A starting point

cleric

Well I don't think we know if Parshmen could interbreed with other races, but I don't think it ever happens because you know, they're apparently mentally retarded and slaves. I'm not even sure how Parshmen procreate. Like are they ordered to or is it instinctual or do they just live forever. Weird stuff.

They have a "mating form" so I imagine that's what they use to make babies. Brandon's reading made it sound like most of them change forms at certian times for certian tasks and the POV char doesn't understand why some Parshendi keep forms for such long periods without embarrasment, so although they have a choice to change forms, I don't think we know why they decide to do it.

I think his question referred to how the Parshmen that the rest of the world knows breed, since apparently only Parshendi in mating-form can have children. Plus, I have wondered the same thing, since Parshmen do not really seem capable of passion, besides the thing with their corpses maybe.

I think his question referred to how the Parshmen that the rest of the world knows breed, since apparently only Parshendi in mating-form can have children. Plus, I have wondered the same thing, since Parshmen do not really seem capable of passion, besides the thing with their corpses maybe.

Ugh. Thinking on that for awhile, the only thing I could come up with is people breeding them like a rancher would breed cattle. That does not paint a pretty picture. However, I did come up something that might act as a slight counterpoint, Eshondai(sp?) states the slave form is a chosen form that she finds distatsteful, so it might be possible for the Parshmen to change forms...if they wanted to. There's no mention of that in the book by other POV chars, so that can't really be verified. However, this does confirm that Parshmen are the same race as Parshendi, just a different form. So, if the Parshmen aren't mating, it's possible the Parshendi are replenishing the Parshmen ranks, unbeknowest to the rest of Roshar.

So where the hell has Taln been for the last 4500 years? He's obviously not fighting the Desolations anymore since Roshar seems to be alright.

He's been in Damnation, this was explained pretty clearly in the Prelude and Epilogue.

That was dangerous. When he died, he was sent back, no choice. When he survived the Desolation, he was supposed to go back as well. Back to that place that he dreaded. Back to that place of pain and fire.

Taln hasn't been fighting the Desolations for the past 4500 years because there hasn't been a Desolation for the past 4500, when he shows up at the end it is because a new desolation has just begun.

• Chaos locked this topic