What does Duralumin + Atium or Duralumin + Lerasium do?

WayneSpren

We've already seen Atium and Duralumin, as for Lerasium given that it's a permanent effect that seems to burn instantly anyway I'm not sure it would do anything. Maybe if you can figure out the trick to its other uses it would do something.

We've already seen Atium and Duralumin, as for Lerasium given that it's a permanent effect that seems to burn instantly anyway I'm not sure it would do anything. Maybe if you can figure out the trick to its other uses it would do something.

Yes, but what exactly did the Atium do? It was never explained.

There's a WoB explaining it.

Basically, it let him see much farther into the future and enhanced his mind to process it, allowing him to understand that Ruin was in a "checkmate" situation so long as the final moves were made correctly.

Specifically, it allowed him to see and understand that if he allowed himself to be killed, Vin would sacrifice herself to kill Ati in her grief and the world would be saved by Sazed, but if he survived things would go very bad very quickly because Ruin would continue the slow destruction of the world. At that point, even if Vin eventually sacrificed herself Sazed would not be there to take up the Shards

As for Duralumin Lerasium, do you mean it as an Alloy? Because that would give a Duralumin Misting.  If you mean burning Duralumin when you burn Lerasium... we don't know what burning regular Lerasium does, so I'll take a guess: Make all Llama's grow porcupine quills (prove me wrong!)

As for Duralumin Lerasium, do you mean it as an Alloy? Because that would give a Duralumin Misting.  If you mean burning Duralumin when you burn Lerasium... we don't know what burning regular Lerasium does, so I'll take a guess: Make all Llama's grow porcupine quills (prove me wrong!)

Burning Lerasium just makes you a Mistborn, or enhances your strength if you're already a Mistborn.

I think there's a WOB that Lerasium has another effect besides granting Allomancy. What it is, however, has been infinitely RAFOed.

But there seems to be some kind of trick to getting it to do anything else, we know that were most Mistborn to burn it it would just make them a stronger Allomancer.

Here's the WoBs mentioned in this thread but not sourced:

Sylos (15 October 2008)
I was happy when Elend finally burned duralumin with atium. I was holding my breath hoping that someone would eventually do it. However we didn't really get any info as to what Elend experienced. Does a duralumin-enhanced atium burn allow a person to see significantly farther into the future? If so, being that Elend's army was dying all around him did he get to see into the afterlife? Also if you could tell us what he saw that would be awesome. Did something he saw make him not want to avoid Marshes strike?

On a similar note if someone burned electrum with duralumin would they get to see significantly into their own future?

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)
There is much here that I can't say, but I'll give as much as I can. Elend saw Preservation's ultimate plan, and Elend's own part in it. What he saw made him realize he didn't want to kill Marsh, and that his own death would actually help save the world. Like a master chess player, he suddenly saw and understand every possible move his enemy could make. He saw that Ruin was check-mated, because there was one thing that Ruin was not willing to do. Something that both Elend and Vin could do, if needed. And it's what they did.

So, in answer to your question, Elend stayed his hand. This is one of the reasons why I changed my mind and decided that Marsh had to live through the end of the book. Elend spared him; I needed to too.
(source)

17th Shard
If a Mistborn burns lerasium, as in, not just ingests it, what effect would it grant Allomantically?

Brandon Sanderson
That is a RAFO. It would do something, but the thing you've gotta remember is that, when ingesting lerasium for the first time and gaining the powers, your body is actually burning it. Think of lerasium as a metal anyone can burn. Does that make sense?

17TH SHARD
It does.

BRANDON SANDERSON
By burning it you gain access to those powers. It rewrites your spiritual DNA, and there are ways to do really cool things with lerasium that I don't see how anyone would know. Were most Mistborn to just burn it, it would rewrite their genetic code to increase their power as an Allomancer.
(source)

BRANDON SANDERSON (paraphrased)
Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.
(source)

(I wish I could make a bot to automatically post these. Hm. Might be possible...)

Hmmm...

I hadn't heard about this.

