WOB The Moon Sceptar Helps With Sel's Proximity Issue with Investiture

My Question on Reddit

I've always wondered why Hoid stole the Moon Sceptre from The Rose Empire. He is collecting investiture, so it must be pivotal.

Is it possible that the Moon Sceptre is connected directly to Dominion and Devotion's investiture (maybe via the moon-rocks?). If you have the Moon Sceptre, you can get around the pesky proximity problem of the magic system(s)?

And the Response

I'll talk about this eventually, but it IS related to the proximity problem--just not in the way you're assuming.

Huh. OH, I'm AFB but didn't Shai say that her people worshiped stones that fell from the sky? Maybe this is somehow related... do we know how many moons Sel has?

Also, isn't it only AonDor that has the "location problem?" Forgery, ChayShan, and Dakhor monks seemed to work fine away from their home countries...

Huh. OH, I'm AFB but didn't Shai say that her people worshiped stones that fell from the sky? Maybe this is somehow related... do we know how many moons Sel has?

Also, isn't it only AonDor that has the "location problem?" Forgery, ChayShan, and Dakhor monks seemed to work fine away from their home countries...

They all lose power away from their homeland, so does AonDor, it just isn't as strong, and unless you hack the system they all stop working off-world.

Shai said her people worshipped moon rocks, and that the original soul stamps were carved from them. I asked Brandon if the moon rocks perhaps were "an out" for the proximity problem, but he basically said no. The Moon Sceptre however has some powerful ability.

My guess is that the Sceptre acts as a Standard for the Dominion of The Rose Empire. Dominion is a pretty fickle shard, but if you had something that was outright the symbol of a particular 'Nation" or 'Dominion', then maybe you could use your investiture when in close proximity to the symbol of the nation. Maybe the Moon Sceptre thinks it IS the Rose Empire, and it's cognitive image is strong enough to make anywhere in the Cosmere part of the Rose Empire.

I am drawing from the ancient roman belief in their War Standards they carried into battle. 

I also asked Brandon "I feel like Shay represents the (potentially) most powerful and game-changing character in the Cosmere. (blah blah investiture rules, but she's pretty damnation smart). Considering the timeline of the cosmere, and the fact that Shay is the only character we've seen declare a vendetta against Hoid, is it possible we might see her again? Has her work rippled in the Cosmere? Does she interest you anymore with the current (odium based) events of the Cosmere?"

He Replied: And yes to all of your questions. (Though I am very hesitant to do another story about her in the same way, as the novella is so good as it is, and a follow-up would have to be really stellar.)

They all lose power with distance, but AonDor is itself boosted by the giant Aon Rao built into Elantris, which also loses effectiveness with distance, so the difference is more dramatic. Before that Aon was fixed the other Aons could still be drawn to some degree of effectiveness, which is probably their natural potency.

@ teknopathetic

Maybe the Moon Sceptre thinks it IS the Rose Empire, and it's cognitive image is strong enough to make anywhere in the Cosmere part of the Rose Empire.

love it - upvote

Note that Brandon said it's related to the proximity problem, not that it necessarily helps with it.

True, but Hoid is collecting investiture, and I doubt he'd run off with it if it wasn't useful. 

Edited by teknopathetic

True, but Hoid is collecting investiture, and I doubt he'd run off with it if it wasn't useful.

It could be something like bringing the Moon Scepter to Elantris would help extend the range of Aons, but Hoid wants to PREVENT that from happening.

It's amusing how Hoid always seems to know more about local magic systems' ins and outs, and loopholes, than the natives do.

He could know more about them then the locals, simply knowing how the base of magic works could give him much needed insight that most would not have. It is also possible that Hoid has some way of analyzing the way the shard and the world it is on is interacting.

I agree that it's more likely than not that it's helpful for using Sel's magics off-world. I was just noting an assumption that I think people made a little too quickly. Assuming the sceptre helps closes off a branch of theoryspace where Hoid did not steal the sceptre to help use Sel's magics off-world.

Moon rocks falling from the sky? That sort of thing isn't normal. What made the rocks fall off of the moon? Odium? If so, why? Is the moon, perhaps, the place the shards dwelt?

Edited by Turos

Could Dominion or Devotion be on the moon instead of directly on the planet? This would possibly explain why Sel is do hard to world hop to (according to WOB)

Could Odium have placed bits of them on the moon and random comets meteorites ( what ever you call random rocks floating about in space )? So as to make it more difficult for the Shards to be reunited. Making Soulstone the meteorites that reentered the atmosphere.

Why would a couple of alien godlike beings who really had no business being here cause major, world-changing repercussions?

The slight shift in the magic system I vaguely remember seeing mentioned somewhere today and the seon/skaze outbreak are big enough.

Do we have a timeline on when the moonrocks fell from the sky?  could simply be related to odium's attack on skai and aona,  doesn't even need for them to be on the moon, seems reasonable that something as dramatic as shattering two shards would have system-wide repercussions.

Also, I like the "moon scepter as stand in for the nation" theory in terms of it allowing access to dominion's power.  that seems downright plausible.  then again, brandon's response in the OP makes me think it must be wrong.

• Chaos locked this topic