The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

A couple months ago  my favorite podcast issued a challenge to write a good pokemon creepypasta (The person who issued the challenge was of the opinion that it was impossible)

I of course entered.

Today the winners were announced.

I wasnt one of them.

But I was the first honorable mention, so I'm happy.

9 hours ago, Ookla the Cat Lord said:

It's the last day in my current job and tomorrow I'm starting a new one ^^ And, as a result, my income should increase by almost 50% ^^ 

That's always good!  Also, your sig would be creepy if I didn't understand how it worked. :P

My creative writing juices have finally kicked back in!

...you know, now that NaNo is almost over.  I have zero chance of hitting 50k, but at least I have momentum now.  This means that once I finish the zero draft of Riding the Storm, I will go back and finish the final revision of Swift as Steel.  Then I can start putting it up while I dive into the zero drafts for the rest of Eva's story, then rewrite Riding the Storm and send it off to alpha and beta readers.

Some of this order may be subject to change; there's the possibility that I may push through and write the zero drafts of the short story bridge between books 2 and 3, and then book 3 as well, so that I have all of the big events sitting in front of me.  My timeline needs a serious standardizing, so I might need to have the full story in zero draft form before that final tightening draft of the first book.

I'm going to Japan next week! Woohoo!

This will be the first time I'll be outside of my country (though not my first plane ride). This was my sister's idea. Me, her, and our parents will be flying to Tokyo on a four day vacation. I'm still not sure it's wise to go there during winter (us tropical country folks are not used to really cold climate), but perhaps seeing snow for the first time will be worth it. :)

So, how do you four-season people survive winter, anyway? I already have a couple of really warm jackets and I plan to buy some "HeatTech" clothing and some gloves this weekend. How many layers of clothing should I wear?

Do I need to know how to make fire? Just kidding... though I hear Japanese houses have plenty of burnable materials. :P

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Insipid said:

I'm going to Japan next week! Woohoo!

This will be the first time I'll be outside of my country (though not my first plane ride). This was my sister's idea. Me, her, and our parents will be flying to Tokyo on a four day vacation. I'm still not sure it's wise to go there during winter (us tropical country folks are not used to really cold climate), but perhaps seeing snow for the first time will be worth it. :)

So, how do you four-season people survive winter, anyway? I already have a couple of really warm jackets and I plan to buy some "HeatTech" clothing and some gloves this weekend. How many layers of clothing should I wear?

Do I need to know how to make fire? Just kidding... though I hear Japanese houses have plenty of burnable materials. :P

I've heard that winters in Japan and surrounding areas can be really brutal, even by the standards of someone who lives in Utah--an area that deals with a lot of snow in winter and rarely cancels anything for snow. My advice: make sure you have some boots or tall-ish shoes that won't let snow leak in the tops if you're walking through snow several inches deep. If it's icy, don't go outside in shoes without good grippy tread on the bottom, or it'll be much harder to avoid slipping and falling. The total number of layers you'll want to wear will probably depend on just how cold it gets, but I'd recommend bringing a somewhat lighter jacket for moderately chilly temps and so you can use different combinations of layers with your heavier jackets/coats for flexibility to deal with different temps on different days.

You'll most likely want a scarf, and something to keep your head and ears warm as well--a knit beanie or some earmuffs or a fuzzy hat with earflaps.

Edit: oh, I just thought of something else! Cold air doesn't hold moisture as well as warm air, so your hands or lips may get dry and chapped, especially if there's a lot of wind. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) will help your skin not dry out so fast--it works for both your hands and your lips, or chapstick/lip balm can also help your lips.

Edited by Ookla the Flighty

1 hour ago, Ookla the Flighty said:

I've heard that winters in Japan and surrounding areas can be really brutal, even by the standards of someone who lives in Utah--an area that deals with a lot of snow in winter and rarely cancels anything for snow. My advice: make sure you have some boots or tall-ish shoes that won't let snow leak in the tops if you're walking through snow several inches deep. If it's icy, don't go outside in shoes without good grippy tread on the bottom, or it'll be much harder to avoid slipping and falling. The total number of layers you'll want to wear will probably depend on just how cold it gets, but I'd recommend bringing a somewhat lighter jacket for moderately chilly temps and so you can use different combinations of layers with your heavier jackets/coats for flexibility to deal with different temps on different days.

You'll most likely want a scarf, and something to keep your head and ears warm as well--a knit beanie or some earmuffs or a fuzzy hat with earflaps.

Thanks! I should probably make a new thread for winter suggestions. Anyway, I can't wait to eat Japanese street food and visit Akihabara, Odaiba, and the Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo. Even if Japanese winter kills me, I shall die happy amongst Pokemon plushies, authentic takoyaki, anime figures, and Gundam RG 1/1 RX-78-2 Ver. GFT. :D

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

1 hour ago, Ookla the Flighty said:

Edit: oh, I just thought of something else! Cold air doesn't hold moisture as well as warm air, so your hands or lips may get dry and chapped, especially if there's a lot of wind. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) will help your skin not dry out so fast--it works for both your hands and your lips, or chapstick/lip balm can also help your lips.

Is that why the air is dry during winter? :o 

Just now, Jondesu said:

@Ookla the Insipid, if you're primarily in Tokyo, the winter will be cold, but you might not see any snow. I was there from Jan-Mar one year and we just got a light dusting one time.  It's only really bad up north more.

Just last week I saw news about November snow in Tokyo. That was supposed to be a big deal because it hasn't happened in like half a century. I hope it would still be snowing next week.

9 hours ago, Ookla the Chibi said:

Is that why the air is dry during winter? :o 

Yep.

Also, dry air tends to create more static electricity, which I why I refer to the advent of late fall as The Time of the Zapping.

(ThinkGeek sells these great little keychain things that allow you to discharge static without pain.  They're wonderful.)

So I'm subbing at work for one of the other lifeguards, which means I get bonus pay, and for the past two hours there hasn't been a single person in the pool area. So I've been getting sub pay to catch up on my reading basically. I love my job. 

3 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

Because I'm young-looking? I'm 16 and it annoys me.

I just tell myself that I'll appreciate it when I'm 40. :P 

Speaking as a 39-year-old who is routinely mistaken for being a decade younger than that - yes.  Yes, you will.  Unfortunately, it's going to be a couple of decades before you hit that point.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Flighty said:

My Eye of Agomotto arrived in the mail today!

Large photo:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_0032.JPG

No storming way. Get me one yeah?

And whoever downvoted me b4 it was a joke.

right @Cognizantastic??

??

??

I really hate how I have to continually say that nowadays lol

Edited by Mesa the Ookla