Gavilar's Dark-Glowing Sphere

DariusJenai

I was under the idea that Midnight Essence were the creatures that were black and ferocious that Gavilar fought off.

I considered that as well.  The description is way too close to the creatures Kalak names Thunderclasts to be a coincidence, though.  Also there's the fact that the Radiant says she doesn't know who released it, not them.  Since they've already fought more than one, it seems more likely that the Essence is something separate from the creatures themselves.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea that the sphere is why Gavilar was killed, but I don't think I agree that Gavilar could summon Thunderclasts to aid him in the final desolation.  Since Thunderclasts are, presumably, creatures of Odium, I find it hard to believe that they would be of any help while fighting Odium.  Instead, I would expect things to go down more like they did with the Kolos in HoA if someone tried.

This is quite aside from the fact that I think that it's a bit of a stretch to assume that it can be used to summon thunderclasts.  Though I would be interested (scared, but interested) to see someone try and use it to soulcast...

I was under the idea that Midnight Essence were the creatures that were black and ferocious that Gavilar fought off.

I considered that as well.  The description is way too close to the creatures Kalak names Thunderclasts to be a coincidence, though.  Also there's the fact that the Radiant says she doesn't know who released it, not them.  Since they've already fought more than one, it seems more likely that the Essence is something separate from the creatures themselves.

Um, could you list the similarities in the descriptions?  I was under the impression that they were very, very different.  Weren't Midnight Essences the black, formless things that Dalinar fought?

I figured that meant that they were all pieces of a larger whole.  A Whole that manifests as several black six-legged beasties.

I figured it held voidlight, or whatever the voidish equivilant of stormlight is, for use in voidbinding. But then again, I have absolutely no basis for this at all. Just a feeling I had. We do know however, that all magic systems have to have some kind of energy source and we also know that there will be approximately 30 magic systems in the SA. So, i figure, if there are 10 for the different orders of Knights Radiant, odds are good that Odiums crew will also have 10.

• 6 years later...

I know they essences are different, but the sphere Gavilar give Szeth (dark) is similar in nature to the Aeon Hood has at the very end of Elantris. Quotes:

Gavilar's Sphere: "....though it was completely dark, it seemed to glow somehow. With a light that was black"

Hoid's Aeon: "he turned to regard his companion: a hovering dark sphere, about the size of a melon. It somehow sucked in the ligh and didn't have distinct edges Hood could make out--- it just kind of blended out into the air, warping everything around it like a stone dropped into a sheet of silk stretched tight"

could be totally unrelated, just an idea

• Chaos locked this topic