What Do You Look Like?

Guest Cognizantastic

On 3/7/2017 at 9:13 PM, Elenion said:

I'm one of those guys who is perpetually skinny.  I'm 5'10" and 145 pounds, and I eat more food than most, mostly carbs. Whatever I do, I can't gain weight, and my exercise doesn't make me lose weight either.  I'm just stuck at 145, which, admittedly, isn't that far off from normal, but my point is that our bodies do indeed have a weight that they want to stay at, or at least mine does.

Most people aren't aware of it, but the human body grows up until the mid-twenties, especially on males. I do not know how old you are, but if you are under 25, then you are still growing, perhaps not in height, but you definitely aren't done which is why there is such a physical difference in between early twenties males and late twenties ones.

It is also why I hate when late twenties, early thirties actors are being used to play out early twenties roles. Everyone can tell they are a decade too old even if their face looks young enough.

As for weight, my husband took at least 15 pounds in between his late teens/early twenties and now. None of it was fat, he just filled in: bigger arms, bigger chest, stronger legs, these sort of things and no he doesn't really work out.

5 hours ago, Elenion said:

@maxal I'm 17, so that gives me a while to go. Thanks.

Oh, 17 is still very young: most people think growth (or puberty) stops at 16, but this isn't true. Sure, you have probably reached your final height or you are very close to it, but your body is still adjusting. Think about it, you went from a child to a man's shape within a few years: your bones got very tall, very fast, but your muscles haven't followed. It is why it isn't rare to see teenagers with back problems and/or abnormal pains as their frame has a hard time supporting the added weight of their new height.

Remember, bones grow much faster than muscles: you will grow bigger. This is also true for women, but since women aren't, on average, as tall as most men and since their muscle mass is usually less, it is much less apparent. I would however state there is a reason why top athletes within their respective fields usually are within their late twenties as opposed to their early twenties and/or late teens: those years matter.

If you are still very hungry, then this is a sign your body is still growing. For instance, my kids eat a lot. They can eat as much as an adult despite having much smaller stomachs. Growing demands a lot of energy, hence a lot of food. I worry about my grocery bill once they reach their teenage years :ph34r:

So do not worry too much about it.

44 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Yep a few pgs back I posted 3 pics from my teens to 20's to current 36. You will naturally expand in time.

I missed those, I'll have to go back and check. If I look at pictures of my husband from age 20 to now, which is 37, the changes are phenomenal. Myself though, not so much: most of what changed were caused by the pregnancies more than age. This being said, I have much more endurance and strength than I used to. I would leave 20 years old me panting yards behind in any physical endurance contest.

Well, I would bet that I have you all beat. Even you, @Elenion. I'm millimeters shy of 6' but I weigh ~110 lbs. I'm 19. I had a surgery a few years ago, and while I was admittedly a few inches shorter then, I lost all appetite and went down to 85 lbs... 85 lbs on a 5'9" frame does not look good, let me tell you. If you have ever seen pictures of holocaust victims, that's basically what I looked like for a few months. I still don't look much better. It doesn't help that my bones are already kinda funky and pointy. But yeah, skin tight across bones is not the sexy pool body anybody healthy wants...

Before anyone freaks out, it's not that I have a bad body image, eating is just a pain. I like food, but the preparation and consumption of it is too time consuming. This means that I don't eat well. I literally look for things that are high calorie simply because I know that I will last longer if I eat them. I can, and will, certainly use any fat stores I might (read: probably not) get out of it...

When I was a kid, I wondered why we didn't have to eat more. Now I understand the basic chemistry/physics of food, and I am blown away by how much we eat. 2000 nutritional calories/day is, if I remember the conversions correctly, a bit over 8 million joules every day. Let me just say, what the hell man?! That is a ridiculously large amount of energy for a lump that weighs in (in the USA, anyway) at around 80 kg. I mean, I realize the torque our tendons can exert on our bones is terrible, considering the location of connection, but still... Even sedentary people that are skinnier still need ~75% of that 8 mil. 6 million joules a day to sit there seems ludicrous to me. Try tossing that much energy into an impulse on me... Yeah, not pretty.

No, I just don't bother eating for long enough that I cross said wall... regularly... I frequently eat maybe 300-500 calories in a day, and only realize it at the end of the day. Then I just eat a cookie and go to bed anyway...

I used to fence, which was fun, but that was before the surgery, so my body couldn't... circulate well, so I was ridiculously slow. No matter how much training I put in, I literally hit a wall in how much I could progress, and I only found out later that it wasn't a matter of talent, just that my circulatory system was restricted by my ribs growing concavely. The surgery was basically breaking all my ribs and putting a small steel bar behind them to hold them in a normal spot. It's normally a couple days in the hospital on serious pain meds (my understanding is that it is one of, if not the most painful surgery there is) and then you go home with a bunch of serious pain meds. We are talking not one, but two epidurals for five days, plus oxy, tylenol, and another narcotic that I can't remember the name of, among other assorted things to help balance the system. I got fevers for the next three months and barely ate, so I was in the hospital for a week and out of commission for an entire summer break. Needless to say, I suck at convalescing. I got to play a lot of video games and read a TON of books, though, so it wasn't all bad.

