Source of Information

Thanks for the link. Have you seen anything new over there?

Also, it's kind of odd to see a site without any explicit broader Cosmere-awareness talking about one of Brandon's books. :huh:

Also, it's kind of odd to see a site without any explicit broader Cosmere-awareness talking about one of Brandon's books. :huh:

Yeah, that's the problem with Stormblessed. They are nice and all (though pretty inactive), but I think you get more coming at it from more cosmere awareness. Stroniax, has anything been there that hasn't been talked about here?

I find the thought that they mostly don't know about the wider cosmere really disconcerting, for some reason. While after reading Mistborn (the first of Brandon's books I read) I didn't know much about it, I could already tell there was something deeper than the trilogy that would connect everything. I just don't know how you wouldn't be able to talk about that when talking about Brandons books, seeing as it is central to so many things.

Yeah, that's the problem with Stormblessed. They are nice and all (though pretty inactive), but I think you get more coming at it from more cosmere awareness. Stroniax, has anything been there that hasn't been talked about here?

Not yet. I found a little speculation about the KR, but that's about all. And it was only speculation, no proof backing it up solidly. However, I havent looked that far, and they may have more that we dont have. If they do, I'll post a link to it here. :)

I'm not too sure about that site's value as a source of information. They're working off the same information we are, after all.

I was happy to see that someone else had the theory about the guy Kaladin killed being Shallan's brother. I wonder if he came up with it independently. He made it in March 2011, so before I put the whole theory up on here, but after I'd posted about that topic on timewastersguide, when that forum still worked. 1st I mentioned it expanded

Also, it looks like there is some speculation that Shardblades with jewels in the pommel might be a different type of Shardblade, which I don't like personally, but is not an idea I've actually seen on here before. So I'll give them some credit for that.

I'm not too sure about that site's value as a source of information. They're working off the same information we are, after all.

I was happy to see that someone else had the theory about the guy Kaladin killed being Shallan's brother. I wonder if he came up with it independently. He made it in March 2011, so before I put the whole theory up on here, but after I'd posted about that topic on timewastersguide, when that forum still worked. 1st I mentioned it expanded

Also, it looks like there is some speculation that Shardblades with jewels in the pommel might be a different type of Shardblade, which I don't like personally, but is not an idea I've actually seen on here before. So I'll give them some credit for that.

They have the same data, but they also have different minds, different presuppositions, a different focus, and a different cultural dynamic. That's a bit valuable. Newton had the same tools as other scientists of his age, but he still generated Calculus before they did.

I feel compelled to mention that there's a very good reason to discuss The Stormlight Archives without referencing the greater Cossmere -- It seems like it's been stated many times that this will not be "The Cosmere Epic", and I've noticed that we tend to expect things ("3 of the 16 ruled, but now the broken one reigns") to refer to the Cosmere instead.

It's an unavoidable issue of our groupthink. While we're certainly right in a lot of our gleanings, such as Galladon's presence, I think it blinds us to the "smaller" plot of the Stormlight Archives.

See, I think that Stormblessed has a lot going for it. I mean really, in order to start deep theorizing on this website, you need to have read pretty much ALL Brandon's books (plus a handful of interviews/ explanations). With Stormblessed, you only have to have read The Stormlight Archive. That's a much easier level to fulfill.

But that's the thing. There aren't some things you can get from just reading Stormlight Archive. There's going to be clues to how Stormlight Archive turns out in other books, whether in mechanics or in plotline. Plus the fact that Brandon's working on a bajillion projects at once, so a dedicated fansite to just one of those is going to be harder to work. But I really hope it picks up again when SA 2 comes out.

I feel compelled to mention that there's a very good reason to discuss The Stormlight Archives without referencing the greater Cossmere -- It seems like it's been stated many times that this will not be "The Cosmere Epic", and I've noticed that we tend to expect things ("3 of the 16 ruled, but now the broken one reigns") to refer to the Cosmere instead.

It's an unavoidable issue of our groupthink. While we're certainly right in a lot of our gleanings, such as Galladon's presence, I think it blinds us to the "smaller" plot of the Stormlight Archives.

This. We've seen the bigger picture, and now it's ALL we can see. We're the one who see the universe and all the planets, and that makes it hard to see the microorganisms. It's good to have sites like Stormblessed who can still look at the smaller things without the bigger picture smashing its way in all the time.

Edited by Observer

Certainly, but I do believe that will all the Cosmere interaction (Hoid's appearance, the other world-hoppers(?) [Galladon, Demoux, etc], Odium killing whomever, etc) Roshar is going to become a very important Cosmere planet.

See, I think that Stormblessed has a lot going for it. I mean really, in order to start deep theorizing on this website, you need to have read pretty much ALL Brandon's books (plus a handful of interviews/ explanations). With Stormblessed, you only have to have read The Stormlight Archive. That's a much easier level to fulfill.

But that's the thing. There aren't some things you can get from just reading Stormlight Archive. There's going to be clues to how Stormlight Archive turns out in other books, whether in mechanics or in plotline. Plus the fact that Brandon's working on a bajillion projects at once, so a dedicated fansite to just one of those is going to be harder to work. But I really hope it picks up again when SA 2 comes out.

I'm just going to point a finger over at Dragonmount.

Different strokes for different authors, but there should be more than enough to keep that community going for 15-20 years.

Mistborn isn't "The Cosmere Epic" either, but we couldn't have the story we do if it weren't for Ruin, Preservation, and their conflict, which is undeniably Cosmere. Knowing the bigger picture just gives us a clearer perspective on what's going on here, and will likely lead to us coming to the correct conclusions before people who don't know these things. It's not vital to enjoyment of the books, but if you like theorizing, it definitely helps to have more of the pieces.

• Chaos locked this topic