In reference to the original question, it would be cool to see some kind of super Mistborn, but I don't think it will happen.

That would require spikes or a second bead. Duralumin has no effect on total power release/expenditure, only rate of usage.

Edited by natc

That would require spikes or a second bead. Duralumin has no effect on total power release/expenditure, only rate of usage.

Now I'm wondering how many beads it would take to be the equivalent to TLR.

Chris King (Miyabi)

This is the last one here we have from Mistborn: Did the Lord Ruler use lerasium to gain his super Allomantic abilities or did he grant that to himself with the Well's power? If he used the bead, does he count as one of the nine original Allomancers that Sazed mentions?
Brandon Sanderson
Excellent question. He did not use the bead. In all of this he granted himself basically, he rebuilt himself to be extremely powerful and he did not use one of the beads

No matter how many times you burned Lerasium to enhance your Allomancy, you would never be like the Lord Ruler. His unique abilities required compounding Allomancy and Feruchemy together, so unless you found a way to make yourself a Full Feruchemist, you'd still just be a really, really powerful Allomancer. And eventually you'd just Ascend and become Preservation. 

I know that, I meant in relation to his Allomantic strength. He was able to push on Vin's Hemalurgic Spike easily, is that 4 beads? 7? 100?

No matter how many times you burned Lerasium to enhance your Allomancy, you would never be like the Lord Ruler. His unique abilities required compounding Allomancy and Feruchemy together, so unless you found a way to make yourself a Full Feruchemist, you'd still just be a really, really powerful Allomancer. And eventually you'd just Ascend and become Preservation.

We're referring to his absurd allomantic strength that can soothe thousands and push broken glass as well as metal blocked by blood. Only his internal powers can be feruchemical.

He is spiked I guess, plus he pretty much did a DIY job on his soul judging from that WOB about his unused bead. Sliver too. Clearly it'd take a few dozen Elends to match his known feats, so the actual amount needed is likely completely impractical.

It's my understanding that he achieved these feats of Allomantic strength through reverse Compounding, fueling his Allomancy through Feruchemy. We have these WoBs to support that:

(source)

DYRING

A coinshot able to store weight can, as you showed us with Wax push in a ridiculously powerful manner, as the weight/mass is the largest factor wich controls the push strength.

I'm wondering if the same can be done with soothing(or rioting). If you where to increase your identity, that may/should increase your emotional imprint(or whatever you might call it), would your soothings/riotings become wastly more powerful in a simular way as weight makes steelpushing more powerful?

And if it does, is this how the lord ruler improved his Soothing in such a spectacular fasion?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, the Lord Ruler--don't forget--could compound any Allomancy he wanted. That creates some crazy effects. As for what you discuss in your first question, I don't want to touch too much on Identity yet as I am saving it for later books. Talking too much here might undermine my ability to reveal interesting and cool things in books when the time is right. I like your theory, and it has merit, but I'm not going to give you a yes or a no as it delves too much into what Identity, as an attribute, can do.

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

I continued to ask about the Lord Ruler and his Allomantic strength. There's an upper bound to the amount of power you can get from being a savant. Brandon said that, obviously, the Lord Ruler wasn't using duralumin and Elend could only get that powerful in Soothing using duralumin. He implied that there was a way to Compound to enhance Allomancy. (Note, we have discussed this on the forums a while back. This isn't news.)

(Emphasis mine) 

Edited by Lindel

Sazed claims each of the first Allomancers were as strong as TLR was. I strongly doubt TLR only powered himself up with the Well and only made himself as powerful as a single-bead Mistborn, however, and Sazed wasn't writing to be 100% accurate.

He was a little distracted by the whole "being the most powerful being in the Galaxy" thing

With his new god-like intelligence, I don't think he actually can be distracted anymore. It's interesting to think about. Vin was capable of counting what, a few thousand things in a fraction of a second? I wonder if it's possible to be "smarter" than a Shard, and whether or not certain spoilery people from other novels can come close.

• Chaos locked this topic