But yeah, the whole experience was 'fun.' Getting the IV in was hilarious. I am a very odd hemophobe, a combination of needles and blood, but for some reason real blood doesn't bother me, but medical descriptions of it do... to a fairly extreme degree. I can read the Berserk manga just fine, but WebMD is my worst nightmare. When they inserted the IV, my BP dropped to 60/40. When I got the IV put in this last year to get the bar out, the machine couldn't even read my BP for a bit, and then finally read 60/38 once it had gone up a touch. The room got very crowded very quickly both times, but we just told them it was fine and would go away. My father was just laughing the whole time the second time around because we had done it before.

11 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

When I was a kid, I wondered why we didn't have to eat more. Now I understand the basic chemistry/physics of food, and I am blown away by how much we eat. 2000 nutritional calories/day is, if I remember the conversions correctly, a bit over 8 million joules every day. Let me just say, what the hell man?! That is a ridiculously large amount of energy for a lump that weighs in (in the USA, anyway) at around 80 kg. I mean, I realize the torque our tendons can exert on our bones is terrible, considering the location of connection, but still... Even sedentary people that are skinnier still need ~75% of that 8 mil. 6 million joules a day to sit there seems ludicrous to me. Try tossing that much energy into an impulse on me... Yeah, not pretty.

Well, remember that your body is fueling an organic supercomputer sitting snug and happy inside your skull.  Your brain runs on actual electricity.  So your body has to take food and turn it into biochemical electrical impulses, and that takes some doing.

12 hours ago, A Budgie said:

I have hair that naturally goes curly after I wash it, to the extent that sometimes when I wear my hair down (I often wear it up) people think I've curled my hair...

My hair starts curling when it gets below my chin and I love it

5 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Well, remember that your body is fueling an organic supercomputer sitting snug and happy inside your skull.  Your brain runs on actual electricity.  So your body has to take food and turn it into biochemical electrical impulses, and that takes some doing.

When you phrase it like that......

16 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

We are incredibly inefficient lifeforms.

10 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

My understanding is that your brain only uses 400 calories a day, or about a fifth of your total energy expenditures (in a 2000 calorie diet). The idea that my heart pumping blood and generating a vacuum with my lungs takes that much energy every day... wow.

5 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

We are incredibly inefficient lifeforms.

This. This exactly. :(

Edited by Djarskublar
missed a word

1 hour ago, Djarskublar said:

My understanding is that your brain only uses 400 calories a day, or about a fifth of your total energy expenditures (in a 2000 calorie diet). The idea that my heart pumping blood and generating a vacuum with my lungs takes that much energy every day... wow.

This. This exactly. :(

We also accomplish a heeeeeeeee k of a lot for inefficient life forms, you gotta give humanity some credit. :)

42 minutes ago, Delightful said:

We also accomplish a heeeeeeeee k of a lot for inefficient life forms, you gotta give humanity some credit. :)

Yep. We've polluted the planet. Killed of entire species. Fought amongst ourselves. Destroyed our planet. Junked up space.

Yet we're still amazing.

30 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Yep. We've polluted the planet. Killed of entire species. Fought amongst ourselves. Destroyed our planet. Junked up space.

Yet we're still amazing.

Oh, don't be so depressing. We've also built computers, gone to space, walked on the moon and sent robots to Mars. While spreading we have certainly destroyed many habitats through carelessness and over-consumption, but we have also brought dozens of species back from the brink of extinction, and are on the verge of recreating extinct species in the lab. We have painted the Mona Lisa. Composed the Four Seasons. Written the brothers Karamazov, the Lord of the Rings, and so much more. 
Sure, humanity can be terrible, but we are also really super cool. 

Humans have capacity that no other creature has. We have the capacity to do truly incredible, wonderful, beautiful things.
We also have the capacity to destroy. It's a great responsibility.

And on energy use - just think of how much stuff our bodies do! We literally are repairing ourselves at every given second! Sure, we eat a lot - but we use a lot of that food! We run organic supercomputers (thanks Kaymyth for that one!), we can lift ridiculous weights, we grow, we move, we breathe, we regulate temperature, and we make art. 

Edited by Erunion

1 hour ago, Kestrel said:

Man, all y'all complaining about growing. I wish I'd grow. But I haven't for quite a while and I think I'm done. Life sucks. I'm so short and ugly.

Don't think like that. You are a beautiful person. You'd make a weird looking tree, but you're a beautiful person.

sidenote, we should rename this thread "the other random stuff"

5 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Man, all y'all complaining about growing. I wish I'd grow. But I haven't for quite a while and I think I'm done. Life sucks. I'm so short and ugly.

Ditto honorspren, Don't say things like that, don't think things like that. We all know here firsthand what an amazing and beautiful person you are. 

3 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Don't think like that. You are a beautiful person. You'd make a weird looking tree, but you're a beautiful person.

sidenote, we should rename this thread "the other random stuff"

I'm pretty sure *everyone* would make a weird lookin tree heh.

But I'm not tho. I still have a terrible mullet bc I'm trying to grow out my hair again bc this stupid pixie cut made me look smaller and more like a child. I never should have done it. Honestly I'll always look like I'm twelve.