How does this guy put out 6 or 7 books in the amount of time it takes other authors to write 1?

Nah, no one has ever noticed before.

Seriously though, from my understanding it's a result of focus, schedule, and variety.

Focus is pretty obvious. Schedule, he's said a number of times that he treats writing like a 9-5 Monday-Friday job. And variety, he job-hops as often as he feels necessary; if job A is stalled, he just puts it aside and works on job D, then returns to A when it's working for him.

Obviously I'm super simplifying, but that's the basic answer.

I keep telling people, he's actually Hoid. He's simply transcribing his adventures through the cosmere. And you all know what this means...

Reckoners is cosmere.

Before I knew about the Cosmere, even though I had read pretty much all of the books, I had my mind blown when

Nightblood was introduced in Words of Radiance.

I then found out about Hoid and Adonalsium; I was seriously convinced that Calamity was a shard and that Epics had access to a form of investure.

And I have always had the suspicion that, even if Hoid is not real, that Brandon was at least writing himself into the books as that character.

Edited by The Honor Spren

Before I knew about the Cosmere, even though I had read pretty much all of the books, I had my mind blown when Nightblood was introduced in Words of Radiance. I then found out about Hoid and Adonalsium; I was seriously convinced that Calamity was a shard and that Epics had access to a form of investure.

And I have always had the suspicion that, even if Hoid is not real, that Brandon was at least writing himself into the books as that character.

Brandon has said, time and time again, that Hoid is not himself.

Before I knew about the Cosmere, even though I had read pretty much all of the books, I had my mind blown when Nightblood was introduced in Words of Radiance. I then found out about Hoid and Adonalsium; I was seriously convinced that Calamity was a shard and that Epics had access to a form of investure.

Could we put that in spoilers? Not everyone has read WoR yet.

To be fair, Brandon's writing is a lot different from GRRM or (from what I've heard) Rothfuss. Their writings have a more...poetic style to them, a style where every word choice is careful, deliberate and for a reason.

Brandon's prose is more functional and less obtrusive. Not necessarily less powerful- but I imagine not having to agonise over every sentence helps the first draft get done.

To be fair, Brandon's writing is a lot different from GRRM or (from what I've heard) Rothfuss. Their writings have a more...poetic style to them, a style where every word choice is careful, deliberate and for a reason.

Brandon's prose is more functional and less obtrusive. Not necessarily less powerful- but I imagine not having to agonise over every sentence helps the first draft get done.

I also think the process has something to do with it. From listening to Writing Excuses, it seems that even if Brandon were a writer who scrutinized every word choice, he'd still not bother with those things until the first draft were done, instead scrutinizing during the edits.

SO SORRY! Accidental downvote. Someone undo it please please please. :(

fixed!

but um its obvious that he is the lord ruler that is how he has written these books over hundreds of years ago and is slowly releasing them to the public

I agree, and this is one of the reasons I got... don't murder me... bored with Game of Thrones.

I have a short attention span, and the writing style, where he describes everything in detail, was likely very beautiful but I found myself skipping entire paragraphs because I was bored. Sanderson's writing feels less like writing and I can get into the story much faster. It's like you said, less obtrusive. Not to mention cleaner.  :blink: Still scarred from GoT...

This. Also, GRRM is heavily involved in the creation of a moderately popular TV show, as well as an incredibly prolific editor of short story collections. He's had at least three per year the last few years, as recall.

Rothfuss, too, has rather more that he is actively involved in (teaching, fund raising, etc. )

So, the slower writers tend to have other full time jobs they are working on, while also focusing on the prose itself being as important a character as any of the protagonists.

I've now reached the point that it's hard to wait even less than a year for a new Sanderson book. I feel like he's not writing fast enough anymore ;) Maybe I am a Sanderson Junky?

Well good news bad news on that. I'm afraid that the bad news is that you are indeed a sanderson Junky and there is no known cure. The good news is that you're not alone ;)

Well good news bad news on that. I'm afraid that the bad news is that you are indeed a sanderson Junky and there is no known cure. The good news is that you're not alone ;)

Us junkies should get together once a month, maybe have some pizza, and try to talk about something other than Sanderson books (spoiler: it won't work).