The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

Got accepted to a Masters programme with a tuition fee waiver (i.e. pay nothing) and offered a teaching job. This should keep me busy for the next two years while I decide whether teaching and research is the life for me...

It's my last day in New Orleans and...I think I love it here.

It's hard to explain why. The weather is warm (for now--it's only March and things will get ugly in the summer, I'm told) and the people I've had a chance to speak to all seem friendly. It's every bit as green as the Northwest, but in a different sort of way. Instead of an abundance of pines, there are all sorts of nice old trees. Grass grows everywhere, and it's only sometimes that there's an effort made to tame it. I've seen a lot of plots by the side of the road with grass eight inches high or more, and wildflowers growing in the midst of it. One-way streets are separated not by cacti and rocks, as in Tucson, but grass and pools of water with drainage ducts. I visited a park by the lake and saw trees, moss, and a crane before being surprised by a heron's sudden rustle of wings.

But why I like it? It's hard to describe, because I don't know if words and pictures would do the trick. Maybe I need to live here longer before I understand the city better. But all I can say for now is that it's almost like magic, something that pulls you in and makes you want to keep coming back for more.

So, goodbye for now, New Orleans. I'll see you again very soon.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Or a song. If Graveyard could get away with writing a song called Uncomfortably Numb I can get away with writing a song called Comfortably Dead.

Relevant link. I listened to this album like trice a day for about two weeks when it came out...

My parent s got an offer on their house! What this means for me is that I won't have to keep interrupting my life because of showings. (Yesterday I had just put my dinner in the oven when I got a call, so I had to put dinner in the fridge, clean up, grab Bruce, and hurry out the door.) So my next few weeks at home will be relatively peaceful.

And I'm waiting at the Apple Store. Looks like I'll get in right away. Hopefully the repairs won't be too costly.

Update: Repairs aren't too terrible (more in the 175 range than the 500) but it'll take 3-5 days. So I'll be without a computer until Wednesday at least. Oh well, better than having to buy a new computer.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Today, a giant blizzard hit. Shoveling should've taken at least 90min. Luckily, I was able to conscript my neighbor into using his plow :D

Go outside and thank that blizzard for me.  It canceled so many flights that we no longer have a corporate bigwig coming into the office, so we don't have to dress up tomorrow!

I figured. Unfortunatly, I'm currently on spring break. No blizzsrd benefits for me :P

The best school year for me was 2007-2008, the year I graduated high school. That January, a series of massive snowstorms swept in, burying Spokane in an accumulative seven feet of snow. 

Inside of a week. 

Schools cancelled classes for that entire week while the snowplows struggled to keep up. Every student knew they'd have to pay for that snow week somehow: One school district added a few minutes of instruction time onto each day for the rest of the year, while mine cheated its students out of a week of summer vacation so they could make up that time at the end of the year. 

It would've been nasty for me….if I'd had to go. 

See, in addition to enacting solutions that staff and students alike hated, my school was also budget-minded. Like any good event planners, the administration had reserved the Spokane Arena for senior graduation months ahead of schedule, and at that point, there was no way of getting their deposit back. So administration essentially threw up their hands and said, "Fine! They're graduating anyway; who cares if they miss an extra week?" 

As a bonus, seniors were always exempted from attending the last week of the school year, because of how senior finals and graduation worked out. So, instead of getting to skip an extra week of school, I got to miss two weeks, plus the snow week in January. 

It was a good year.