Stormlight 2 Title

ADIMORTIS

Well, I just wanted to connect this to information we already know. Brandon has said that Shallan is going to have three apprenticeships in the SA. First Jasnah, second a Herald and third Hoid. And the Liar of Partinel cheaters available suggest that Hoid can use lightweaving. Just saying ...

I'd really like to see a link and quote for that, as it is all news to me. I have a bit of a hard time crediting such information being divulged without it being common knowledge.

Sorry about that, I'll be sure to link in the future. Thanks for the welcome!

No, it's totally fine. I had literally just publicly mounted my link-tastic high horse a few hours before you posted, so I was basically inside-joking, but you were a first-time poster, so it didn't work that well. :\

Edited by Kurkistan

Wow, that is awesome that Eshonai is probably book four.

I am so excited for the next Stormlight books!!! Yes, multiple exclamation points were necessary.

EDIT:

I have a vague memory of Brandon hinting Shallan's book might be called "The Shattered Plains" a long time ago. I'm glad he decided to drop that since it sounds like a natural history book or something - not inappropriate for Shallan, just a bit dull.

Yeah, Mi'ch reported that a long time ago. Words of Radiance is far superior.

Ok I am clearly going crazy. Brandon HAS deffinately said that Shallan will have three apprenticeships, but the best I can find in the interview database is a reference to her beginning her first apprenticeship in tWoK. Does anyone recognise this quote? Or did I have a hyper convincing dream?

As a side opinion, I think Dalinar will stay alive and well through book 5 (though he could die at the end). This is not because of his flashback, but because I think Brandon's comments are a bit of a red herring. I think it is likely someone may die before their flashback book, but I don't think it will be Dalinar.

That could also give tie into the five book break as well.

I'm even more excited for this book now. Presumably the title has something to do with Shallan (since Book of Endless Pages did), but I think its worth noting that the in world Way of Kings had more to do with Dalinar than Kaladin.

I really like the title, it fits in well with the feel of the Stormlight Archive. I'm guessing that in this book we will more than likely get the next Radiant words for the Lightweavers then(duh). Pretty obvious I guess but then again nothing is ever certain with Sanderson.

Ok I am clearly going crazy. Brandon HAS deffinately said that Shallan will have three apprenticeships, but the best I can find in the interview database is a reference to her beginning her first apprenticeship in tWoK. Does anyone recognise this quote? Or did I have a hyper convincing dream?

I certainly hope it was your dream *shudders* The very idea of Shallan apprenticing with Hoid is beyond monstrous.

Still, the title is OK, and yes, it is still referring to in-world book title.

Matthew Tidman ‏@Espeon200

@BrandSanderson is the plan still for all books in the series to be named after in-world books?

Expand

Feb 28 Brandon Sanderson Brandon Sanderson ‏@BrandSanderson

@Espeon200 Yes.

@Kurkistan - I have no idea how to link twitter.

3) Are the Heralds native to Roshar?

RAFO (Man, you're good at asking those, aren't you?)

The heralds may not be native to Roshar and may be from Yolen and as such they may have carried over some terminology when developing their new almighty given powers, like Lightweaving.

Well, I just wanted to connect this to information we already know. Brandon has said that Shallan is going to have three apprenticeships in the SA. First Jasnah, second a Herald and third Hoid. And the Liar of Partinel cheaters available suggest that Hoid can use lightweaving. Just saying ...

I was quite surprised to see you say this.

Falling into line with the others who questioned this. I only found one thing about Shallan and apprenticeship:

The balance of what to provide and what to withhold has more to do with not bogging down this story with details for a future story than it does with trying to tease. In my mind, this book is three things: Kaladin's experiences as a bridgeman 2) Dalinar's decision to do what he does at the end of the book 3) Shallan's first apprenticeship. I wanted to keep the narrative focused on those things, and provide climaxes dealing with those three concepts. Other secrets and teases are more intended to begin setting up future stories.

source

The Q&A-thread here on the forum doesn't give any hint about Shallan's apprenticeships. So now I'm very curious.

I was quite surprised to see you say this.

Troll Level: Expert :P

That quote is bugging me... I swear it sounds familiar, waaaaay back from the early days when I joined the fandom. But it could be coming from a theory. I think it's oddly specific to be from a theory, though. I'm going to do some poking around and see if I can dig anything up.

Shallan's first apprenticeship.

I read this as implying that Shallan has at least two apprenticeships.

Who could she apprentice with after Jasnah? I think that her second apprenticeship will be with our favorite vandal, the daughter of winds and kings, Baxil's mistress.

Well, that certainly does imply multiple apprentiships. But the whole Hoid and Herald thing is pretty unfounded at the moment. The only connection Shallan and Shalash have at the moment is that one is named after the other. I must say though, reading a passage with both of them in it would be fairly obnoxious, mixing up the names. XD

... The only connection Shallan and Shalash have at the moment is that one is named after the other. ...

<snarky sarcasm>Besides Shash's prime attribute being creativity and Shallan amazing artistic abilities and the gender thing, which could otherwise complicate apprenticeships. </snarky sarcasm>

Yeah, I agree with you about the similar name thing being a potential pain.

Edited by hoser

<snarky sarcasm>Except for the fact that Baxil's mistress, almost certainly Shalash, seems to have pretty much gone the exact opposite direction from her attributes, destroying rather than creating, making her someone who Shallan would not get along with particularly well</snarky sarcasm> :P/>

<snarky sarcasm>Except for the fact that Baxil's mistress, almost certainly Shalash, seems to have pretty much gone the exact opposite direction from her attributes, destroying rather than creating, making her someone who Shallan would not get along with particularly well</snarky sarcasm> :P/>/>

Yeah, Shallan is a murderer and a thief, but Shalash refuses to steal stuff when she could easily do so, so Shallan's kleptomania would probably get in the way of Shallan's apprenticing with Shalash. <_<

Seriously, I am curious about whether Brandon will start redeeming the renegade Heralds. I have a sneaky hope that Jezrien has had a plan all along, and will be helping out now that the desolation is upon us. There may also be hope for Shalash's redemption, but she does seem pretty crazy right now.

Right, having sacked my brain all day, I have an idea.

Many brain cells ... died, to bring us this information.

When I met Brandon in late 2011, I asked him a few questions. One was about Shallan. Here is the link. I think that he must have mentioned that Shallan has three apprenticeships planned, and that one is with a Herald and one with Hoid. I didn't write it in my notes, then it got lost in the back of my thoughts. I am not sure how convincing you guys will find this however!

Interestingly, the next question i asked was this. Brandon said that we have already seen someone in the SA who can use lightweaving. Maybe he was hinting to me that it was Shallan!

Next time I ask questions of Brandon, I am doing an audio recording.

I personally don't believe that Shallan will be able to Lightweave. My money's still on Sigzil, if only due to his connection to Hoid. In my mind, Shallan fits perfectly in Order 6, which as hoser said, has attributes that seem to fit her well: creativity and honesty. She was creative the whole book, and it seems that the honesty is something she's working towards, much as Kaladin had to work towards being able to try to protect people once again. The problem I see is that the essence Lucentia, which contains the root "Luc," meaning light, is almost certainly connected to whatever orders can Lightweave. However, Lucentia is seemingly attached to Order 4, which means it is probably only shared with Orders 3 or 5, not 6. It could be that we're just misunderstanding the chart here, but I don't think it's possible for Shallan to be in Order 6 and Lightweave, and in my opinion, there's much more evidence tying her to Order 6 than tying her to Lightweaving.