The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

I got 2 pleasant surprises today. :) So last week I bought a copy of Rick Riordan's latest book, The Hidden Oracle, at the King's English bookstore in Salt Lake. Today I opened it up to start reading, and what do I find? Rick's signature scrawled across the title page! Score!!

The other pleasant surprise happened while I was reading a copy of the graphic novel Kill Shakespeare Vol 2 that I bought used from Amazon. I found a loose insert with a letter from the writers/editors on one side that said there'd been a printing error and so they had to put that page in to correct it, but that maybe one day it would be a cool collectible. (The printing error was that the original page of comics was missing all the speech bubbles.)

I finished Emperor's Soul today. I knew it's going to be different from those epic fantasy things Brandon usually writes. I knew that. I've read Elantris which had a plotline of, basically, a man thrown out to abandoned city of undead/leprosaurium.

It was very different and that's why it could be my favorite Brandon book along with WoK since these books are so different ;) I still have to sleep on all of that and wait until my mind sorts everything and so on, but I liked TES very much.

Edited by Oversleep
Tenses! Curses.

3 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I finished Emperor's Soul today. I knew it's going to be different from those epic fantasy things Brandon usually writes. I knew that. I've read Elantris which had a plotline of, basically, a man thrown out to abandoned city of undead/leprosaurium.

It was very different and that's why it could be my favorite Brandon book along with WoK since these books are so different ;) I still had to sleep on all of that and wait until my mind sorts everything and so on, but I liked TES very much.

Yeah, it is different; not in a bad way, though. Glad you liked it! Personally, it's one of my favorites as well and I consider it one of his best.

@Sunbird, uh... well...sometimes I made up various lines characters in my story could say. Or even lines I want to put in it. Sometimes I put them in my signature and wait until someone asks me about it and then I know I wrote something which made someone curious. I usually ask whether they like that line and why and various other questions.

I have another quote like that, but for now this one stays in my sig. I'll switch them when I feel that one is old.

55 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

I just picked up the final Temeraire book, League of Dragons, from the library today. :D I also picked up a Muse album I hadn't listened to before.

Wait. How many books are there? For some reason I find it really hard to keep up. 

12 minutes ago, Wychmire said:

I got The Way of Kings From my library yesterday! And stayed up till eleven last night reading it. And I still have about a fourth of the book to go...

Oh, how I envy you... reading the last 1/4 of WoK for the first time... :rolleyes: Take it slow and savor the experience ;)

12 hours ago, Wychmire said:

I got The Way of Kings From my library yesterday! And stayed up till eleven last night reading it. And I still have about a fourth of the book to go...

Ah, this brings back good memories... When I read WoK for the first time, I was also using a library copy. I happen to work in the library from which I borrowed it, and there was something wrong with the security device in the book so that every day when I went in or out of the library's security gates for work, the alarm would sound and I'd have to dig this massive brick of a book out of my backpack and present it to the security guard so he could scan it and confirm that I was not trying to steal it. After this had been happening for like a week straight, I finally got to the point where I expected the alarm to go off and would carry the book under my arm to go through the security gate so I didn't have to stop and dig in my backpack.