What do you think is meant by...

snote

“Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling.”.

I thought it was a way of poking at the idea that he is said to be the Stormfather. That the "Drooling" was the storm's rain. I don't know though. It could mean that he is in a corner somewhere catatonic. Maybe even in the same place as Taln was. Anyone have any other ideas. If it wasn't coming from one of the Heralds I don't think it would be worth looking into it.

Why would you think it has anything to do with the Stormfather? Folklore may associate Jezrien with the Stormfather, but surely Nale knows better.

I also think he meant either Gawx or Jezrien. However, 'may he leads in wisdom' fits better for the newly elected Prime, so the next part is more likely to be about him as well.

"Congratulations Azir, you just put an idiot in charge."

Yup, pretty sure this is at least 2/3 what Naln meant.

In the paragraph, it is clear that the new Prime, Gawx, is the reason or cause for praise.  The viziers use "Praise to Yaezir, Kadasix of Kings, may he lead in wisdom," only shortly before.  Darkness, who we suspect is Naln, is clearly following their format as part of his disguise of being a constable of Azir. 

Although, there is a secondary interpretation that is equally valid because of the break after saying "Praise Yaezir."  It is possible for the "Herald of Kings" to be seen as the new subject, and the implication that this Herald of Kings may be able to lead in wisdom if he stops drooling (where drooling here still implies an infirmity of the mind, which makes the whole wisdom thing doubtful.)

All in all, since Sanderson is more than capable of saying two things with one sentence, I'd think that Darkness was referring to both--Azir making an idiot their ruler, and a wish for Jezrien to be as he once was.

Jezrien is considered by some to be the drunkard/madman that Szeth sees in the prologue. "Drooling" probably refers to that.

Eh, I'll endorse it.  And I'll change my profile picture and tagline in order to mega-endorse it!

Edit: Also, "drool" is derived from "drivel".  "Drivel" is a verb that means "to talk nonsense".  So Jezrien being the incoherent drunkard could definitely work.

Edited by Patrick Star

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies. I had a touch of computer problems and just now got back on, to 249 replies. :s

I hadn't heard the theory that the drunkard who says, "Have you seen me?" was ole Jez. That's really interesting. I had thought during one of my first read-throughs that Nale was talking about the new Prime, like some of you did. Though, the way he says it seems to point at referencing the Herald. I mean he still very well could be talking about the Prime, but we don't see the kid drooling anywhere, but that could be a cut at his youth. Like calling him a baby. I just feel the more I look at it, and even with the preceding lines as context, that it is about Jezrien. So, if that's true about him being the drunkard, then that is awesome, thank you all so very much for enlightening me to this theory.

• Chaos locked this topic