The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

I got my first cell phone in high school (don't remember exactly what year): the venerable Nokia 3310. I kept that for a while, and also had a few other phones in that time before the smartphone really put in an appearance. I'm a giant Apple nerd, so when the iPhone came out I was absolutely fascinated, but I didn't manage to get any type of smartphone for a long time after; I got an Android phone in 2012 I think, then switched to an iPhone not long after, by getting a used one from a friend. I didn't get my first new iPhone until two years ago.

For reference, though, I'm 31, so it was a different scene when I was in high school. I was still one of the last of my friends to get a phone, though.

jW

9 hours ago, Delightful said:

When I got my first phone flip-phones were all the rage.  And I wasn't cool enough to have one. But any phone was still cool. :P 

Ooh, I almost forgot, I had a Nokia (not the 3310, but I don't remember the exact model) with exchangeable faceplates.  I got myself one that slid down when you pushed a button on the side.  Right after The Matrix came out.

Yep, I felt cool for a while.  I wasn't, but I felt like I was.

(I did later have the venerable Motorola Razr, two different versions of it, in fact, including the one with a dragon tattoo etched into it.)

EDIT: Perhaps we should stop derailing this thread and make one for cell phones?

419OfMC+IWL.jpg

jW

Edited by Jondesu

7 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

This is a kind of funny way to have a good day, but I thought it'd be nice to share anyways because I'm very happy about it.

A friend called another friend "the smartest person I know", and I wasn't hurt. Like, at all. I spent so long seeing my intelligence as my only good attribute that not feeling threatened when someone is smarter than me is a shock.

I guess that it's been a long time in coming. I've finally reached the point where I'm secure in myself and sufficiently diverse in the aspects of my personality that I value, secure and diverse enough to not go into shock when my intellectual dominance is threatened. I no longer feel the need to be "the smart one", just to be the best person that I can be.

Being seen as something other than the brainy kid doesn't hurt me any more, and that feels really, really good.  

I finally got my car back from the repair shop yesterday! Last Monday when I dropped it off, they said they expected to have it finished Thursday. Thursday they called me to say they were waiting on a part and wouldn't be done until Friday. Friday I called them and they said they hadn't been able to finish, so I'd have to wait until Tuesday since they're closed on the weekends and Monday was a national holiday. But on Tuesday I finally got my car back with a new, undented door!

6 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I finally got my car back from the repair shop yesterday! Last Monday when I dropped it off, they said they expected to have it finished Thursday. Thursday they called me to say they were waiting on a part and wouldn't be done until Friday. Friday I called them and they said they hadn't been able to finish, so I'd have to wait until Tuesday since they're closed on the weekends and Monday was a national holiday. But on Tuesday I finally got my car back with a new, undented door!

Ayye! good for you!

Although why the panelbeaters took that long, and why they were "waiting on a part" is a tad bit mysterious. I think they were just procrastinating.

1 hour ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Ayye! good for you!

Although why the panelbeaters took that long, and why they were "waiting on a part" is a tad bit mysterious. I think they were just procrastinating.

Not really. I worked for an upscale car dealership with a parts and maintenance department, and delays on parts shipments were normal. If we had the part in stock, we'd use that; but I processed many paperwork forms saying "Part not in stock, customer will return." Sometimes this was because the car was an early model and we had to order the part from the manufacturer, sometimes the part was for a repair we'd seen a lot of that month and we had simply run out, sometimes the car was a make we didn't even sell at our dealership and therefore we had to order the part from another company. "Waiting on a part" is a normal and legitimate reason to keep a customer waiting. 

19 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Not really. I worked for an upscale car dealership with a parts and maintenance department, and delays on parts shipments were normal. If we had the part in stock, we'd use that; but I processed many paperwork forms saying "Part not in stock, customer will return." Sometimes this was because the car was an early model and we had to order the part from the manufacturer, sometimes the part was for a repair we'd seen a lot of that month and we had simply run out, sometimes the car was a make we didn't even sell at our dealership and therefore we had to order the part from another company. "Waiting on a part" is a normal and legitimate reason to keep a customer waiting. 

Ooooh, they completely replaced the door, I didn't realise the dent was that big and had assumed they would beat it back into shape

9 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Ooooh, they completely replaced the door, I didn't realise the dent was that big and had assumed they would beat it back into shape

Not necessarily.  There are a lot of mechanisms inside the door, like the locks and window controls.  They could have easily hammered out the dent, but had to replace some internal bits that got smooshed.

Re: car repairs, yeah, they completely replaced my door. The dent was about the size and shape of a football (American football, not the rest of the world's football), but didn't keep me from driving the car or opening the door. I dunno what other problems the dent might have caused, since my car doesn't have power locks or windows. *shrug*

11 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Not only did the vet say Bruce was healthy and that his infection wasn't as bad as it looked, but the bill came to a lot less than I expected. ^_^ 

Proof you're a good pet owner! :)

6 hours ago, Mistrunner said:

Low brass sweatshirts came in today and they're fantastic. :D

As in for band? Are they low cut and made of brass? Coloured brass? Coloured glass? What even is this life?

1 hour ago, Morzathoth said:

GMed for the first time! Went reasonably well. The game was Don't Rest Your Head, if anyone was curious.

Bahaha!  Friends of mine adapted that system for an all-day Nac Mac Feegle grinder a few years back.

It was awesome.