Spren Ideas

Turos

Fight spren, appear in large numbers whenever 2 young people are considering a fight, they repeatedly chant 'fight fight fight...' until the fight begins and then cheer loudly whenever either combatant lands a decent punch and make sympathetic noises whenever one gets really really hit and appears to be in a lot of pain.

• 2 years later...

Lustspren.... enough said... really I'm not going into details.

There's an in-book description of passion spren, which amusingly enough are described as "tiny flakes of crystalline snow"..... I'm going to assume there was an inspiration there somewhere.....

Sleepspren - shaped like sheep of course, not that anyone on Roshar would recognize them

Frustration spren - These randomly bang themselves against hard objects

Being serious for a second. What general thing or concept would a Hoidspren be attracted to that would make them only follow Hoid?

Extreme wittiness? Insults? Extremely large amounts of investiture from numerous shards? Something only Yolen humans have?

gravityspren: only appear when a windrunner lashes something in a given direction. appear as blue arrows pointing the direction the opject was just lashed

I think we already have arrow shaped, potentially gravity-related spren bonded to skyeels and chasmfiends.

I think we already have arrow shaped, potentially gravity-related spren bonded to skyeels and chasmfiends.

Rock and Kaladin saw little spren when he was practising a full lashing of a rock to the chasm wall. WoR p. 152,

"Spren," Rock said, pointing. "They pull the stone against the wall."...

Kaladin walked over and joined them. He could make out the tiny purple spren if he looked closely. "They're there, Sig," Kaladin said.

Of course, this leads to a similar question as for any spren. Do the spren hold the rock to the wall, or are they just attracted to the change in gravity? I would guess the latter. Same as flamespren and windspren are attracted to their forces. As a concrete example, when Kaladin learns how to 'fall' through the air, he ends up attracting a bunch of windspren. Probably the windspren aren't actually causing the air currents that buoy him up. Rather, they are attracted to the breezes he is causing with his passage.

Anyway, I don't get why people say the skyeel/chasmfiend spren are gravityspren. I've seen this going around a bunch. The arrow shaped spren just don't seem the same as the tiny purple spren discussed in the WoR passage. Could someone elaborate on this for me?

Full lashing doesn't utilize gravity at all (talk about misnomers), so that's not a very good example . . .

Full lashing is Adhesion, not Gravitation. Skybreakers can't full lash, but can still basic and reverse lash on top of what powers Division brings. Bondsmiths can full lash and lack gravity powers entirely in exchange for Tension manipulation. Whatever that does.

So the purple spren are likely attracted the vacuum pressure generated by full lashed contact surfaces and not any sort of gravity shift.

Rock and Kaladin saw little spren ...

Anyway, I don't get why people say the skyeel/chasmfiend spren are gravityspren. I've seen this going around a bunch. The arrow shaped spren just don't seem the same as the tiny purple spren discussed in the WoR passage. Could someone elaborate on this for me?

I hope this addresses the question. I believe that there is WoB that the Greatshells could not function with their enormous mass unless spren were reducing the mass somehow.  Also, Rysn is told that the Reshi Islandspren reduced her speed of falling, possibly saving her life.  I think that also correlates with her experience.  So that may be why people believe that the Greatshellspren affect gravity.  I have nothing to add to what natc said above about the other spren. 

• Chaos locked this topic