Should Phoenix be reborn at 25 each time, or at the age he was when he died? I like the former due to a) functional immortality and b ) it relates to the mythological phoenix being reborn each time as a baby - Phoenix is going back to his 'infancy' as an Epic.

Edited by 18th Shard

In real life, I cannot stand okra. It belongs on Patji. In world, I would say he's is allergic to it, and had several really bad reactions in elementary school.

Edit: It does not belong on Patji - I would never wish such a fate on someone else. I would rather step on a Lego.

I'm not a fan either. But as someone with food allergies, I'd suggest also adding in some sort of social fallout to those reactions. As I understood it, Epic fears aren't just fears, but stem from the sort of trauma that changes your behavior. They're the kind of fear that can, and do, rule lives. My food allergies only change my behavior in the sense that I avoid foods with allergens in them. Granted, my allergies are rarely life-threatening, so if he nearly died after a bad reaction to okra I'd say it fits, but I think some social consequences would also help his backstory. Maybe he was nearly killed at a friend's house by eating something he didn't know had okra in it, and his mom and the friend's mom had such a fight that he wound up losing the friend over it too? 

My new laptop arrived, yay for no more crashing for no reason!

Now I just have to find the 50 or so Epic related docs I created on my old laptop and move them over...

Seems like you have your work cut out for you then. ;)

Should Phoenix be reborn at 25 each time, or at the age he was when he died? I like the former due to a) functional immortality and b ) it relates to the mythological phoenix being reborn each time as a baby - Phoenix is going back to his 'infancy' as an Epic.

Again by WoB no functional immortality, so he should keep ageing.

I'm not a fan either. But as someone with food allergies, I'd suggest also adding in some sort of social fallout to those reactions. As I understood it, Epic fears aren't just fears, but stem from the sort of trauma that changes your behavior. They're the kind of fear that can, and do, rule lives. My food allergies only change my behavior in the sense that I avoid foods with allergens in them. Granted, my allergies are rarely life-threatening, so if he nearly died after a bad reaction to okra I'd say it fits, but I think some social consequences would also help his backstory. Maybe he was nearly killed at a friend's house by eating something he didn't know had okra in it, and his mom and the friend's mom had such a fight that he wound up losing the friend over it too? 

What she said, effectively.

Edited by Edgedancer

Maybe he had it at school, almost died, was out of school for a week or two, and was made fun of the rest of the year, with people bringing okra to school to mess with him. His family eventually switched schools because a second reaction was caused by someone slipping okra into his lunch - the perpetrator was never caught.

Edit:

Seems like you have your work cut out for you then.  ;)

Again by WoB no functional immortality, so he should keep ageing.

What she said, effectively.

Sorry, misunderstood the quote.

Edited by 18th Shard

Maybe he had it at school, almost died, was out of school for a week or two, and was made fun of the rest of the year, with people bringing okra to school to mess with him. His family eventually switched schools because a second reaction was caused by someone slipping okra into his lunch - the perpetrator was never caught.

Edit:

Sorry, misunderstood the quote.

Was the okra in something the cafeteria served? It might add another layer of fear to his backstory if his parents tried to sue the school for willful negligence or something similar. That could have also caused some of the teachers to take out their frustration with his parents on him. All of that—the teasing, the teachers, the lawsuit, his parents cooing over him and checking his lunchbox for the slightest hint of okra—would take the fear from a simple "oh, I'm allergic to this so I need to avoid it" to "wow, I'm completely powerless in the face of a stinking vegetable. Something from a backyard garden ruined my life."

The okra was in something the cafeteria served. I would say there was not a big lawsuit, but his parents were extremely overprotective from then on, checking his lunchbox, checking all his foods at parties or school functions, and did give a lot of complaints to the administration, which made the teachers then (intentionally or not) take out their frustration on him. He played sports before, but stopped after being constantly bullied by the other players. Moved to Oregon where okra is uncommon because of this.

Epic Evil Trait: Extreme Paranoia - Will not eat food he did not prepare.

The okra was in something the cafeteria served. I would say there was not a big lawsuit, but his parents were extremely overprotective from then on, checking his lunchbox, checking all his foods at parties or school functions, and did give a lot of complaints to the administration, which made the teachers then (intentionally or not) take out their frustration on him. He played sports before, but stopped after being constantly bullied by the other players. Moved to Oregon where okra is uncommon because of this.

Epic Evil Trait: Extreme Paranoia - Will not eat food he did not prepare.

Sounds reasonable.

Do you know anything about the locations already or do you want a run down?

Well, the DA can always use more spikes  :ph34r:

I would like a run-down on locations, yes. I read through Astoria (your Adventurer character is great, Voidus), but I haven't looked through the others. Also, how are the threads planned/ are they planned?

I would like a run-down on locations, yes. I read through Astoria (your Adventurer character is great, Voidus), but I haven't looked through the others. Also, how are the threads planned/ are they planned?

Thanks!

We have a wiki for the RP although it's in its early stages so it's not ideal for getting information but might be worth a look through.

In a very vague sense of the word we plan the threads here in the Question threads although it's nothing set in stone and most of the time we're just making jokes and posting pictures of pugs.

I bake my own cookies, but thanks. :P

How do you mean? In the sense of worldbuilding, they're planned out ahead of time (except for Portland, which we've been building as we go) with rulers, factions, politics, and the like set up before we begin. In the sense of events, they're not planned at all. Character interactions and reactions drive the plot. I suppose Corvallis is something of an exception, since Euphoria's disappearance is what's been driving the action, but we don't really plan the plots. 

Edit: Ninja'd. What Voidus said. :P 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Some very short summaries for now. Ask if you want more details on a place.

Portland: Turfwar between three major factions and some weaker Epics that greatly overestimate their chances. (Already looked for new characters the last time I checked.)

