The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

They're not taking Hamilton of the $10 bill! I've always liked him. I said from the start they should replace Jackson instead. He was kind of a jerk. Also he has a musical about his life that has some pretty dang good music (thanks to Honor Spren for getting me addicted to it).

Also, Honor Spren got me addicted to Hamilton musics. :P

They're not taking Hamilton of the $10 bill! I've always liked him. I said from the start they should replace Jackson instead. He was kind of a jerk. Also he has a musical about his life that has some pretty dang good music (thanks to Honor Spren for getting me addicted to it).

Also, Honor Spren got me addicted to Hamilton musics. :P

It makes a lot more sense for Hamilton to be on money than for Jackson to be on any dollar bill.

Really, the only good thing I can think of that Jackson contributed to US history is a kick chull attempted assassination attempt on his person.

Uhm he saved the country. He was ruthless but so were most of those guys back then. Maybe it's cause of me being in Louisiana but I like my 20's with Jackson.

Well, I mostly dislike him for the whole Indian Removal Act thing. The Supreme Court even said it was unconstitutional but he went on with it anyway.  :wacko:

Yep he was ruthless. It's on his watch that we didn't rejoin the Empire again in 1812. Had it been another general in command who knows what would have happened. In the scheme of things he was very important to country. He was basically the start of what would be the Dem party. He had his won election stolen from him and given to Adams then next election got in ending the cycle of the Sec of States all inheriting the chair.

Yep he was ruthless. It's on his watch that we didn't rejoin the Empire again in 1812. Had it been another general in command who knows what would have happened. In the scheme of things he was very important to country. He was basically the start of what would be the Dem party. He had his won election stolen from him and given to Adams then next election got in ending the cycle of the Sec of States all inheriting the chair.

He defied the Supreme Court to implement the Indian Removal Act--in other words, he wasn't just ruthless; he broke the law to do what he wanted. And what he wanted was to boot thousands of people off their land in an event that killed thousands. One of the people who survived? My ancestor, who hid among an Anglo family and took their name, sacrificing his heritage in the name of survival. Fast-forward to today, and my family is still having a hard time tracking him down.

And the worst part? My ancestor wasn't unique in this regard. There were others, other deaths, other tragedies. At the root of them all is Jackson saying, "Marshall has made his decision; let him now enforce it."

Because of this, I can't see Jackson as a ruthless hero. I can only see him as a monster.

Uhm he saved the country. He was ruthless but so were most of those guys back then. Maybe it's cause of me being in Louisiana but I like my 20's with Jackson.

Punting the inevitable civil war to later is hardly "saving the county." Unless you count it as saving the county from himself, considering his disposition he'd be more likely to take things out on the losers than Lincoln was.

Further, as a slave owner, how likely would he have been to issue an Emancipation Proclamation? So I guess punting the civil war down was better, since I doubt he would have resolved a major cause of it.

Punting the inevitable civil war to later is hardly "saving the county." Unless you count it as saving the county from himself, considering his disposition he'd be more likely to take things out on the losers than Lincoln was.

Further, as a slave owner, how likely would he have been to issue an Emancipation Proclamation? So I guess punting the civil war down was better, since I doubt he would have resolved a major cause of it.

I'm not saying one thing about civil war. War of 1812. He stopped 2nd British Invasion at NOLA. He did indeed save US at the time.

I'm not saying one thing about civil war. War of 1812. He stopped 2nd British Invasion at NOLA. He did indeed save US at the time.

Are we talking about the Battle of New Orleans? Because the Peace Treaty to end the War of 1812 was all ready signed and making its way across the pond. Even if Jackson lost, that treaty would have been ratified by Congress and the war ended on the same terms.

At my uncles funeral. Forgot my family was so large! Also not cool I'm now having to bend my head up to meet all my little cousins eyes...they were glued to me in 80's and 90's cause I was the older and cool cousin that would stop the bully cousins in their tracks.

Just re read this. Ha not that his funeral was happy news but seeing some family for the 1st time in 25 or more yrs certainly was.

Edited by Briar King

Works for me too, Mestiv.

On the good news front, I got my grocery shopping done, bought a packet of wall adhesive things for my art, got a vacuum and an iron, vacuumed my apartment thoroughly, put all the groceries away, and am now eating a nice lunch of tuna on crackers while I get ready for my haircut.

And it's not even noon yet.

Do you make art, or is this art you bought? Either way, may I request pictures?

Do you make art, or is this art you bought? Either way, may I request pictures?

I bought it. And, after making an inventory, I realized that most of the art I have is art that matched my old bedroom, not my new apartment. :ph34r: (It's mostly butterflies and flowers—stuff I liked back during my girly phase, but not stuff that'll match the geeky fandom scheme I'm envisioning.) I'll take pictures of each room as I finish, and the first one should be my bathroom, once the things I ordered come in. :ph34r: 

Had fun at JordanCon! Met some cool people, met Brandon, it was a good time. I also had my first job interview today, and I think it went really well. The guy said that he liked me, and that he'd try and call me back soon  :D

Had fun at JordanCon! Met some cool people, met Brandon, it was a good time. I also had my first job interview today, and I think it went really well. The guy said that he liked me, and that he'd try and call me back soon  :D

It was good getting a chance to chat with you! 

Achievement unlocked! Last.fm feed is in my signature  B) If anyone else wants to have their own Last.fm feed in their signature or wherever feel free to use it. If you don't know how, contact me :)

Now, let's learn my signature to recognize your usernames :P

Achievement unlocked! Last.fm feed is in my signature B) If anyone else wants to have their own Last.fm feed in their signature or wherever feel free to use it. If you don't know how, contact me :)

Now, let's learn my signature to recognize your usernames :P

I think you mean teach your signature. :). Or program or configure or something. Learn isn't quite the word you're looking for here.