Agreed. They're a climactic event, so if they're used at any point, it should be as a last-ditch attempt at survival. I can't decide—would any of our characters think using nukes against Obliteration would work? 

Yes, I remember. Had I only known about Iconoclast then, I would have known better. :P

Probably not. He'd be in Hawaii before the first particles of radiation hit him, and I think most of our characters would be smart enough to figure that out. I think it'd be more likely for someone to try hitting Astoria with one to take out the dangerously OP Epics there, or for an invading force to try using a small tactical nuke to crack open the force field surrounding Corvallis.

Or use one on Iconoclast. That is a perfectly acceptable response to a threat. :P

Agreed. They're a climactic event, so if they're used at any point, it should be as a last-ditch attempt at survival. I can't decide—would any of our characters think using nukes against Obliteration would work? 

Yes, I remember. Had I only known about Iconoclast then, I would have known better. :P

Hopefully they would realise that it would be as pointless as shooting him. It isn't like his teleport has any range.

hahaha now I am interested, what is Project September? :P

and on the subject of Obliteration, I like that he is basically invincible against any of our characters. You can't trap him, you can't pin him down, you can't overwhelm him with damage, you can only keep him at bay.

Probably not. He'd be in Hawaii before the first particles of radiation hit him, and I think most of our characters would be smart enough to figure that out. I think it'd be more likely for someone to try hitting Astoria with one to take out the dangerously OP Epics there, or for an invading force to try using a small tactical nuke to crack open the force field surrounding Corvallis.

Or use one on Iconoclast. That is a perfectly acceptable response to a threat. :P

A big explosion is probably the best way to kill him. He usually keeps his pieces close by, so anything that wiped out the city would almost certainly get each and every last bit of him.

Hopefully they would realise that it would be as pointless as shooting him. It isn't like his teleport has any range.

and on the subject of Obliteration, I like that he is basically invincible against any of our characters. You can't trap him, you can't pin him down, you can't overwhelm him with damage, you can only keep him at bay.

I didn't think any of our characters would try that with him—I think The Dalles' most likely response would be evacuation. Although this is still back when Obliteration had the cool down period between porting, so those who didn't know about his automatic teleportation PI might think they could get him within that two-minute window. They'd be wrong, but someone might think of it as a last desperate plan. 

It was a suggestion I delivered to Twi for how Lightwards might go about attempting to destroy Portland with a small nuclear weapon. Named for this song, it was unheard of for its time but is now fully defunct with the other plans that have been made for the city.

As for Arsenal: at this current time, Arsenal would happily destroy The Dalles if the alternative was letting another Epic take it. The thing about Arsenal is that he's already fully corrupted by his constant power use, but he's kept in line by the pride he has at keeping up his obligations. That pride would be compromised by seeing the city taken over by another Epic, and rather than suffer that affront to his pride, he would attempt to do as much damage to the city as possible before heading out of the city borders and heading for Alaska.

As for Arsenal: at this current time, Arsenal would happily destroy The Dalles if the alternative was letting another Epic take it. The thing about Arsenal is that he's already fully corrupted by his constant power use, but he's kept in line by the pride he has at keeping up his obligations. That pride would be compromised by seeing the city taken over by another Epic, and rather than suffer that affront to his pride, he would attempt to do as much damage to the city as possible before heading out of the city borders and heading for Alaska.

:blink: Quick! Someone stroke his ego before he hightails it for Juneau! Khione can't know he exists! 

Every time Edgerunner calls him Arse, The Dalles' prospects grow a little bit darker. :ph34r:

It wasn't the vile Epics that destroyed the world, but the nicest of them all. See how Edgerunner's friendly nickname for Arsenal became a not-so-friendly retreat into the open arms of a weather goddess. Plus, how you can get a job as a gold dredger off the coast of Nome. Story at 11. 

There's an Epic I've been thinking about making a part of the Corvallis government. (Sort of. He'd be better described as an 'interested third party.' As such he might float around a little between the cities. And he's more than likely to play both sides of the conflict, as well.) 

Accord/Witness: (Haven't quite decided yet.)

Primary Power: Witnessing: Can make any contract between two parties binding. Binding as in they are physically compelled to carry it out; neither can break it, even if they want to. They are also compelled to comply to any additional terms (IE, penalties for not completing their part of the contract) if necessary. Contracts are rendered void if the participants do not sign of their own free will. (Under duress is fine, but it Hypno or another mind-control Epic were to force someone to sign, it wouldn't work.)

Secondary/Passive: Teleportation: Can instantly teleport to anywhere he has previously been. 

Both of these abilities may be gifted, to up to twelve people while retaining power himself. (So thirteen total.)

MO: Having no offensive powers to speak of, he will give his services to any who ask, but he always exacts a price for his services. (Often hidden in large amounts of legal jargon within the contracts.) His end goal is to slowly gain power and resources until he controls Corvallis, and eventually Oregon. At the moment though, he only has a few dozen vanillas and a small handful of minor Epics in his service, and the current chaos seems like a perfect opportunity to increase his power. 

