We should all have a teenage fiction bonfire burning party!

EDIT: And my wife has celiac disease, so we eat gluten free (except for when I can get my hands on some Chex mix...)

Edited by Seonid