What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

56 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Just finished Battle Ground of Dresden Files. Kind of disappointed to tell you the truth. The problem with making a entire book a giant battle scene is it gets boring after awhile. Somehow Joe Abercrombie made it work in the Heroes but it didn’t work so well in this book. Still the book had its moments a few surprises I didn’t see coming. I’ll still be buying the next one. This one and peace talks just felt kind of disjointed and bloated and were the weakest of the series since Fool Moon in my opinion.

Haven't gotten to it yet, but I could imagine how that might be the case, especially in a Dresden Files book, where there is usually (though ot always) some mystery/detective work going on that would have to be cast to the sidelines, if not abandoned entirely, for the kind of thing you describe.

4 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I recently finished the Nyxia Triad by Scott Reintgen. I picked up the first book from the library on a whim while browsing the shelves, and by the end of it I was hooked. These characters are my children.

OhmygoshIlovethatone!!!!!

Sorry. Yes.

I'm reading Symphony for the City of the Dead, a biography of Dmitri Shostakovich, as recommended to me by @Mistrunner... a long time ago. Oops. :mellow: With non-fiction, it can really take me some time to get going, unfortunately. I read a few chapters after she rec'd it and actually quite liked it, so I'm glad to finally have found my stride again! I like the author's voice -- it's not too dense or hard to understand, and he just has this quiet wit sprinkled in that I love.

I'm still not very far in, but I think I can recommend it in turn! I'll of course post again when I've finished.

Quick check-in to add something: This book (Symphony for the City of the Dead) is good, but it is by no means lighthearted. The book follows Shostakovich during the early USSR, which is just as brutal as you might expect. There's nothing too graphic as yet, but neither will you be singing about sunshine and flowers. I'm glad that the author does wax witty at points, because yikes.

Edited by Slowswift
Added title for context

On 10/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, Jaywalk said:

I recently finished the Nyxia Triad by Scott Reintgen. I picked up the first book from the library on a whim while browsing the shelves, and by the end of it I was hooked. These characters are my children.

Fun fact: the author of that series attended the same middle school I did. He came and did a signing for at least the first two.