Do you think he could work/add an interesting element to the overall storyline, Comatose? 

Edited by Aonar Faileas

There's an Epic I've been thinking about making a part of the Corvallis government. (Sort of. He'd be better described as an 'interested third party.' As such he might float around a little between the cities. And he's more than likely to play both sides of the conflict, as well.) 

Primary Power: Witnessing: Can make any contract between two parties binding. Binding as in they are physically compelled to carry it out; neither can break it, even if they want to. They are also compelled to comply to any additional terms (IE, penalties for not completing their part of the contract) if necessary. Contracts are rendered void if the participants do not sign of their own free will. (Under duress is fine, but it Hypno or another mind-control Epic were to force someone to sign, it wouldn't work.)

Secondary/Passive: Teleportation: Can instantly teleport to anywhere he has previously been. When in danger, he is instantly teleported to the nearest possible location where he will no longer be in danger.

Both of these abilities may be gifted, to up to twelve people while retaining power himself. (So thirteen total.)

MO: Having no offensive powers to speak of, he will give his services to any who ask, but he always exacts a price for his services. (Often hidden in large amounts of legal jargon within the contracts.) His end goal is to slowly gain power and resources until he controls Corvallis, and eventually Oregon. At the moment though, he only has a few dozen vanillas and a small handful of minor Epics in his service, and the current chaos seems like a perfect opportunity to increase his power. 

Do you think he could work/add an interesting element to the overall storyline, Comatose? 

I actually think that if you gave him a PI, he'd be a fantastic person to help rid Astoria of its government.  :ph34r:

Lightsong's monkey really does control the upvotes. I just revealed Timeport's weakness in a post, and only got 3 upvotes for it  :ph34r:  :P

I seem to have accidentally marked the whole subforum as read, so I haven't actually read your post yet.

Doing so now... :ph34r:

I actually think that if you gave him a PI, he'd be a fantastic person to help rid Astoria of its government.  :ph34r:

His teleportation could always be expanded into a full PI. :ph34r: ....I'm not really sure how the ability to forge unbreakable contracts between people could stop the Astorian government, though.

His teleportation could always be expanded into a full PI. :ph34r: ....I'm not really sure how the ability to forge unbreakable contracts between people could stop the Astorian government, though.

That is a distinct possibility  :ph34r: Forcing the Metal to sign a contract that says somewhere to "help me rule Astoria" surrounded by a bunch of legal jargon? :P

That is a distinct possibility  :ph34r: Forcing the Metal* to sign a contract that says somewhere to "help me rule Astoria" surrounded by a bunch of legal jargon? :P

Therein lies the problem. Nobody forces the Metal to do anything. :P He'd need to get something out of the contract appealing enough to convince him not to read the fine print.

Therein lies the problem. Nobody forces the Metal to do anything. :P He'd need to get something out of the contract appealing enough to convince him not to read the fine print.

...true, but still! :P Exactly.  :P

2356c6bcc1b158196230e71bfd86ffb2.jpg

Why thank you dear sir.  :ph34r:  :lol:

Edited by mail-mi

Secondary/Passive: Teleportation: Can instantly teleport to anywhere he has previously been. 

I'd be concerned that if Rainmaker had this sort of Epic at her disposal, she could/would have forced every Epic and Vanilla in Corvallis to sign a binding contract of loyalty on penalty of death upon entry into the city. She wouldn't even need Euphoria if everyone in the city is forced to be utterly loyal and obedient to her.

I'd be concerned that if Rainmaker had this sort of Epic at her disposal, she could/would have forced every Epic and Vanilla in Corvallis to sign a binding contract of loyalty on penalty of death upon entry into the city. She wouldn't even need Euphoria if everyone in the city is forced to be utterly loyal and obedient to her.

Oh trust me, she wouldn't want to do that. ;) The price would be far too high, assuming she values her life and control of her city.

But what if he made a contract with her for a set number of.favors in return for a place to.stay and normals to control.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

...Bother. Why did I start posting in that thread. See what you've don Twi and Kobold?

Well here I am. Maybe I might join the Corvallis thread. Need to find the energy to read it first though....

Every time Edgerunner calls him Arse, The Dalles' prospects grow a little bit darker. :ph34r:

Oh ye of little faith. She never calls him that to his face. :P only behind his face.   

Yeah, that's my thought too. He'd have to have Lucentia force him to, and then that'd be pointless.  

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

...Bother. Why did I start posting in that thread. See what you've don Twi and Kobold?

Well here I am. Maybe I might join the Corvallis thread. Need to find the energy to read it first though....

Welcome. Welcome. :) :) :) If you enjoyed MBI, just imagine how much you'll enjoy the insanity that makes up Oregon. ;)