Who is Taln?

Bort

It is indeed basically confirmed unless you can explain why Nalan was Surgebinding if he doesn't have one. WoB:

Lift sees him take in Stormlight, a power we're familiar with, so he must therefore have an Honorblade.

Then why wouldn't Brandon confirm Nale has his Blade since we know he's awesome? May be he was awesome for another reason. I'm not going to say he could be someone's squire, but there could be another reason for what Lift thought she was. Nale running too quickly hardly supports the theory since Taln caught the dart without inhaling stormlight.

So we know Nale has one, Kaladin has another, the Shin have six (or seven), "Taln" had one, and one is still missing.

Any ideas, Moogle? Or Windrunner?

And one is with the Herald who went back to get it.

Edited by Aleksiel

Then why wouldn't Brandon confirm Nale has his Blade since we know he's awesome? May be he was awesome for another reason. I'm not going to say he could be someone's squire, but there could be another reason for what Lift thought she was. Nale running too quickly hardly supports the theory since Taln caught the dart without inhaling stormlight.

Nalan is glowing to Lift's eyes, so...

Yeah, he could be a squire, but I don't think it's likely. In fact, that would be sort of near-impossible since Nalan is about killing Surgebinders. I'm not saying it's confirmed Nalan took back his Blade, just that it's nearly so.

That could have been Nale, though

Could be, the Occam's razor points toward him. Just because I present some counter points doesn't mean I deny the possibility. An interesting discussion needs diversity and a theory that can't disprove counter arguments is no good. 

Nalan is glowing to Lift's eyes, so...

Yeah, he could be a squire, but I don't think it's likely. In fact, that would be sort of near-impossible since Nalan is about killing Surgebinders. I'm not saying it's confirmed Nalan took back his Blade, just that it's nearly so.

I also doubt he's a squire, just mentioned it as a one kind of glowing non-Radiants.  And, to get too technical, Lift says she 'could swears he glowed', which isn't the same. Nale is the likeliest candidate for the Herald, who went back, I wanted to be clear on the 'it's not canon yet' part.

Do you have any ideas as to who the missing Honorblade is with? (If indeed the Shin do only have six)

"Taln" is the only option that comes to mind. The person who stole it would have to know the Shin have them (Diagramists + Nale the only people so far we know of who know), which limits the options severely. On the whole, I think Taravangian was lying.

Thanks... but what problem with timing do you see?

I think Taln might have been back for some time. I suspect that it's his return that prompted various things 6-7 years ago - Szeth's observations that lead to him becoming Truthless, Jasnah and Shallan's spren bonding and probably the Stormfather sending visions to people including Galivar. We certainly don't know all the mechanics of how Heralds leave/return to Roshar though - if he returned shortly before we see him turn up at the end of tWoK then somehow his return was predicted many years in advance. Seems simpler if he actually did return 6-7 years ago and everything since then has been a slow response to that.

oh, i guess i'm taking it for granted that the person Hoid meets at the end of WoK is Taln, and that maybe the person Dalinar and Shallan sees might not be the same person. If he came back 6 years ago then timing wouldnt be an issue.

oh, i guess i'm taking it for granted that the person Hoid meets at the end of WoK is Taln, and that maybe the person Dalinar and Shallan sees might not be the same person. If he came back 6 years ago then timing wouldnt be an issue.

It's the same person by WoB:

Question

The person who arrived at the gates of Kholinar, the one you refuse to acknowledge as Talenel - is that person the same as the one delivered to the warcamps?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

(source)

• 2 weeks later...

If it isn't Taln, and is a Herald... Well we know it isn't Nalan or Kalak. Jezrien seems unlikely, give that he's supposed to be a "drooling drunk". That leaves Ishar. What do we know about Ishar, and his attibutes, that would suggest he might try to take the place of Taln?

Edit: Given that the madness of each herald seems to be related to/a warping of their divine attributes.

Edited by CabbageHead

I swear we've already seen Kalak at the party. He seemed fine then.

It could have been him, although we can only guess, but whoever he was, he seemed paranoid. There's over 5 years between the party and the end of WoK, anything could have happened. Who knows what 'the Gift' is, a curse/boon from the Nightwatcher, something else? I think it's too soon to write off Kalak. Although I don't believe it's another Herald in Taln's place.

Could be, the Occam's razor points toward him. Just because I present some counter points doesn't mean I deny the possibility. An interesting discussion needs diversity and a theory that can't disprove counter arguments is no good. 

I also doubt he's a squire, just mentioned it as a one kind of glowing non-Radiants.  And, to get too technical, Lift says she 'could swears he glowed', which isn't the same. Nale is the likeliest candidate for the Herald, who went back, I wanted to be clear on the 'it's not canon yet' part.

He gets to Seth awfully quickly, when he "dies".  I think it likely that he has his blade, was monitoring from nearby, and flew there (since that should be one of the abilities of the skybreakers).  

He gets to Seth awfully quickly, when he "dies".  I think it likely that he has his blade, was monitoring from nearby, and flew there (since that should be one of the abilities of the skybreakers).  

There are probably fabrials for every surge and I bet Nale made sure to obtain them.

Pretty sure Nale has a blade. Using the Law of Detachment:

Nale can only draw in Stormlight if he has an Honorblade

He may be able to do that due to being a Herald.

Zahel appears to be able to infuse stormlight without having an Honorblade or a Nahel spren.

We have WoB that the Heralds can only draw on Stormlight if they have their Honourblades.

You know who Zahel really is though, right? That is why he can use Stormlight without Spren or Blade.

We have WoB that the Heralds can only draw on Stormlight if they have their Honourblades.

You know who Zahel really is though, right? That is why he can use Stormlight without Spren or Blade.

Knowing he can do so kind of requires knowing who he is in the first place...

Absorbing his native type of investiture though, is something pretty much anyone can do where he comes from, so I would think there is a trick involved using his more unique attributes or some inherent part of investiture's nature, as stormlight just doesn't function that way.

Is it possible that person, who was tortured by the Odium for the last 4,500 years wasn't Taln? We don't know the exact mechanic of how Desolations-Heralds work, so maybe it's possible for a person to take Herald's place, if he/she takes up Honorblade. The real Taln made a deal with Odium and arranged for somebody, probably a Knight Radiant, to don his armor and take his Honorblade (under some convincing excuse). So what other Heralds saw was somebody looking like Taln, wielding Taln's Honorblade and they assumed it was Taln. In the proceeding 4,500 Odium systematically broke that person's mind, so all there is now are the repeating words of something Taln would be saying. The intent was probably to make people think it was Taln to deceive other Heralds. Of course it hinges on them not meeting him in person - but since they believe they've betrayed him, it's possible they would avoid facing him. 

I know it's a very far-fetched explanation and I think ''Taln'' interaction with Shallan is strongest evidence against this, as he grows lucid and recognizes her as ''one of Ishar's Knights''.