A question of alt accounts?

Adamir

I am currently in a forum rp where one of my long term plans requires me to deliver an untraceable anonymous message to another player - am I allowed to use an alt for this, for the select use of sending one message and never touching said account again? I know alts have been used for reputation abuse - up voting yourself, down voting others more than the normally accepted amount, etc. Is there any way to lock the reputation voting for said account, to dissipate moderator concerns?

For context: Not betraying someone in the rp I am in constitutes love and affection, qualities severely lacking in said rp. Everyone and their dog would sell the information that I contacted them if I use my actual account. So far, I have been betrayed three times (that I know of) in one week, and have committed the same number of betrayals. I'm probably going to get betrayed by my alliance once they notice this post on the basis that the anonymous message I need to drop could be betraying them.

Edited by Adamir

For context: Not betraying someone in the rp I am in constitutes love and affection, qualities severely lacking in said rp. Everyone and their dog would sell the information that I contacted them if I use my actual account. So far, I have been betrayed three times (that I know of) in one week, and have committed the same number of betrayals.

:mellow:

This is exactly the reason why you'll never, ever see me in the Sanderson Elimination games. :P

:mellow:

This is exactly the reason why you'll never, ever see me in the Sanderson Elimination games. :P

It has seeped out of Sanderson Elimination into the role playing category in general... No where is safe. The entire forum is doomed! Doomed, I tell you! DOOOOOOMED!!! (All the arguments and broken friendships of Sanderson elimination and debate forums, with none of the almost non-existent positives) Edited by Adamir

It has seeped out of Sanderson Elimination into the role playing category in general... No where is safe. The entire forum is doomed! Doomed, I tell you! DOOOOOOMED!!! (All the arguments and broken friendships of Sanderson elimination and debate forums, with none of the almost non-existent positives)

You should come join the Reckoners RPG. Everyone there is friendly, open, and more concerned with telling a good collaborative story than with any idea of "winning." :)

You should come join the Reckoners RPG. Everyone there is friendly, open, and more concerned with telling a good collaborative story than with any idea of "winning." :)

If the scheming politics of Heirs to the Final Empire haven't crawled in, I will once the one I'm in is over. Thanks!

If the scheming politics of Heirs to the Final Empire haven't crawled in, I will once the one I'm in is over. Thanks!

They won't. The only reason anyone keeps secrets on the Reckoners RPG is for the sake of entertaining each other with plot twists. There's no emphasis on tricking or outmaneuvering each other, and there are no winners. In fact, people often plan out how their characters will die long in advance.

Point is, the Reckoners RPG isn't so much a game as it is a collaborative freewritten fanfiction. There's no scheming or backstabbing, and by the power invested in me as a deputy GM I will make sure there never is any. :)

They won't. The only reason anyone keeps secrets on the Reckoners RPG is for the sake of entertaining each other with plot twists. There's no emphasis on tricking or outmaneuvering each other, and there are no winners. In fact, people often plan out how their characters will die long in advance.

Point is, the Reckoners RPG isn't so much a game as it is a collaborative freewritten fanfiction. There's no scheming or backstabbing, and by the power invested in me as a deputy GM I will make sure there never is any. :)

I remember seeing someone post about a tornado of zombie caribou, or something like that. I'll join as soon as my laptop gets fixed - I'm not planning to rp on my iPhone screen (autocorrect can't handle names less common than Jack or Dave, imagine if I try writing something like Sourcefield or Nightcrawler; both of which I've had to write twice in this post because of autocorrect) Edited by Adamir

I am currently in a forum rp where one of my long term plans requires me to deliver an untraceable anonymous message to another player - am I allowed to use an alt for this, for the select use of sending one message and never touching said account again? I know alts have been used for reputation abuse - up voting yourself, down voting others more than the normally accepted amount, etc. Is there any way to lock the reputation voting for said account, to dissipate moderator concerns?

For context: Not betraying someone in the rp I am in constitutes love and affection, qualities severely lacking in said rp. Everyone and their dog would sell the information that I contacted them if I use my actual account. So far, I have been betrayed three times (that I know of) in one week, and have committed the same number of betrayals. I'm probably going to get betrayed by my alliance once they notice this post on the basis that the anonymous message I need to drop could be betraying them.

I get why you're asking this, and while it's an innocent idea, it's still breaking the rules. If we allowed it for you, there would be other members who would request alt accounts for other similar ideas, mostly in the RPG's. Even I wanted to do an alt account for a joke in an SE game over a year ago. Would've been a simple joke that would've just been more funny than anything else, but it still would've been against the spirit of the game. I think the same goes for Wyrm's RP. If you can get him to send an anonymous message through a different route that works in-game (like hiring a courier for an action to run a message to the player), go for it, but an alt account isn't the way to do it.

I get why you're asking this, and while it's an innocent idea, it's still breaking the rules. If we allowed it for you, there would be other members who would request alt accounts for other similar ideas, mostly in the RPG's. Even I wanted to do an alt account for a joke in an SE game over a year ago. Would've been a simple joke that would've just been more funny than anything else, but it still would've been against the spirit of the game. I think the same goes for Wyrm's RP. If you can get him to send an anonymous message through a different route that works in-game (like hiring a courier for an action to run a message to the player), go for it, but an alt account isn't the way to do it.

Thanks. And is it just me, or are only two posts in this entire thread actually about alt accounts? I'll use an intermediary, like you suggested.

Agreed, this is still against the rules, and I am not compelled to make this the reason to make exceptions for forum games. Anonymity could be maintained by making a burner email and sending the message over email, I don't know.

The only exception to multiple accounts are families with the same IP addresses, obviously, but those people do not technically have two accounts :)

Apologies for just dropping in. I saw that comment and had to address it.

Wyrm betrayed me terribly in MR1. (He says I've never forgiven him for it, but that's a lie. I've forgiven him a long time ago.) That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

And honour doesn't have to die. I've maintained a zero-betrayal record so far in SE, and I intend to continue doing so. It really boils down to your playstyle. Can it be avoided sometimes? Well, no. Sometimes, the GM railroads you and you have to do it. Otherwise, I've never done so. I keep my word, stick to my alliances, and don't betray people. That's just how I roll. And I'm proud of it, and hope to continue doing so.

To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt, but out of the eight players I've associated with in alliances, I betrayed seven. I have no idea how you resist the temptation.

Join us in Sanderson Elimination, where betrayal is par for the course.

I'm with Alvron on this. If betrayal is your thing, then join Sanderson Elimination. You'll have a great time... Right up until someone stabs you in the back (if you haven't retaliated by stabbing them in the back first).