Calling all Hazekillers!

hoidhunter

I'm....thinking that i don't ever want to make you angry, hoidhunter.  :)

I've thought for a while that a good nonlethal way to take out a Coinshot (or most other Allomancers, for that matter) would be an aluminum shotgun loaded with rock salt.  I believe the phrase, "Ow, ow, owow, ow OW," comes to mind.

I'm....thinking that i don't ever want to make you angry, hoidhunter.  :)

I've thought for a while that a good nonlethal way to take out a Coinshot (or most other Allomancers, for that matter) would be an aluminum shotgun loaded with rock salt.  I believe the phrase, "Ow, ow, owow, ow OW," comes to mind.

have an upvote as an apology for me maybe being a little creepy...I assure you I am a very safe person to be around...

On the note of rocksalt shutgun load...go to youtube and look up a shotgun shell called "Dragon's Breath"...Ow, ow, ow, ow...I didn't include it in my list because it's a little high tech for AoL era...

@Kaymyth Speaking from experience you never want a round of rocksalt shot at you. It really hurts.

Well, that clinches it.  This is definitely happening to one of the bad guys in the story I'm writing.  Heheh.

have an upvote as an apology for me maybe being a little creepy...I assure you I am a very safe person to be around...

On the note of rocksalt shutgun load...go to youtube and look up a shotgun shell called "Dragon's Breath"...Ow, ow, ow, ow...I didn't include it in my list because it's a little high tech for AoL era...

I was mostly teasing.  Mostly.  ;)

Eesh, dragonsbreath rounds.  It's a whole new meaning to "kill it with fire".  That is a fate that only a spider deserves.

To be fair, most (all?) of the Hazekillers butchered in the trilogy have fallen to Kelsier and Vin, two exceptionally talented and badass mistborn. Mistborn have their reputation as one-(wo)man-armies, so even with all the proper training you're really just pushing your luck. The sheer combat potential of all these abilities being present in one person is just too high even without taking into account that they're one of the two types of allomancers that can burn atium.

Against a misting a hazekiller will probably wreck face. I really want a hazekiller series now, after Firefight. The potential of anti-allomancer experts goes up the more technology develops on Scadrial, so it'll only get better and better as the centuries go by until we get one.

Edited by natc

Hoidhunter (or should I say headhunter), you need to start a guild. Seriously.

while I've been on the forum for a while...I'm not entirely sure what that entails...do I just make a post saying "who wants to be a hazekiller?"

Well if you've got time to prepare the battlefield ahead of time rather than caltrops I'd go with some taught steel wire place at knee height around the place. If they're quick enough not to run into it then you've stopped them potentially long enough to get off a shot, if they're not quick enough they'd slice their own legs off due to the speed they're travelling.
Otherwise the good ole pitfall trap of Pokemon fame would always be a favourite of mine :P

Bloodmakers are a problem, particularly Compounders but then I don't think Hazekillers would fare particularly well against a lot of different types of Compounders. For the regular variety just causing enough damage would do the trick, which wouldn't be too difficult as long as they're not a twinborn. Machine gun fire, grenades, a harpoon gun would probably work pretty well too. Other than that plenty of weapons designed for trapping rather than killing should work, Bolas for example.

Well if you've got time to prepare the battlefield ahead of time rather than caltrops I'd go with some taught steel wire place at knee height around the place. If they're quick enough not to run into it then you've stopped them potentially long enough to get off a shot, if they're not quick enough they'd slice their own legs off due to the speed they're travelling.

Otherwise the good ole pitfall trap of Pokemon fame would always be a favourite of mine :P

Bloodmakers are a problem, particularly Compounders but then I don't think Hazekillers would fare particularly well against a lot of different types of Compounders. For the regular variety just causing enough damage would do the trick, which wouldn't be too difficult as long as they're not a twinborn. Machine gun fire, grenades, a harpoon gun would probably work pretty well too. Other than that plenty of weapons designed for trapping rather than killing should work, Bolas for example.

If I were going up against miles...and only miles...prepared...I would go with my acidic antibloodmaker rounds (aim for the stomach)...a katana (separate a limb and he can grow it back...but not the goldminds)...bolas (I like the way you think)...but I'd use ones with barbed cords...attack dog (sorry spike)...and a crossbow with bolts that ARE slender sticks of dynamite (he can handle blowing up on the outside...but how about the inside?)...then...try not to get shot...and try to remove his head.

I think that electricity has a fantastically interesting set of uses as a hazekiller weapon, especially in traps. Electricity can do almost unlimited damage just by cranking it up. As a bonus, it also tends to immobilize. Tazers are probably too much for AoL era tech, which is why I think this is better suited for traps. To be honest, I'm going to be very surprised if they don't use electricity to great effect in the rest of the Wax and Wayne series.

I'm totally up for being a Hazekiller, by the way! I love it! Although, personally, I think I'd be one who specialized in being a sidekick for a solid metalborn. A deputy or something.

If I lived in the AoL world, I would work in ceramics. Yeah, metallurgy seems like the go-to profession, but I'd focus on pottery. So many useful weapon and armor applications. I'd have a complicated set of ceramic armor, ceramic "grenades" filled with everything from acid to metal dust to gas to explosives. Ceramic guns, ceramic bullets, etc., of course, but more so ceramic blade or projectile weapons meant to fragment inside of the target. It's hard to heal when you're full of splinters. 

Also, I think I'd specialize in traps. 

The main character of the modern trilogy is supposed to be a nicrosil misting, much more of a supporting role, will probably be kind of like a hazekiller when he/she's not doing their stuff.

I've got to agree with Thebeard, electricity could definitely work, especially for gold compounders. Imagine if you landed a hit on one of their metal minds.

Another effective tool could be tranquilizer. Both gas and darts. Once target is neutralized, you can safely execute or interrogate them.

Takin' it back, slings and slingshots could be quite effective as they require no metal and can use stones or specialized pellets for ammo.

Using their own weapons as inspiration, glass can be effective in multiple forms, as edged weapons or projectiles. This would work well with the slingshot idea. Lassos could potentially be effective, if used in tandem with other equipment. The same goes for bullwhips, though they require more skill.

Of course, the best way to make Hazekillers effective would be through the Science of Hemalurgy.

Turn your targets into power-ups.

A few other potential options, depending on your Cosmere knowledge and available materials:

Hemalurgy rounds. Just normal armor-piercing rounds (because you care about penetration, not direct damage), but you Intend to spike your target. Kills unsuspecting Bloodmakers with ease, and removes most of the threat from Pewterarms. Could work for Lurchers, depending on the strength of their shields. Won't work on Coinshots.

For Coinshots: I second the suggestions of rock salt and slings above. Molotov cocktails or explosives are also good as long as they're not too far away. If you must use a gun... coat your bullets in aluminum or something, I don't know.

Steel and bendalloy compounders are tricky. Wide-range stuff is good, yes, but even that isn't guaranteed. A machine gun could work. Fill the room with enough lead and they won't be able to dodge. The downside is that you'd better not be somewhere where ricochets would work.

Finally, if you have time to prepare the location beforehand, just fill it with high explosives attached to a remote detonator and then get the hell out. It'll kill nearly anything, if you use enough of them.

I also think that going all indiana jones and rocking out the bull whip could work pretty well.  Lightening fast...extended range...no metal.  They are far from lethal...but start with a whiplash to the face...end with a wooden club to the head... 

By the way Voidus...It was rude of me not to acknowledge your good ideas...have an upvote...  I think in general...preparation and cunning would be a hazekillers deadliest weapons.  You don't have to be stronger faster or smarter than the metalborn you're going up against...you just have to be dirtier...