The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

3 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Of course you're a Hufflepuff :P

Waterman, nice. I'm afraid I would lose a Waterman too easily :P. Turntable and vinyl, extra nice. Watch and knife, cool. Other misc things, also cool.

And proud of it! :D

Goodness, I hope I don't lose it. :wacko: I've been wanting a fountain pen for ages.

58 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Merry Christmas, everybody! :D

The haul:

• A Waterman fountain pen (!!!)
  • US Capitol Building LEGO model
  • A turntable + vinyl version of a couple songs from Fantastic Beasts (+10 hipster points but seriously, it's awesome :lol:)
  • Extreme Makeover by Dan Wells, and a Middle-earth atlas thingy
  • Swiss Army knife (I'd been needing a new one) and a watch
  • A new Doctor Who-themed calendar
  • Other misc things, such as a MACUSA keychain, a Hogwarts wax seal, and some silly putty stuff
  • Oh, and musn't forget the Hufflepuff quilt. ;) 

All in all, a great day (and it's only gonna get better: cheese biscuits are on the menu later!). :D 

What's 'Extreme Makeover'?

2 hours ago, Slowswift said:

New book of his about a beauty company that accidentally develops a hand cream that overwrites your DNA. 

I read Extreme Makeover not too long ago and found it simultaneously hilarious and slightly horrifying. I should write a full review of it, in fact...

In other news, I am the proud new owner of White Sand, Vol 1! Other things I'm very happy to have received for Christmas include a 2017 calendar full of excellent bird photography, the Doctor Strange movie soundtrack, Lindsey Stirling's album Brave Enough, a Kylo Ren T-shirt, a Christmas ornament of an alligator in beach attire (to remember my family's vacation to Florida this month), and the Piano Guys album Uncharted. But easily the best Christmas gift of all was having an hour-long Skype call with my brother Ryan, who is currently serving a Mormon religious mission in Serbia. ^_^

My own haul this year.  Got a Bluetooth Millenium Falcon speaker, something you just sit on a surface and play music through.  Got 2 pairs of slippers, 1 wookie feet that are supposed to have sound come out of them (batteries were dead), and 1 regular pair of slippers.  Got a Hess Truck, got one every year since I was born.  Got a new alarm clock, with a USB charging port.  Got a Star Trek wall clock.  And Socks, lots of socks.

What I got:

-A boxed set of The Gentleman Bastards series

-F for Effort and F in Exams two collections of funny wrong answers

-The official Shakespeare insult generator

-A Grumpy Cat pen, bookmark, and calendar

-Quite a few Barns and Noble gift cards

9 minutes ago, Chasmfiend said:

Ah, my small loot:

• 2 tee-shirts
  • Socks with sharks that are eating peanut butter sandwiches
  • Arcanum Unbounded
  • Settlers of Catan
  • 2 posters (Vin Poster and Allomancy Chart)
  • At least one thing that has yet to arrive (My sister won't tell me what it is... <_<)

I'm jealous of your awesome socks! I love silly socks.

3 minutes ago, harambe said:

I JUST DYED MY HAIR BLUE!!!!

AND IT IS AWESOME

Bright blue, or a deep blue? Also, are you a girl/guy, and is it long or short hair? My sisters have died their hair many different colors, so I'm curious how it looks. (I would consider it, but that's not really my personality and I like to sing with the worship team at church, who wouldn't kick me out or anything, but I would feel self-conscious).

7 minutes ago, harambe said:

Can i post my photo here or is it against site regulations or smt?

No regulations.  Some people don't like sharing photos of themselves on the internet, but there are no rules against it here.  (I mean, I spammed the What Do You Look Like thread with my nerdy wedding photos, so...)

Just now, Kaymyth said:

No regulations.  Some people don't like sharing photos of themselves on the internet, but there are no rules against it here.  (I mean, I spammed the What Do You Look Like thread with my nerdy wedding photos, so...)

i am going to check them out immediately 

prepare for a flood of upvotes

10 minutes ago, harambe said:

i am going to check them out immediately 

prepare for a flood of upvotes

Hee.  You may have to dig around the thread to find them.  I was, at least, kind enough to put them all in one post and under a spoiler cut.  But IIRC, there are quite a few pictures in there.

I will also neither confirm nor deny whether there are pictures of me in my Cosplay thread.  :ph34r:

ETA:  Wait, did I really only put one picture of that up in there? 

WAIT!

I REMEMBER

The picspam is on the Relationships thread!

i only found one :(

10 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Hee.  You may have to dig around the thread to find them.  I was, at least, kind enough to put them all in one post and under a spoiler cut.  But IIRC, there are quite a few pictures in there.

I will also neither confirm nor deny whether there are pictures of me in my Cosplay thread.  :ph34r:

on to the cosplay thread!

Edited by harambe

I got loudspeakers (quite a good ones if I were to believe my dad and I do cause he knows stuff), Promise of Blood by McClellan (read it! Like seriously, go read it), Deadpool (film), Blade Runner (book) and some cash.

There's a story or two there: My mother usually steals books from me. So I feed her the good stuff (like cosmere). Anyway, my parents kept bugging me about my list of presents for weeks and when I told them I'd want some of the Dresden Files or the Manuscript found in dragon's cave (it's a fantasy encyclopedic compendium by Sapkowski, author of the Witcher) they told me it's pathetic (it was not serious, we joke like that). In return I told them that their lists are also pathetic; like, dad, seriously, two music albums? we always buy you music. Mom's was worse, like "good book, you know what I like" or a good music or a handbag (which we keep giving her for Christmas).

So I went and started thinking hard and added Superhot to the list and first volume of Sandman. Meanwhile I did some research and proposed to buy mom Promise of Blood. Did not work out but then it turned out that my aunt could not get Wise Man's Fear... so I said Promise of Blood would be fine. So I ended up with something I wanted to buy for mom.

And now, for the punchline: my parents have already bought me loudspeakers even before they started nagging me for my list. They kept bugging me just for sport, all that time. Nobody in my family is normal :lol:

I got a beautiful, illustrated edition of Game of Thrones, new headphones to replace the ones my cats destroyed by chewing on the cable :P I also got a WiFi adapter, because my current one is acting strange and disconnecting me from time to time. 

I also got a pair of leather slippers and a pair of slippers that look more or less like those:

Spoiler

black-bear-paw-slippers-1-lg.jpg

And I also got two parts of "Slavic Bestiary" with beautiful illustrations ^^ 

We had a pizza party today for a family who won a silent auction. They got to eat with the birds. We called it Pizza with Pippin (one of the ed birds).

Pippin was the host and sat near the table. He was served with the guests, his mice on a plate and napkin. He was weary of the plate.

Once dinner began, though, me and a few other volunteers rotated birds around. I had Sweetpea, Rusty, and Willie. Sweets did okay, considering that her and I don't like each other. Willie was a different story. I had never worked with her before and she isn't flighted. She ended up hopping off the fist and couldn't get back up and I couldn't swing her back because I had no idea how the center coordiator wanted me to do it compared to my falconry sponsor (which is also done with a flighted bird).

I also didn't know Rusty liked to play dead in his travel box and that was an adventure. 

(Edit: oops. Wrong (ish) thread. Still good thing tho)

Edited by Kestrel