What Do You Look Like?

Guest Cognizantastic

Im considering either dying tips or getting highlights of purple or blue. (My hair is black/brown) (Firstly I don't have the knowledge or money to do so but I'm dreaming). Or even a short term dye that'll wash out in a couple weeks. My hair just takes forever to grow so I don't want to mess up and have to cut a bunch off. 

1 hour ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Im considering either dying tips or getting highlights of purple or blue. (My hair is black/brown) (Firstly I don't have the knowledge or money to do so but I'm dreaming). Or even a short term dye that'll wash out in a couple weeks. My hair just takes forever to grow so I don't want to mess up and have to cut a bunch off. 

Do it. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Did you do yours yourself? Did you buy the dye? Did you go to a hairdresser?

Usually with dark hair, if you want a bright color you'll need to bleach the part you want colored first.

Just now, Deliiiiiightful said:

Isn't bleach gonna make the hair all dead and gross?

Nah, I had a friend that used to bleach her hair and it wasn't that bad. Obviously you use a special bleach for hair, not the stuff used for clothes :P

9 minutes ago, bleeder said:

One of my closest friends dyes her hair various colors all the time. I could get some input from her if you'd like.

Please! You guys are my current only source of information :P

Actually, a friend of mine just dyed her hair. Im gonna ask her about it.

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Ah, okay. 

What color is your hair currently?

Its dark brownish/blackish.

To give you some idea, I put up a picture of Jyn Erso on Facebook and a relative who knows me well said "wait.....is that you?" She's clearly not me but there's a basic resemblance.

Just now, Deliiiiiightful said:

To give you some idea, I put up a picture of Jyn Erso on Facebook and a relative who knows me well said "wait.....is that you?" She's clearly not me but there's a basic resemblance.

Headcanon: Del is secretly Felicity Jones.

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

Nope, she's from Star Wars. From galaxy far, far away :D

Me? A long time ago? I'm not saying I'm a world hopper or anything.....

TBH she'd be my profile pic if I didn't really like my current chanuka pic.

Edited by Deliiiiiightful

1 hour ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Yeah, you'd definitely need to lighten first if you wanted to get any sort of bold color effect.

And as for damage to the hair, it really depends on the starting health of the stuff to begin with. People who do a lot of recoloring all the time do tend to wind up with damaged ends, but I think for a first-timer you'd probably be fine.  Especially if you just want to do the ends - worst case scenario, things get damaged and you have to trim it off down the road and end up with slightly shorter hair.

I do recommend getting it done by a professional stylist, though; they know what they're doing and have the right products to do it well.

(And yes, this is very much a "do as I say not as I do" sort of thing from the woman who is planning to dump manic panic into her next henna mix just to see what it does to the roots of her hair.)

7 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Did you do yours yourself? Did you buy the dye? Did you go to a hairdresser?

I did mine myself. And I bought the dye. I've bleached the tips of my hair, but dyed the whole head. The purple won't be as vibrant on the non-bleached portions, but it will show up a little bit and make it look more put together. Basically what Kaymyth said, you'll be fine if your hair is already healthy, and bleaching the ends is the way to go.

Doing your hair at home is fine and costs less. But I recommend getting someone to help you (in my case, my mom) with parts like the back. For brands, I recommend Manic Panic. Their bleach kit works well and comes with a tinting brush you can hold onto and use to apply the dye. They have a variety of colors, but for I like Blue Moon and Violet Night the best. They're on Amazon and also have their own website.

Hope that helps. :) 

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

Short hair isn't as nice when it's freezing :P

I might take a picture once I stop looking like I just rolled out of bed (which I did).

I recently got an haircut after 3 months of wild growth....I am constantly wearing a Hat now XD