The Dalles: A rather small town in which Vanillas miraculously managed to keep control over the Epic populaton. Currently under siege by a mostly panda themed mutant army that retreated for the day and Epic cultists.

Astoria you already know.

Corvallis: A pseudo Utopia, cut of from the outside world by a forcefield that only gets lowered to let immigrants in, supplied with just about everything by an Epic and has another Epic that keeps the Vanillas drugged up to make them happy slaves. Said Epics just went missing and the people are rioting.

(Also, fair warning there will be ponies. :ph34r: )

Thanks!

We have a wiki for the RP although it's in its early stages so it's not ideal for getting information but might be worth a look through.

In a very vague sense of the word we plan the threads here in the Question threads although it's nothing set in stone and most of the time we're just making jokes and posting pictures of pugs.

Talking about the wiki, should we add something along the lines of "Relationships/interactions with other characters" to expand more on stuff like the rivilary between Funtimes and Lightwards or Autumn's andy Shiny's realationship in more details than just one or two words?

Edited by Edgedancer

Some very short summaries for now. Ask if you want more details on a place.

Portland: Turfwar between three major factions and some weaker Epics that greatly overestimate their chances. (Already looked for new characters the last time I checked.)

The Dalles: A rather small town in which Vanillas miraculously managed to keep control over the Epic populaton. Currently under siege by a mostly panda themed mutant army that retreated for the day and Epic cultists.

Astoria you already know.

Corvallis: A pseudo Utopia, cut of from the outside world by a forcefield that only gets lowered to let immigrants in, supplied with just about everything by an Epic and has another Epic that keeps the Vanillas drugged up to make them happy slaves. Said Epics just went missing and the people are rioting.

(Also, fair warning there will be ponies. :ph34r: )

Talking about the wiki, should we add something along the lines of "Relationships/interactions with other characters" to expand more on stuff like the rivilary between Funtimes and Lightwards or Autumn's andy Shiny's realationship in more details than just one or two words?

Probably won't last much longer. (Plus The Dalles' system was created before Firefight, when it still seemed plausible that Epics could go without using their powers for long periods. :ph34r:

(So many ponies.) 

We could do, not sure if it would be better to just expand upon that sort of thing in the overview/biography section though.

It might be handy to have the relationships summed up in the info boxes, then expanded in the biographies. (By the way, is there a trick to editing those info boxes? I tried to add Funtimes' real name, but it wouldn't let me.) 

Probably won't last much longer. (Plus The Dalles' system was created before Firefight, when it still seemed plausible that Epics could go without using their powers for long periods. :ph34r:

(So many ponies.) 

It might be handy to have the relationships summed up in the info boxes, then expanded in the biographies. (By the way, is there a trick to editing those info boxes? I tried to add Funtimes' real name, but it wouldn't let me.) 

For the purpose of the RP not, although right now the city would still have a chance. (Because it's not like they haven't been using all the time from what's shown in the RP. :ph34r: )

Just open the editor and click on the box or the symbol for it, if you are in the classic editor. (Actually why have those an Epic name section, if the Epic name is also the title?)

That aspect actually makes more sense with Firefight, in my opinion. The rule was created by Vondra, but is broken with impunity by practically every Epic in The Dalles. Deathwish flies everywhere he goes, Arsenal creates gadgets constantly, Reader reads everyone within his vicinity, Glamour creates disco lights around him at all times... the number of Epics who follow the rules is smaller than the Epics who break them. Vondra's rule betrays a fundamental lack of understanding about how Epics work, and the consequences of his lack of knowledge can be seen every time an Epic uses his powers when not strictly necessary.

If you're using the classic editor (which absolutely everybody should use) then you can just hover your cursor above the green puzzle icon and edit the template that way.

(So many ponies.) 

Just edited it in and it seems to work although I was sure I'd already done it so maybe something weird is happening where it keeps changing to blank.

For the purpose of the RP not, although right now the city would still have a chance. (Because it's not like they haven't been using all the time from what's shown in the RP. :ph34r: )

Just open the editor and click on the box or the symbol for it, if you are in the classic editor. (Actually why have those an Epic name section, if the Epic name is also the title?)

A small one, but a chance. (Maybe they've just been using their powers more often over the past three days, which allowed them to remain relatively uncorrupted because of the Magic of Storytelling, ever think of that? :ph34r::P

(Edit: agree with Kobold's ninja-ing.) 

Got it, just before someone else beat me to the punch. (For….skimmers? Who only read the info boxes because….because reading anything else on the wiki is against their religion? Yeah, it seems kind of redundant to me, too.) 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I left it there in case anyone wanted to use another name for the page name and header, like Scribbler for instance since she rarely goes by that name but then my need for uniformity overpowered me so I just used Scribbler anyway :P
So in short: Yes it is probably redundant so I might edit it out.

That aspect actually makes more sense with Firefight, in my opinion. The rule was created by Vondra, but is broken with impunity by practically every Epic in The Dalles. Deathwish flies everywhere he goes, Arsenal creates gadgets constantly, Reader reads everyone within his vicinity, Glamour creates disco lights around him at all times... the number of Epics who follow the rules is smaller than the Epics who break them. Vondra's rule betrays a fundamental lack of understanding about how Epics work, and the consequences of his lack of knowledge can be seen every time an Epic uses his powers when not strictly necessary.

Shiny Sparkle flaunting her power will fit right in then. :ph34r: By the way, Kobold, when Arsenal's head explodes (which could totally summon the real Obliteration :P ) rememer that Shiny Sparkle will also be putting on quite the lightshow to express her bliss.

Removed the Epic name section and added an optional weakness section to the infobox.

Thank you very much.

I added something about her interactions with Autumn to Shiny's entry.