What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

14 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Honestly, the world building is incredible. Very, very in depth and interesting, like I’ve been reading mostly about politics in the book but I’m enjoying it

AGH! I thought you were Fadran! I would have just asked you in person if I had know it was you Truthless :P. That’s cool though! 

2 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I finished Small Favor. That was one of the best Dresden books so far.

Good Stuff, since Monday I re-read Peace Talks and destroyed Battle Ground. 

I'm guessing this is your first time through DF? In my opinion Turn Coat and Changes are the best books in the series. They are the next two after Small Favor. Enjoy!

17 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Good Stuff, since Monday I re-read Peace Talks and destroyed Battle Ground.

on my library's wait list for Battle Ground.  got in earlier for that than I did for Peace Talks earlier this year, but i'm still expecting to wait for over a month unless the library increases the number of copies.  for some reason, the people with holds seem to take close to their full 2 weeks on these books, even though they can reasonably finished in a day or two.

11 hours ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

Anyone else like Ready Player One?

did, but -- and this may be the only thing I've said this about thus far -- I thought the movie was better. -_- (Yeah, yeah, I know. Blasphemy, sacrilege, shun the nonbeliever! and all that. Sue me. :P)

9 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Man that book was a complete disappointment and I was hyped for it. Felt the same way about Andy Weir's second book after The Martin. 

I actually really liked Artemis. Maybe it helped that there was no hype for me: the first I heard of it was seeing it on the shelf. I promptly bought it and loved it.

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

I actually really liked Artemis. Maybe it helped that there was no hype for me: the first I heard of it was seeing it on the shelf. I promptly bought it and loved it.

That’s fair. The Martian is a special book for me because it was the last one my dad and I read before he passed away. I probably had unrealistic expectations for Artemis but my main complaint was how he wrote a female protagonist. Some authors are really good at writing characters of the opposite sex but I felt like Andy Weir really missed the mark on this and it was hard for me to get past. 

I can’t get Battle Ground till I go back to Houston as my BAM is missing it’s roof thanks to the hurricane.

Cant get much reading or game time in with all this clean up consuming my days and nights but I’m enjoying WH40K book.

As for Dune I strongly disagree to stop at bk 1. Go to bk 6. Amazing stuff.

On 10/2/2020 at 0:30 PM, StormingTexan said:

Man that book was a complete disappointment and I was hyped for it. Felt the same way about Andy Weir's second book after The Martin. 

I love the Martin! One of my favs. I haven’t read Art3mis yet. . . 

Spoiler

Anyone get it?

22 hours ago, Slowswift said:

did, but -- and this may be the only thing I've said this about thus far -- I thought the movie was better. -_- (Yeah, yeah, I know. Blasphemy, sacrilege, shun the nonbeliever! and all that. Sue me. :P)

I will sue you! C‘mon. Jk. The movie is great, but compared to the book. . .  I don’t like it as much. 

On 9/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, aneonfoxtribute said:

Who is generally considered the best villain in Dresden?

I see more love for Nicodemus than anyone else.

Now I don't necessarily agree, and I won't get into why because of spoilers.  Not sure who I would say is the best villain.  Most of the best characters are on the good side.

8 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

The true great boss fight of Small Favor: Nope, I'm dumb, this is from Death Masks as @aneonfoxtribute said.

Nope.  My favorite boss fight is the one where he 

[Small Favor spoiler]

Spoiler

cashes in a favor.

“Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?”
“Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles ’pon it instead,” I said solemnly, “and frosting of white.”

Edited by Snorkel

Just finished Battle Ground of Dresden Files. Kind of disappointed to tell you the truth. The problem with making a entire book a giant battle scene is it gets boring after awhile. Somehow Joe Abercrombie made it work in the Heroes but it didn’t work so well in this book. Still the book had its moments a few surprises I didn’t see coming. I’ll still be buying the next one. This one and peace talks just felt kind of disjointed and bloated and were the weakest of the series since Fool Moon in my opinion.

Edited by Ammanas